Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What next for power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What next for power?

Thanx for the help Rygen.The tires seem like a goodinvestment and easy switch,but I just found out AAA is not possible. They said if I needed a tow, they would tow me toaservice station near where I liveand would see no reason in towing me the opposite direction,to a dyno tuner over 100 miles away. So, even if I was to do the premium plan, I would need another tow from a service station to a dyno shop. So I guess my2 optionsare the non-tuner kit or blow a few hundread on towing job and another couple hundread at least on injectors. SoI think the smarter/safer decision is thenon-tuner kit. This way if I don't have time to go to a dyno the same day or no dyno shopsr open that day, I won't be screwed and have no car to drive. And if that happened towing charges would grow even more. SoI only have afew ?'s.
1.Is the vortech tune givenwith thepredator tuner a good, safe tune?
2.How manydrag runs/miles are DR's good for?
3.Do u no any good tire sites w/a good selection of DR's?
4.Is there anymore drivetrain parts that I can replace with lighter/aluminum parts?
Thanx for the help!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Was just lookin into vortech's pulley's($80 each), they have 9,10, and 11 psi pulley's that I'm thinkin of for my vortech. What's the highest I can go safley w/oan intercooler(read on first)? I really want to go at least 10psi. And since chrisc dynod 270rwhp(325hp about)on a 8.6/9spi pulley w/the system, 10psi would dyno me around340hp and an 11psi pulley around 355hp. And since max psi is 500rpm higher thanour redline's, we lose 1 psi of peak boost.So a 9psi is actually an 8psi, 10psi is a 9psi and so on. Is it possible to run a 4.0 as a daily driver safely with 350hp if safety allows it? This choice and info could really help me into running low 13's in thefuture I think. Thanx for the help ahead!
Joe
Old 09-09-2007, 01:09 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Sorry man, but those numbers are straight up impossible. Having no cooling with that much boost will cause so much heat that you will not gain any extra power. Kinda like the situation with the X, even with like 12psi, it cannot break 300rwhp
Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Thanx for the help Rygen.The tires seem like a goodinvestment and easy switch,but I just found out AAA is not possible. They said if I needed a tow, they would tow me toaservice station near where I liveand would see no reason in towing me the opposite direction,to a dyno tuner over 100 miles away. So, even if I was to do the premium plan, I would need another tow from a service station to a dyno shop. So I guess my2 optionsare the non-tuner kit or blow a few hundread on towing job and another couple hundread at least on injectors. SoI think the smarter/safer decision is thenon-tuner kit. This way if I don't have time to go to a dyno the same day or no dyno shopsr open that day, I won't be screwed and have no car to drive. And if that happened towing charges would grow even more. SoI only have afew ?'s.
1.Is the vortech tune givenwith thepredator tuner a good, safe tune?
2.How manydrag runs/miles are DR's good for?
3.Do u no any good tire sites w/a good selection of DR's?
4.Is there anymore drivetrain parts that I can replace with lighter/aluminum parts?
Thanx for the help!
I've had AAA tow my car to a Dyno shop, they are technically service shops. LOL.

1. Yes, safe enough to get you to a dyno
2. Depends on the DR, you can generally get two seasons out of a pair with regular visits to the track
3. Good site for DR's, I Summit Racing
4. Powerhouse/CHE just released a 4lb swaybar delete/rad support
Old 09-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Ok. So I'll just wait for a dyno, but with knowing that each psi pulley is one lower than it actually is, what's the safest boost I can run w/o an intercooler and what should I expect on the dyno? What's the highest I can go safely w/an intercooler and what can I expect on the dyno? DR's should last 2 seasons so, I'll use them on nice days in the summer and drag days. I'll check summit for them. Thanx for the help.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Also, how much hp does an intercooler add to a charger w/the same size pulley as a non-intercooled one? I'm gonna go JBA dual's w/ an h for exhaust, Is it ok if I do the exhaust after or should I do it before cause I'm gonna dyno tune right after the vortech? Thanx for the help again!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

PS-Is a 12psi intercooled vortech OK for daily driving? I'm thinkin of keepin this car for another 4-5yrs and want to make sure. I floor my car about once every 3 weeks and only 3/4 throttle when passing people on the highway(20 mile trip a day). Thanx!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I got some info. So all I really need to know now is 2 things, how much hp does an intercooler add to a vortech charger w/o an intercooler? And what's the highest psi I can run safely on a non-intercooled vortech? ANY info is greatly appreciated.
Thanx ahead of time!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I would not run more than 10psi on the non-aftercooled Vortech. You can run more, but because it will be making so much heat, you are not going to be making much extra power. If you add Vortech's aftercooler, you should expect to see ~40rwhp.