Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questions about upgrading from a single V6 to a Gt muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Questions about upgrading from a single V6 to a Gt muffler

Go duals just for the looks I think it makes it look better I did it to my v6 when I had mine
Old 08-13-2007, 11:47 PM
nobrakes
2nd Gear Member

Duals don't add performance though go single for N/A
Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

the sound difference is VERY noticable. you will barely notice while sitting in the car, but if you go to the back of the car and have someone rev it for you, it is MUCH louder and a little bit deeper.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Paul, ask another dealer about installing duals andthe warranty. From what I understand it will not void the warranty, BUT if something from the exhaust causing problems then Ford will not cover it. As far as I know, no one who has duals, have any problems with their cars.
I called my Ford dealer to get mine installed, they recommended another shop who does all of their dual conversions.

Also keep in mind there is a Ford Part Code for dual exhaust on the V6. It is new and so far no description is made, but the number is there;

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9910

Old 08-15-2007, 01:01 AM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

More Mustang V6 exhaust sounds: FRPP M-5230 GTA single muffler, 2006 convertible, Wide Open Throttle.
Four tries, two with each of two subcompact digital still cameras on the back bumper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfEFETgvIA
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Paul, ask another dealer about installing duals andthe warranty. From what I understand it will not void the warranty, BUT if something from the exhaust causing problems then Ford will not cover it. As far as I know, no one who has duals, have any problems with their cars.
I called my Ford dealer to get mine installed, they recommended another shop who does all of their dual conversions.

Also keep in mind there is a Ford Part Code for dual exhaust on the V6. It is new and so far no description is made, but the number is there;

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9910

That's interesting - I didn't know Ford had a kit like that (not that I'm willing to pay them for it).

OP: +1 on the single GT muffler - piece of cake, no cutting at all.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 PM
swayv6
1st Gear Member

Try the link below. This page gives you a sample of sound clips from different exhaust and mufflers. The are a few before and after V6 to GTmuffler clips.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1183819/tm.htm

Old 08-16-2007, 12:46 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: illegalstealth

After 2 hours of searching, Ifound a clip for a single GT exhaust. It sounds really good.
http://transcendingtouch.com/mustang...gtmuffler1.mp3
That sound clip is from a cold start. I've noticed a big difference in sound after mine runs for a while - much better. When I first start it up and the engine is cold, it sounds a little cheesy, reminds me a little bit of a *gasp* ricer. But, once it warms up, that's when I get the nice deep sound everyone talks about.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:00 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I just installed the single take-off GT muffler last night. It took me 45 minutes and it looks like it came out of the factory that way.

1.) You don't need to cut anything from your rear bumper, it fits perfectly.
2.) With a little bit of muscle when putting on the new muffler, there is a guide pin so when it is all the way on, it should be aligned perfectly.

I plan on going with the dual exhaust also, I already have the second GT muff ready to go, but I am waiting on my rear bumper and other pipes. One thing I have been reading and keeping in the back of my mind is, I think as far as warranty/back pressure, if you went with a Y pipe there should be little to no change to the back pressure. Can anyone agree/disagree with me on this?

But the single GT take-off does sound really good. The sound clips do no justice to the real sound. I know mine has no ricy sound at all. idle/wide open throttle/or rev.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:38 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I've posted this before. I went on the GT side of the forum and asked if anyone had a right side GT muffler to sell me for my V-6. TWO guys offered it for shipping only. I had a local shop install it for me and it sounds GREAT with the V-6. It has been on there for over a year now and I love it. I have a convertible and didn't want to have the exhaust note intrude into the car, it doesn't. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Questions about upgrading from a single V6 to a Gt muffler