Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
CFortin

Lightbulb Water/Meth Injection

Hey guys I see that no one has posted in this thread in a few months, but I'm hoping to get some input on an idea I've had kicking around my head lately. I have an X-Charger Hi-Po kit and was wondering if I could use water/meth injection en lieu of the xtreme intercooler set up? I was thinking that by running water/meth injection I could swap my 2.8 pulley for a 2.6. By doing this I wouldn't lose boost from the intercooler restriction and could, in theory, make more power than a standard xtreme kit if properly tuned. Once again this is only an idea. Any and all input is welcome. If I'm being dumb let me know haha. Thanks guys.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CFortin
Hey guys I see that no one has posted in this thread in a few months, but I'm hoping to get some input on an idea I've had kicking around my head lately. I have an X-Charger Hi-Po kit and was wondering if I could use water/meth injection en lieu of the xtreme intercooler set up? I was thinking that by running water/meth injection I could swap my 2.8 pulley for a 2.6. By doing this I wouldn't lose boost from the intercooler restriction and could, in theory, make more power than a standard xtreme kit if properly tuned. Once again this is only an idea. Any and all input is welcome. If I'm being dumb let me know haha. Thanks guys.
There was a kit for doing exactly that years back called the Wet-X. It was used with a 2.8" pulley. You'd probably be better off sticking with the 2.8" and having it tuned for the injection. 2.6" is probably a little too aggressive with the water/meth and no intercooler imho.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 PM
CFortin

Thanks for the fast response! I was thinking about going that route also, but I'm nervous about tuning my car to be reliant on the water/meth mix in the event of a system failure. I would like to get to 300rwhp or a little over. Would that be attainable with the 2.8 tuned with water/meth?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the fast response! I was thinking about going that route also, but I'm nervous about tuning my car to be reliant on the water/meth mix in the event of a system failure. I would like to get to 300rwhp or a little over. Would that be attainable with the 2.8 tuned with water/meth?
When my car was running the Wet-X w/ 2.8" pulley is was putting down 289rwhp. This was with a conservative canned tune though. A custom tune would probably have put it closer to 300. (this is a manual trans car)
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM
CFortin

That's good to know. That may be the direction I take. One more question since you know what you're talking when it comes to the x. I noticed on pulleyboys website they carry a 2.7" pulley for the x charger. Do you think that would be a viable option with the cooling offered by the water injection? Or would it not be worth it? Again i appreciate any help.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

If it were me, I'd stick to the 2.8" for a non-intercooled setup.

I'm also not a big fan of anodized aluminum drive pulleys. I've run them before, and the anodized coating seems to be more prone to belt slippage, the only aluminum one I was ever happy with had machined anti-slip grooves running across the belt grooves.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
CFortin

Thanks again for the help. I think I may have just gotten real lucky and found a wet-x kit for a good price. Excited to see what I can do with it
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Thanks again for the help. I think I may have just gotten real lucky and found a wet-x kit for a good price. Excited to see what I can do with it
Cool. The Wet-X is a pretty darn good setup. I was running that for a couple years before the Xtreme came out, and had a LOT of fun with it...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
CFortin

You know what's funny? Turns out the wet x kit I'm buying used to be yours haha. Where did you get your canned tune back then if you don't mind my asking?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

You know what's funny? Turns out the wet x kit I'm buying used to be yours haha. Where did you get your canned tune back then if you don't mind my asking?
LOL...that is too funny...

I purchased the whole rig and tune through Bamachips back when Doug Studdard was running it. (before AM bought the business out).

If you call Dave at Explorer Express, maybe he can help hook you up with a tune from Doug, or at least point you in the right direction?

Quick Reply: X-Charger Discussion Thread