Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

new stuff [VMP CAI, tune, gt take-off exhaust, stripes]

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:24 PM
dalbert
1st Gear Member

Default new stuff [VMP CAI, tune, gt take-off exhaust, stripes]

Yesterday and today I installed a GT take-off muffler (manual), VMP CAI, and tune from VMP (sct xcal2). Got the 87 performance, 87 gas mileage, and 93 performance tunes. I currently have it on 87 performance. Drove it around for quite a while today and noticed somewhat of a difference over having no tune. Supposedly tuning is supposed to make a huge difference on automatics, but I was only somewhat impressed. The car isn't faster but I did notice more responsiveness. Maybe I need a supercharger

The CAI install and flashing was very simple, VMP had some great simple instructions and took me all of maybe 20 minutes to get everything put on. Ill try driving it harder and see what it's full potential is.

Also I barely hear a sucking noise from the CAI, even with the windows down and music off. Is it supposed to be loud or no?

Also (call me a fool) I installed the factory rocker stripes, bought em from graphic-express. Most people say theyre ugly and tell people to take them off, but ever since I bought it from the dealer I've always longed for the stripes, make it look more six. They look great and were a very simple install..pics soon.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: new stuff [VMP CAI, tune, gt take-off exhaust, stripes]

ORIGINAL: dalbert

Yesterday and today I installed a GT take-off muffler (manual), VMP CAI, and tune from VMP (sct xcal2). Got the 87 performance, 87 gas mileage, and 93 performance tunes. I currently have it on 87 performance. Drove it around for quite a while today and noticed somewhat of a difference over having no tune. Supposedly tuning is supposed to make a huge difference on automatics, but I was only somewhat impressed. The car isn't faster but I did notice more responsiveness. Maybe I need a supercharger

The CAI install and flashing was very simple, VMP had some great simple instructions and took me all of maybe 20 minutes to get everything put on. Ill try driving it harder and see what it's full potential is.

Also I barely hear a sucking noise from the CAI, even with the windows down and music off. Is it supposed to be loud or no?

Also (call me a fool) I installed the factory rocker stripes, bought em from graphic-express. Most people say theyre ugly and tell people to take them off, but ever since I bought it from the dealer I've always longed for the stripes, make it look more six. They look great and were a very simple install..pics soon.

i love my rocker stripes! And the 93 octane tune will give the most power difference. I'm not sure about the sucking sound on these cars, on the old 3.8L it was pretty common to hear some sucking with a CAI so it may be the same for this car. I'll let others who have the CAI installed comment.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I like my rocker stripes too!
Make sure you keep something on them like Aerospace 303 Protectant to keep the vinyl from cracking.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

I like my rocker stripes too!
Make sure you keep something on them like Aerospace 303 Protectant to keep the vinyl from cracking.
with my 02 mustang I would just wax them like the rest of the car, and I never had any problem with the tape stripe cracking or anything like that. So i think regular wax and such helps protect them too.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:51 PM
dalbert
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred02

ORIGINAL: dalbert

i love my rocker stripes! And the 93 octane tune will give the most power difference. I'm not sure about the sucking sound on these cars, on the old 3.8L it was pretty common to hear some sucking with a CAI so it may be the same for this car. I'll let others who have the CAI installed comment.
I forgot to ask about that! I definitely think I'm going to switch to the 93 tune after I'm done with this tank. I don't need to flush the fuel lines or anything like that right? Using up as much as possible ( almost empty ) of my current 87 gas in my tank and then filling up with 93 is the correct way to do it right?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

You gotta use the 93 tune. I would never use anything but it.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

use the 93, that will give it a kick

but yes, you do need a supercharger
Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

When I put my 93 tune on and C&L I noticed a big differnce. So run the 93 and u should be happy with it.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I saw a considereable gain on the 93 canned tune over the 87 canned tune. So if u go 93 performance u should see a big difference. And be happy u don't here the cai sucking sound. I have it constantly with mine in regular driving. Any time I go ove 1500rpm I here it loud and annoying, especially since it overpowers my exhaust sound. That's one of the reasons I'm going duals and headers. Also, if u want to see nicegains, a t-lok and 4.10's would have seen more of a gain over a cai and tune I believe, not sure though. good luck w/ur plans!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i agree with the others. you definately need to install the 93 tune before you make any final judgements. the higher octane tune is where you'll feel the most difference. i have Bamma's tunes and recently used the 87 perf tune for a trip i took and it was a noticeable drop in performance from my 91 torq and 91 race tunes.

Quick Reply: new stuff [VMP CAI, tune, gt take-off exhaust, stripes]