Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Test Drove 05 GT 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:37 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Test Drove 05 GT 5speed

ORIGINAL: NickSezz

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

ORIGINAL: slowhiteboy

I noticed the same thing. I have an 05 V6 manual Demolet CAI and Bama tunes (currently running the 93 Torque) and test drove a stock GT manual. I didn't notice that much of a difference in either sound or perf! I know there is a lot of difference but it wasn't apparent. Also what about the V6 muffler? How much HP does it restrict?
Well, I must say that having driven both models(and having owned two different S197 GTs), the V-6 "feels" strong because of the 4.0L's torque is produced much lower in the rpm range, but on an open road where 100mph is possible(not condoning this sort of behavior, just making a point), it's not a contest(even on a tuned V-6 vs a stock GT). The GT will pull to redline(6000rpm) and wants to do more, but the electronics stop all the fun. The V-6 feels like it's gasping for breath above 5000rpms and just makes noise at that stage. A well setup V-6 makes great sense for a younger driver(trust me, if I was in my early 20's, a V-6 would be parked in front of my house) because of bang for the buck(low 14's with a tune for $15-17K if shopping wisely? Can't beat that!) and friendly insurance rates.
The two cars are for their respective audiences(as is the GT500), and you can't go wrong going Mustang.
+1 man that sounds like a far way to put it. The V6 does just die at anything over 4k rpms and makes noise...I can agree with that. The V6 definitely makes sence to a young driver (ME) This is my first car and I got it at a good price and the insurance over here in North Jersey isn't too friendly but I got a good rate...Those things together allowed me to get this car and I am grateful and take good care of it. I am the gear head type of person and I always will be searching for more. I will get a nice GT or better one day, but for now this car is fine for me to learn on and enjoy. I mean....damn...I've only had this car for a year and look whats been done to it!! (MODS below)
Finally read through this, and I love these posts, even though I'm a little late to responding.

Picked up my '05 V6 for $12,500 with 45K miles on it last week, extremely clean in and out. Leather seats, shaker, spoiler, "mustang" decal on the side door panels, fully loaded for a V6 from this year. Its my first car, I'm 18, and this car is in my eyes the perfect first car. I'm not going to say I don't envy the GTs, but the way I see it I shouldn't even be sitting in an 05 Mustang right now because I thought they would be way out of my price range. I just got really lucky at the right time.

So there's no way I would ever be able to afford a GT after 05 (much rather have an 05 V6 than a 99-04 GT just because of how retro it is), and after testing the engine in my car, I would probably kill myself in a GT with all that power. Plus, I can't complain with my insurance rate of a little under $800 every 6 months...thats not gonna happen in a GT.

I'm having my fun, and its as controled as its going to be in a pony car. And, I've already put it in a car show without feeling the least bit embarassed by it.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Test Drove 05 GT 5speed

hehe I wrote that long time agooo. lol still true though