Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Exhaust Rattles? Read this!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default New Exhaust Rattles? Read this!

Posted this in the 40c, and decided it would be helpful to the peeps here too:

So when I got my duals put in, I drove around for a bit all happy, then it started. Not a little rattle, a HUGE rattle. So obviously I was sad and looked like this >> [sm=boohoo.gif]

I called the shop the next day and told them that there was a rattle. They said that it was probably because JBA uses those clamps, and they didnt weld. They told me to bring it in to get it welded in. When I brought it in, they pulled them off, and when pulling the mufflers off, a chunk of metal fell out. There are actually chunks of metal inside the mufflers. Looks like scraps fell in after they were welded by JBA. After about 10 minutes of shaking, he got almost everything out. Started the car up, no more noise.

Not all came out, so every now and then, there is a little rattle. I am just going to pull them off again when they cool down (just drove), and get the rest out.

Moral: If you installed the exhaust yourself and think you did a poor job because there is a weird vibration, check for crap in the muffler before flipping out.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default RE: New Exhaust Rattles? Read this!

Anyone else get rattles after switching out their exhaust? I keep hearing something vibrate at certain RPM's but only for a second.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

yea the car causes certain vibrations at certain revs. Usually from somewhere from 1500-2100 rpms for most. Usually you can turn the mid-pipe and mess with the mounting point of the axleback. Kind of a pain in the butt but it's not hard to do.
-Mike

p.s.-my MRT axleback does it but i haven't fixed it yet lol...too lazy
Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Randall_S

Yes, I had a rattle from my JBA H-Pipe - Midpipes with GT-take off mufflers setup but it was only when I took a left turn.

I took it back to the guys that did it up for me and he explained that the hangers that JBA gave with the kit left a lot of play for movement. The left side of the dual exhaust I could physically move by hand (JBA Exhaust hangers) while the right was stiff and solid (Mustang stock hangers).

I went to the dealer and I bought GT, left side as that was the side I needed, muffler/ exhaust hangers. My exhaust guys slapped them in for me and now the left side is solid and no longer moves. Ford charges waaaaaay to much for the hangers, btw. We compared the JBA and the Stock hangers and there is a huge difference in quality. The Ford ones kicked ***.

(Was tapping against the tank I believe).

Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Randall_S

One more thing, I had them weld all the way up to the Mufflers. Mufflers are not welded but use the clamps. Just in case I want to get different mufflers ya know...

So the H and Mids are all welded on. I just had a problem with the lousy JBA hangers.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Welding the pipes that dont have those slip-in things are really a must do. They say that it is not needed, but if you are going to a shop to do it, get it done anyways for sure. Also, if you have problems with the JBA setup, dont blame it on drone. The JBAs dont drone lol
Old 08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

I got the same annoying rattle and Exhaust shop couldn't replicate it. This is what I found. I looked at the hinges and found one had very close tolerance and basically rubbed againsf a mounting plate during acceleration. I bend the hinge away from mounting plate and also made a cut out in the mounting plate so the hinge does not come in contact. Also wrapped the hinge with lots of duct tape just in case and since then, not a single rattle :-) Very happy camper now.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 PM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Randall_S

I went to the dealer and I bought GT, left side as that was the side I needed, muffler/ exhaust hangers. My exhaust guys slapped them in for me and now the left side is solid and no longer moves. Ford charges waaaaaay to much for the hangers, btw. We compared the JBA and the Stock hangers and there is a huge difference in quality. The Ford ones kicked ***.

Pypes also makes excellent high quality stainless hangers that are cheaper than Ford and are exact copies. Solid as a rock. Only $50 /pair on American Muscle
Old 08-24-2007, 11:56 PM
dirtriderdrew77
1st Gear Member

mine is horrible with the . i installed it myself but im taking it to ford to get it checked.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:02 PM
cptdd2002

I had a local garage in PA put my 40 series flowmaster on and no issues, only driven about 3000 miles on it so far, but it's gota sound I enjoy, grant it, my gas mileage has dropped because I don't like shifting out of 3rd.....

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Rattles? Read this!