Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WMS Ram Air?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WMS Ram Air?

Thank u for ur help, that's what I was looking for. I thought that would be the case, butwanted to hear it first hand. Do u notice thedifference between thesteeda and thatjust in normal mph's(0-60) too? b/c peoplesay that the ram air isn't worth itpower wise driving at normal speeds.Do u have the air dam box/heat protector? How much of a difference is it from the steeda CAI/is there a big SOTP difference? Did u need to tune it? Where did u feel the biggest gain (mph range)with the WMS system? Sorry with all the ?'s but theres very few people with this system and the only one I can ask ?'s about it too is u. Thanx for the help again!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

I've noticed that there isn't much of a difference between the WMS and the Steeda below about 2500-3000 rpms but there is a noticable difference above 3000 rpms. As for normal highway speeds until I get up to about 75 mph there isn't much of a difference unless the pedal is at least mostly to the floor. So, above 75 mph revving over 3000 rpms it is more noticeable than with the Steeda. I notice more of a difference also when the air temps get below 80. There isn't as much of a performance drop when the engine warms up like with the Steeda. I'm looking forward to see how it runs when it gets cold, that is below 50 degrees. Unfortunately as soon as we get the first ice or snow the car gets put up for the rest of the winter, I have a truck as my daily driver and the Mustang is just the play car. I do have the ram air box. I think without the ram air box the inlet air temps would remain around 110. The Steeda ram around 100 degrees. That's where the WMS with ram air box is different. Once I get moving the inlet air temps plummet. Do I think is was worth the extra money? Strictly from a hp gain perspective it's not very cost effective. So if you want the best bang for the buck then other CAI kits would be better. But for efficiency, functionality and just plain cool looks I do think it is worth the extra cash. I haven't gone to the track yet but I do pan on doing that next month so I'll have a better idea what my WMS, gears, shorty headers and SCT2 mods will do for the car. I have had it up to about 95 already, didn't realize I was going that fast. Some jerk in a BMW decided he wasn't going to let me merge onto the Washington Beltway. At any rate the car ran quite smoothly and accelerated the very well despite the fact that it was a hot 90+ degree day.

On another subject. If you don't already have an aluminum drivershaft I would highly recommend one especially if you have any driveshaft vibration at high speeds. That was my problem. When I went to the 3.73s I got some nasty vibration above 80 mph with the stock driveshaft. Changed it for an aluminum one and it's as smooth as silk now all the way up to 120, on a dyno machine anyway. I've never gone that fast on the street, nor do I intend to.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for all the info, have the aluminum DS and it fixed the gears shake. Definitly gonna go this route and get the WMS air intake w/heat shield box thing. Should see agood difference over my non-tuned cai now, and a great difference during WOT and quick accelerations. AndOnly 1 ? u didn't answer, Did the WMS need to be tuned by a tuner? Thanx again!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

No. it doesn't need to be tuned. I ran it for a while with the stock tune then installed the Steeda tune and it ran fine with both. I never got the CEL. I have since gotten it dyno tuned though I didn't pick up much more horsepower over the Steeda tune.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the help.So would u suggest running it with the steeda tune? more power w/it on the steeda over stock? Gonna definitly get this after I get my full exhaust done and have the money for it. Exhaust I'll do by the end of october. And I hope to have enough money to do the WMS air intake by January the latest, might do some weight reduction in between. Then B A M A tune time. Thanx again for all ur help!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

You would probably get more out of it with the Steeda tune. It probably has a bit of a timing advance. IMO you should contact B*ma chips about getting a tune, I would bet they could hook you up.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Gonna get a B A M A tune when exhaust and ram air is done. Don't want to waste the $75 and lose a few horses. I no their good, but I'm gonna wait. Thanx for the help, will use the steeda tune w/it then as long as I don't get CEL.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Just to make sure, if I run it with the steeda tune and theirs no CEL, the engine will be fine right?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:33 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Ya know, with almost all aftermarket CAI's, the air filter is right behind the driver's side headlight. You could always remove the headlight assembly to allow cold air access to the CAI filter. It wouldn't be ram air, but it would bring in cooler air than that what is under the hood. Removing the headlight assembly isn't easy - you have to pull off the front bumper (the first time), then you can modify the assembly by removing a couple of tabs so it can be quickly unbolted at the track. Again, it's not ram air - only a way to lower the AIT a bit. And cooler air helps makes more power. Another consideration: making the headlight bucket removable costs zero dollars, but a ram air package will cost you a few bucks.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the idea. But the wms system has a proven heat guard to keep the intake air cool. And Ram Air sucks air better above 3k rpm b/c of where it is and the size of its filter, so if I needed it, it would work better than that idea or any other cai. Thanx anyway!