Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WMS Ram Air?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default WMS Ram Air?

Has anyone bought and installed this ram air system? If so, does the V6 model change the MAF system on our cars? Anyone Dyno? Before and After results? Thanx for the help ahead of time!
Old 09-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WMS Ram Air?

And if have had experience with this, tell me if u have tha air box/heat shield on the car too. Thanx for the help! Isaw the regular system(non-MAF changed)on the GT dyno's 20rwhp.And that 20rwhp iswhen the car isstuck on the dyno and notreally moving.If it were really moving gains would be in the 40rwhp+ department, cause that's how the ram air system is utilized/was made for. And if u don't believe on this info, check out WMS site and u will see the50-100mph test on the stock GT and one with this system. The one with the WMS system ran 1.31 seconds quicker in that test which would equate to a gain of at least 60hp crank. Thanx for the help ahead of time!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

do u have all the mods in your sig? If you already have them, this intake wouldnt make that much of a difference. It only did 19 hp more than stock (dyno they provided) on a v8.
Also, 60 hp from just an intake and tune?...lol
Old 09-12-2007, 03:55 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

yeh, its not like they made the throttle body opening any bigger....its just a different looking intake, but i doubt its much better than a jlt or a c&l
Old 09-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

yeah, I doubt u'd see those gains on the dyno, especially cause the car isn't moving, but wanted to see anybody's experiences with it. Because 1.3 sec quicker in the 50-100mph test doesn't equate to the 20rw gains. the 20rwhp gains would have been more like a .5 or .6 seconddifference top in that test if ur lucky. That's why the #'s and test don't just come out right. Anybody know who has one installed? I thought a ram air over my cai( non-tuned) would be a good enough gain(at least 10hp)sinceI don't have many more options with the N/A way. It was this, a custom shop made ram air similar, or a C&L. Still unsure but 1st hand experience would be really helpful with this. Thanx for the input though.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:15 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

my friend, the ram air effect was only primarily beneficial on carbeurated blocks, which is why they were used on old fords and chevy's (and mopar too).. The gains from a ram air are only truly beneficial at speeds of over 80mph, and there's no way with a fuel injection setup (unless it were of terminator cobra design, which had an incredibly restrictive intake) that this product would yield gains in that area. You're likely to see gains in the area of 7-12hp total... so basically what you've got right now with your "cai".
Old 09-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx, that's what I was thinkin. Ram Air is only beneficial at high mph. But I want to make sure from a guy w/first hand experience and ask him a few ?'s. So if u no anyone with this system, PM them for me and tell them about this thread, or PM me their member name. Thanx!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DelStang86

my friend, the ram air effect was only primarily beneficial on carbeurated blocks, which is why they were used on old fords and chevy's (and mopar too).. The gains from a ram air are only truly beneficial at speeds of over 80mph, and there's no way with a fuel injection setup (unless it were of terminator cobra design, which had an incredibly restrictive intake) that this product would yield gains in that area. You're likely to see gains in the area of 7-12hp total... so basically what you've got right now with your "cai".
A termi would probably not benefit very much at all from ram air. It's roots blown, no matter how fast you are forcing air in there, it is going to come out the other side of the blower at the same compression, and close to the same temperature. The only benefit there would be slightly lower iat's. There aren't really any significant gains from ram air on ANY modern production based engines.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:17 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

thanks for clarifying, but i was saying that only something with incredibly restrictive air intake would benefit; it wasn't about the block being supercharged..
Old 09-12-2007, 05:44 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

I have it on my V6 and although I don't have a before and after dyno I did get it dyno tuned. Unfortunately I had my gears changed from the stock 3.31 to 3.73 before getting the car dynoed with the WMS intake so I don't know what real difference it made. But, I had my car dyno tuned with the Steeda CAI and the stock 3.31 and got about 199 rwhp and 237 rwtq. This was done on a day where the air temp was 84 degrees. When I dyno tuned it with the WMS intake and the new 3.73 gears installed on a hot day with air temp at about 94 I got 202 rwhp and 232 rwtq. This is not much of a comparison because both runs were done on different dyno machines at two different shops and depending on how the machines are calibrated they could be off by as much as 5%, or 10 hp. But I can say the car does run a little stronger and smoother even when the engine was completely warmed up. The main thing the tech noticed was the inlet air temps. When at a stop light they were between 110 and 120 degrees. But the second he started moving the temps dropped down to around 90 degrees, or roughly the same temp as the outside air which makes sense. I've also noticed that when the outside air temp is below 80 there is a noticeable increase in performance.

This is just my personal observation on my own car. Your mileage may vary.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WMS Ram Air?