Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

bored out

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:32 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

Default bored out

anyone bored out their 4.0? whats the new displacement 4.2? what about increased compression on NA engine with forged internals? anyone have numbers or theoretical numbers from this setup
Old 08-14-2007, 02:39 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: bored out

I'm not sure how far out you'd be able to bore, but with newer engines, you usually can't bore it over too much (i.e. it's not a 454 that you could bore to 600). not too many people have gone the NA route, so I'd consider boosting (it's cheaper and easier).
Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

what about boring out then boosting? or is that a big no no.. just asking for trouble?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

with stock parts, that is a no-no. if you have aftermarket, and they are strong enough, then i dont see why not. and yes, 4.2 is what you would be looking at
Old 08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

i wonder if a crankshaft from the new 4.2L f150 is compatible...
Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i wouldnt try and of the stuff w/o knowing exactly what you are doing. call up powerhouse411 and SSM, they are the only ones that really have parts for our engines
Old 08-14-2007, 03:16 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

the problem with boosting AND boring is that you can crack the block (as boring the cylinders reduces the strength of the block). I wouldn't recommend boring the block out, and if one wanted more displacement, it might be a better idea to buy a built block from a reputable company
Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

with stock parts, that is a no-no. if you have aftermarket, and they are strong enough, then i dont see why not. and yes, 4.2 is what you would be looking at
There are variables involved here, too much to say 4.2 is what you would have if you bored. The displacement would be different depending on what you bored. Ive not checked to see what oversized pistons are available, but im sure there are some available since the 4.0 has been around a while..010" - .060" is usally the standards. If there is a .060" oversized piston out there dont be afraid to use it. No matter what ppl say these pistons are tried and tested and if it wouldnt work these aftermarket companies wouldnt sell something that wouldnt hold up thus making them libel for damage. If you are going F/I you can install flat top pistons therefore reducing compression ratio to compensate. The only thing I would be concerned about are the large coolant holes our blocks have thus limiting our bore size.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:36 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

There are variables involved here, too much to say 4.2 is what you would have if you bored. The displacement would be different depending on what you bored. Ive not checked to see what oversized pistons are available, but im sure there are some available since the 4.0 has been around a while. .010" - .060" is usally the standards. If there is a .060" oversized piston out there dont be afraid to use it. No matter what ppl say these pistons are tried and tested and if it wouldnt work these aftermarket companies wouldnt sell something that wouldnt hold up thus making them libel for damage. If you are going F/I you can install flat top pistons therefore reducing compression ratio to compensate. The only thing I would be concerned about are the large coolant holes our blocks have thus limiting our bore size.

thats why i left my answer open ended. however, there are two people have have bored out their engine, and they both went to 4.2
Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

yeah im not saying it wont be 4.2, but all that depends on a number of things including bore and stroke. The stroker 3.8L are 4.2L from what i have read, I dont know but I think they achieve this with stroke only and no bore

Quick Reply: bored out