Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Boost On A Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:10 PM
jjwhite4

Default Boost On A Supercharger

I have been reading all the posts and discussions regarding the advantages and disadvantages between the X Charger and Vortech superchargers. I understand that the Vortech with after cooler will produce more more power than the X Charger. I am not a guy who will run at the tracks, but I do what to get all the power out of my V6 that is possible. My question is this, if I go with the Vortech, will I have to run my RMP's all the way up to 5-6k in order to get the power out of the Vortech or will I get strong good HP and torque gains by shifting in the 3-4K RPM range? At what RPM does the boost kick in with the Vortech and make it fun as a daily driver without having to drive it too hard and stressing out my engine? I hope my questions make sense and thanks in advance for your responces.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM
TRYMY4.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Boost On A Supercharger

I have a Procharger D-1SC and I love it. Yes, as RPMs increase so does boost. unlike the roots style, they boost up very quick and are at max boost. The "turbo" style blowers put out more PSI than roots (once u get them built up). I like my setup b/c I have a FMIC and a BOV which makes it very very unique.

I drive mine 100 miles a day and I never get bored. I love my supercharger. If your car is tuned perfect u will have no problems.

I've blown up many v6 engines due to tuning issues. Once i got them all fixed i've never had a problem (also I have a built motor). I'd go with the Procharger setup. They are a better company period. Makes sure u get it tuned ASAP.

For Your Knowledge-i've got a 4.1L (bored a bit) mustang with 400hp, so do many but they are usually running turbos. If you go turbo you'll have less hp being robbed by the blower.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:07 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I have a Vortech, I can keep under boost by staying under 2.5k RPM, after that I am very likely to see a little bit. By 4.5k I am already almost at full boost. By 5K I am in full boost
Old 08-21-2007, 04:40 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

i have quad turbonators on mine, ill be releasing the new dyno numbers shortly. hopin for 450 at the wheels, and maybe 500 torque.

on a seirous note. those are my HP goals, but only with a turbo. waitin on the weather to cool down (111 today)

for a s/c to get to 400rwhp on a stock 100% longblock will rake 15-17psi and race gas. so keep that in mind. now with that said, 400rwhp is A LOT. dont let anyone tell you otherwise. its enough to go 11s in the quarter mile, and top out at over 160, 170mph if you had the gearing.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 PM
TRYMY4.0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fazm

i have quad turbonators on mine, ill be releasing the new dyno numbers shortly. hopin for 450 at the wheels, and maybe 500 torque.

on a seirous note. those are my HP goals, but only with a turbo. waitin on the weather to cool down (111 today)

for a s/c to get to 400rwhp on a stock 100% longblock will rake 15-17psi and race gas. so keep that in mind. now with that said, 400rwhp is A LOT. dont let anyone tell you otherwise. its enough to go 11s in the quarter mile, and top out at over 160, 170mph if you had the gearing.
actually not. on a STOCK block it'll hit 400 with less psi. my compression is lower, do you not remember that fazm? thats why im having a harder time.

o yea..isnt QUAD....4?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TRYMY4.0

ORIGINAL: fazm

actually not. on a STOCK block it'll hit 400 with less psi. my compression is lower, do you not remember that fazm? thats why im having a harder time.

o yea..isnt QUAD....4?
actually it would take that kinda boost. Because you have lower compression and stronger pistons you can tuen more aggressively on a given amount of boost. With our stock compression and how weak our stock pistons are when it comes to detonation, you have to be extremely conservative with the tune, and i would be surprised if anyone even hit 400rwhp on 15psi and the block lasted.

btw i doubt the vortech is at peak boost at 5k as you will continue to build boost with a centrifugal blower until redline, so literal peak boost will not be until redline unless you have setup a boost controller, which i dont think anyone has done on a centrifugal blower on the 4.0 yet.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

couple corrections.

ant: i know you have lower compression, and in theory with the same head/cam setup on the stock bottom end, it would take less boost. but remember, with P&P heads, and cams/springs to allow for better flow, and higher rpms, the difference is not that much. justing his 395rwhp on 15psi on the stock block with a vortech.

8cd: you cant tune "THAT" much more aggressive just because you have forged pistons and lower compression. what the lower compression allows you to do is run more boost, without resorting to racing fuel. so lets say i can run 14psi on pump gas, with 8.8 pistons i could probably run 17/18psi on pump gas.

the 8.8 piston is WAY to conservative. im going to be going with a 9.2 or 9.4 piston. on my trans am i went 8.2 CR and with 22psi of boost, it only made 881rwhp. if i would have gone with a 9CR or a little higher, it could have potentially hit 1000.

you live and you learn