Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

v6 4.0 heads, cam, and turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Nyjets_fan
1st Gear Member

Default RE: v6 4.0 heads, cam, and turbo

fazm knows what he is talking bout if you need info trust him
Old 09-03-2007, 01:26 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

what does "forged internals" and "built ___" mean?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Forged internals make the engine stronger and able to take more stress/hp safely. Forged internals are recommended for any car pushing 15psi or more through a turbo. And the way this guy sounds, he's gonna be pushing a lot of hp with his ideas so he better be safe than sorry. Also, I'd suggest gettinga built transmission or rebuilding ur transmission because the stock one I here israted at 350hp tops I think, U could ask fazm about ur options there. Also, a built block would be necessary too, causeI here there rated at 400hp or 450hp tops.His ideas with a 14psi turbo/heads/cam is probably gonna run at least 500hp if the turbo's not intercooled, if it is thanpossibly 600hp. And I don't know about u but if someone was turning their 210hp stock car into a car with over 500hp, than I'd suggest forged internals to be safe, it's a smart precaution with that much power $1.5k for the internals installed and ur engine is a lot more safe, but if u weren't thinking of that much hp, u could probablly get awaywith just an intercooled 11-14psi turbo and be ok I think and still have around 400hp.Sorry if someone like wickerbill, who's running subs and sound system in his car doesn't no about hardcore racing motor applications and precautions. If all u have in ur car is subs and a system, stay out of hp mods discussion, and if all ur gonna do is run a sound system in ur stang, u could of gotten a tiburon or civic and gotten better mpg to save some money.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:06 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

steelstang "forged internals" and going "built block" is the same thing. best not to give out advice unless you are 100% sure on what advice you are giving out.

transmissions are not rated in horsepower, they are rated in torque, instant torque, and constant torque. 330 instant torque is what the current t5 is rated at, mine is rated at 550-650.

forged internals (or going built block) includes installed forged rods (which we have stock), forged pistons (very important) and a forged crank if its available (which it isnt for our car). you can also upgrade studs, retainers, etc while you are in there to do everything possible.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:42 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

A question for Fazm. You mentioned you have an upgraded T5. Did you get a complete after-market T5 like from G-Force transmissions or did you rebuild your original with upgraded parts? Did you go with different gear ratios? I'm going to upgrade my transmission next spring and was looking at going with the G-Force transmission but if there is a better option I'll go for that instead. In a couple of years I'll be yanking the engine and completely redoing the internals and supercharging it. I want to get the tranny redone before then so when I gut the engine the rest of the drivetrain will be setup to handle all the extra power. I'm going to be doing my heads and maybe cams soon mainly because I want at least a little more power to tide me over until I make the big changes two years from now, I have it all planned out and barring any unforeseen catastrophe I'll have one kick butt V6 in a couple of years. My main focus for now, and has been for a while, is the suspension and drive-train components other than the motor. I want the rest of the car to be able to handle the kind of power I'll be making when I'm finished with the engine which is why I'm currently interested in the transmission. Also what clutch do you recommend for 400+ horses? Though I'll only have around 230 - 240 at the wheels when I do my heads and cams I would like to get a clutch when I replace the tranny that can handle over 400 hp for when I do supercharge it. Unfortunately I don't have unlimited money so I have to do things in stages over a period of time, which is why I'll do my heads first, maybe cams, then transmission and finally engine and supercharger along with proper cams.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Rouier
1st Gear Member

I'm not the most auto tech savvy person but I have a good amount of money and I'd like to see how fast I can get my 07 v6 stang.

I shot off an e-mail to supersix motorsports but it's labor day so I probably won't get a response from them till tomorrow.

So if I'm going to push my Mustang to the 400-500 hp range, it sounds like you guys are saying I need cam, heads, and forged internals... or do I not need all of those? do I need more?

Will my tranny last with numbers this high?

What's the website for powerhouse?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

powerhouse411.com

You will need to upgrade the trans to push 500wrhp daily.
And you will need forged internals.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:16 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vb101

A question for Fazm. You mentioned you have an upgraded T5. Did you get a complete after-market T5 like from G-Force transmissions or did you rebuild your original with upgraded parts? Did you go with different gear ratios? I'm going to upgrade my transmission next spring and was looking at going with the G-Force transmission but if there is a better option I'll go for that instead. In a couple of years I'll be yanking the engine and completely redoing the internals and supercharging it. I want to get the tranny redone before then so when I gut the engine the rest of the drivetrain will be setup to handle all the extra power. I'm going to be doing my heads and maybe cams soon mainly because I want at least a little more power to tide me over until I make the big changes two years from now, I have it all planned out and barring any unforeseen catastrophe I'll have one kick butt V6 in a couple of years. My main focus for now, and has been for a while, is the suspension and drive-train components other than the motor. I want the rest of the car to be able to handle the kind of power I'll be making when I'm finished with the engine which is why I'm currently interested in the transmission. Also what clutch do you recommend for 400+ horses? Though I'll only have around 230 - 240 at the wheels when I do my heads and cams I would like to get a clutch when I replace the tranny that can handle over 400 hp for when I do supercharge it. Unfortunately I don't have unlimited money so I have to do things in stages over a period of time, which is why I'll do my heads first, maybe cams, then transmission and finally engine and supercharger along with proper cams.
a gforce t5 and a built up stock t5 can be the same thing. the gforce is simply a kit with all the upgraded internals you need. I had mine rebuilt locally, kept the stock gear ratios.

on clutches, again this is rated by torque, not horsepower. if you are only supercharging it, then you will probably be around 400hp/400tq which would make a stage3 just fine, and a stage 2 would probably work if you didnt track it very much.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Sorry about the mishap, I got confused with the terminologywhen u said built block, I actually thought maybe it was a possibility to have the cast ironengine block taken out and forged or reinforcedor something like that. Sorry bout that.Also, while ur here Fazm, do u think i will need to upgrademy stock injectors if I go supersix motorsportsStage 2+heads/cam? I heard the fuel pump is good to close to 400rwhp, so I was just wondering.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

the stock injectors will be fine if you are staying n/a, even with heads/cams.

my fuel pump maxed out at 13psi, which is why im running 12 right now lol. im going to do the wiring upgrade, and a new fuel filter, and see if i can get 14.

Quick Reply: v6 4.0 heads, cam, and turbo