Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Nitrous question.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 PM
fastmxer9
1st Gear Member

Default Nitrous question.

Is it pointless to run nitrous without a t-lok?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:16 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous question.

I wouldn't say pointless, just less than desireable. If max accelaration from a standing start is your main priority then there are a number of other traction related upgrades you need to also include in that list of add ons...LCA, drag radials, etc. That's the ticket to low E.T.'s
If you'd like a street equalizer to star then consider that nitrous can be used in any or all gears (WOT only). If traction is a problem don't hit it untill second gear. If you need a little extra performance, say you nose to nose with some one, just hit the button and you'll up and pull away and leave them wondering what the heck just happened

Old 09-01-2007, 04:21 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastmxer9

Is it pointless to run nitrous without a t-lok?
It could be dangerous to lose traction while rolling and spraying. Lets say you are rolling at 30, and hit the nitrous, and one wheel looses traction. One wheel would be stuck to the ground pushing forward while the other is spinning. That could make some serious problems...
Old 09-01-2007, 07:27 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Not so, its an open rear so all the power would be going to the spinning tire only. In a locking type design both wheels are driven with equal power so you could make a case for that as a possibility. However that is the same risk you face no matter when you spray or power shifting and break a tire loose. You need to know your car and road condintions...er, I mean track conditions[:@].
The danger, open diff or not, is if a spinning wheel suddenly reagains full traction, that could send you into a spin by driving one side of the car only quite suddenly as you described. Oh, and I have spun a Torino wagon (open rear of course) by punching the throttle crossing a steel grate type bridge (I was trying to spin the tires on that boat) and and soon as I hit dry pavement it did a perfect 360*.