Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The N/A way!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default The N/A way!

I was thinking about doing a vortech charger early next year, but my dad might not allow it. It is my car but he helps with insurance, insurance is under his name, gave me $12k towards the car, and I sill live with my parents and commute to college. He said if I do anything to my car w/o his ok, I am going to have to look for another place to live($2k+ a month) and then won't be able to afford any more mods. So he said he'll think about it but its a strong no now. And since he said he's got no problems w/naturally aspirated mods, I'll look into that. I was already thinking JBA duals, w/an h-pipe, and JBA shorty headers. Maybe heads and/or cam w/dyno tune(want to see someone get a dyno 1st though w/that set-up), Andthe only other cheap HP bolt-on I could think of is the alternator UDP. Has anyone had good or bad experience w/UDP and these cars? Also, state what brand u have too. Thanx for the help!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: The N/A way!

sounds like its your dads car, if insurance is in his name so is the car.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Vortech has the 3 year powertrain warranty...maybe that will convince him?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:44 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

I don't think I've seen anyone so far try a full head/cam job and stay N/A. I'd be interested to see the gains.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

I'd go with a CAI+Tune, MAC Long Tube Headers, Dual Exhust with H Pipe (doesnt really matter what exhaust you go with), Underdrive Pulley System.

you could also ask for a supercharger with very low boost.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

First, it's not my dad's car. He's driven it twice since I got it in the spring. BTW we both have the same name except I'm Jr and insurance is only under him so I save a $1k+ a yr. I tried the 3yr warranty thing but vortech only keeps it if u stay with the 5/6psi pulley which would only net me around 40-50rwhp for $4k+. And it's cheaper N/A for me to go that way, maybe even with just heads, UDP, and a dyno I could get those gains. I wanted to do LT headers but I can't sincemy state has emissions. So I have to stick with my plan ofshorty's and dual h pipesystem. UDP will be a yes after I get some opinions. And recently I've looked into Western Motorsports ramair system for $350 thatshows dyno gains over 20rwhp on just their 80mm mafsystem w/no tune. I was wondering if the 95mm maf system would fit our cars, it doesn't say and with the numbers of the 80mm maf, I'd expect 35-50crank hp from this system at least if I get heads. It's like a mini-blower. Anyone purchased this yet? And if so, doI need to get the tuner too or is their a tunealready on my sct for it's95mm maf?
Thanx for the help!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

First, it's not my dad's car. He's driven it twice since I got it in the spring. BTW we both have the same name except I'm Jr and insurance is only under him so I save a $1k+ a yr. I tried the 3yr warranty thing but vortech only keeps it if u stay with the 5/6psi pulley which would only net me around 40-50rwhp for $4k+. And it's cheaper N/A for me to go that way, maybe even with just heads, UDP, and a dyno I could get those gains. I wanted to do LT headers but I can't sincemy state has emissions. So I have to stick with my plan ofshorty's and dual h pipesystem. UDP will be a yes after I get some opinions. And recently I've looked into Western Motorsports ramair system for $350 thatshows dyno gains over 20rwhp on just their 80mm mafsystem w/no tune. I was wondering if the 95mm maf system would fit our cars, it doesn't say and with the numbers of the 80mm maf, I'd expect 35-50crank hp from this system at least if I get heads. It's like a mini-blower. Anyone purchased this yet? And if so, doI need to get the tuner too or is their a tunealready on my sct for it's95mm maf?
Thanx for the help!
you're going to be limited on air flow through the motor, so it's doubtful a 95mm maf will do anything. If you have to stay n/a I'd look into getting air/fuel in, and out. Cams, a tuner, maybe some port work on the heads, exhaust if you want to keep away from the bottom end and a stroker kit. Gears will help make the car quicker without touching the engine. As will a traction enhancing device in the rear pumpkin. Every 10 pounds of weight takes 1 hp to move, so make sure you're not hauling any extra hp robbing weight. Quality oil in the crankcase can free up hp also. An hour or two on a good chassis dyno can maximize power you already have.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the help(read my sig already have gears and tuner), what about the 80mm maf ram air system? I am still in college so cash is limited(I should have $3k to spendby February or as I go along). So right now I'm doingshorties and duals w/h-pipe($900-$1.1k installed), UDP ($anyone no installed), and possibly heads(if I have the money)or ram air($500-$600 installed)which shows 20+rwhpgains on the dyno. But the reason for ram air not showing huge dyno gains like it should is because the car isn't moving. Like WMS said, they saw 20+rwhp gains on the dynobut the in a test run 50-100mphw/2 identical cars(except for ram air), the ram air did it in 1.5sec's quicker! That's what a car with 70+ more hp(crank) would do it in! So, w/o counting dyno #'s, theoretically u gain 2-3+X's the dyno's #'s. For weight reduction I was thinking BMR front sway/radiator support kit($180) that takes off about 40lbs and am not sure about anymore lightweight stuff i could buy. Does anyone sell cams for our car that don't need new heads? I'd look into that cause heads r expensive and with my budget I might only be able to afford the cam w/everything else. Thanx for all the help!

Joe
Old 09-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

not sure if you're running with the SCT canned tune but if you are, try a custom. you'll notice a VERY nice difference.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:15 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Thanx for the help!
dont spent to much on the car...your still in school and have more important bills. its actually your dad's car if hewont allow mods and helped out with 12K on the purchase. How about helping out your parents on some of the bills instead of spending on the car.

Quick Reply: The N/A way!