Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone running dual borla mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone running dual borla mufflers?

ORIGINAL: Legion5

I'm bassically doing the same thing for my initial mod. What you just mentioned is bassically my biggest fear, too much drone.

I REALLY am not a fan of drone.

Do you think that running borla full pipes would lessen the undesirable sounds.
I've had the FRPP version of the Stingers on my car in two different configurations, the first was a reverse "Y" such as MAC and Ninosport sell. This worked pretty well, but there was some slight drone on the highway.

The current setup has a Pypes X-pipe feeding the Stingers. This has a nicer rumbly tone while cruising, and while the mufflers are quite audible at highway cruise speeds, it's steady exhaustnoise, not drone. (anyone that's been in a car with serious drone will know what I'm talking about. I had a pair of MAC mufflers previously that droned so bad you literally COULDN'T talk or listen to the radio while cruising. The stingers aren't like that at all.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone running dual borla mufflers?

What sort of Y pipe did you use, is the sound still muscular?

Here's a video of a v6 with Borlas... the base of what I'm working with..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ETP9G5Y4h4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXA_BpuSpKA

My main issue is acheiving that "contrast" you get with a v8, which is a very cool sound, you know... the difference between the loud tone and the soft tone between engine cycles. (that's hard with a v6 because the cylinders fire in asymetrical paterns)

I want that contrast, without getting it to sound like a vacume cleaner... that mechanical sound.

I'm looking to give my car charachter and personality... that comes with a wide range of tones, not just one boring one.

I also hate that "pop" sound some exhausts like JBA have. gah.

Yep.

On Stingers, I REALLY like how they sound at Idel, but at peak they don't seem like they are loud or deep enough. Almost like they run out of breath when the car WOT's.

There better be a solution to that, I'm prepared to go very far to get that just right sound.