MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   Rotrex Supercharger? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/345623-rotrex-supercharger.html)

05BlackPony 09-15-2007 03:18 PM

Rotrex Supercharger?

I'm not sure how old this article is, but it is interesting none the less!

Classic Design Concept's "6ix"
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea..._v6/index.html

After reading that is uses a pretty sick S/C unit, I googled it to see what more I could find, and found this;
http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/c-79-su...ng-rotrex.aspx

Another 4.0 S/C kit soon?? Anyone know anything about Rotrex superchargers?

dmhines 09-15-2007 03:35 PM

RE: Rotrex Supercharger?

Nice looking unit ... I like the plumbing on this one ...

http://images.mustang50magazine.com/..._v6+engine.jpg

05BlackPony 09-15-2007 11:41 PM

Yea, it's pretty stealthy under the engine bay. Unreal the impeller winds up over 100,000 rpm!

8cd03gro 09-16-2007 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Nice looking unit ... I like the plumbing on this one ...

http://images.mustang50magazine.com/..._v6+engine.jpg

looks like a bitch to install though lol.

DelStang86 09-17-2007 12:16 AM

anyone contact the company and ask about pricing? I'm pretty interested. well, probably not, so I guess I'll contact them.

DelStang86 09-17-2007 11:27 AM

around 4k. plus or minus a couple hundred. the c38 trim is capable of 300-630hp.

dmhines 09-17-2007 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: DelStang86

around 4k. plus or minus a couple hundred. the c38 trim is capable of 300-630hp.
Does that include custom tunes? Did you talk to them? I noticed some of there other products did not including custom tuning.

DelStang86 09-17-2007 11:34 AM

that's just for the kit. you should take it in for a dyno tune anyway.

Ken04 09-17-2007 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: DelStang86

that's just for the kit. you should take it in for a dyno tune anyway.
most of Rotrex's product is designed for small bore european engines. They have developed a kit for the GM Suburban but haven't concentrated much on US cars as it's cheaper and easier for us to just buy a bigger engine. You can't really do that in Europe. Rotrex makes very well built and designed systems, they're a good company.

Dennis074.0 09-17-2007 11:50 AM

I must be the only one that likes a big supercharger that just sticks out (like the paxton-novi, or vortech) I think its looks sick especially polishedwith an intercooler.

DelStang86 09-17-2007 11:51 AM

Remember, our block design is European;)

Trmachuno 09-17-2007 11:58 AM

looks interesting, but at $3.8k-$4k I'd rather go STS/Powerhouseturbo-9psi or ic-vortech at 11psi, maybe more.Those brands r more proven and would easily put out 320rwhp(370hp+ crank)or more with those set-ups. It's a nice find though and looks sick, but definitly not worth it at that price. Good Stuff!

DelStang86 09-17-2007 12:31 PM

well, when you consider how much more reliable the supercharger HAS ALWAYS BEEN over turbos, and the fact that it has a self-contained oil system, it's totally worth the money... I'm considering just buying the unit and fabricating the brackets and tubing myself. and when you consider that on a 3.0L to 6.0L engine they are capable of running up to 620hp, it's worth it. Oh, and it's a silent supercharger, so it's a perfect sleeper setup.

DelStang86 09-17-2007 12:35 PM

I'm personally not interested in having to tap the oil pan for FI, considering there's the possibility that the turbo won't be able to scavenge oil from the pan in high-speed cornering. It's not all about 1/4s.

Trmachuno 09-17-2007 12:41 PM

Not worth the money, the intercooled vortech is aSUPERCHARGER andwith anINTERCOOLER it still costs less than that supercharger. Self contained oil systems r on most if not all superchargers. Anyone can run that high of boost on any engine with any supercharger, but w/o an intercooler or forged internals, over 10psi of boost dyno #'s fade from overheating the charger and the engine will blow from too much hot airforcedin the engine. If it had an ic like the vortech model than u can probably safely run 12-14psi(might need forged internals)which will still only get u around 350rwhp+(415hp+ crank). Ur not going to see over 420 crank unless u forge the internals which will cost another $2k-$4k and get an inter/aftercooler($500-$1.5k installed). So overall, it's definitly not worth it! hope this helps u understand.

Trmachuno 09-17-2007 12:45 PM

Forgot to mention, with vortech's systems u can purchase a 3yr/36k mile warranty for their superchargers.

DelStang86 09-17-2007 01:09 PM

well, whatever you say, mister mechanic. Not all of us need our mods completed within a six month span. Why don't we just wait for the kit to come out and see what's offered with it.

Dennis074.0 09-17-2007 01:25 PM

thats one of the nicest interiors I've seen in a 'stang

Trmachuno 09-17-2007 01:42 PM

Hey! Don't make fun of my planning! I need to write stuff down so I don't forget it!;). Sorry if I offended, but why would u go with a GM/Chevy enginesupercharger that won't out perform other proven chargers on mustangs already?The gains won't be as much as a turbo or ic-roots or centirfugal supercharger. It just won't be possible for it to outperform it dollar for dollar. But, it would be interestingto see one on a mustang(hint hint, u buy it when it comes out and tell us about it).

DelStang86 09-17-2007 01:51 PM

I'm saying, I've seen this type of supercharger on cars before (I have a number of friends with Euro cars, audi's, vw's, porsche) and they fly like you wouldn't believe. for example, my friend took his 1.8T, converted it to one of these types of superchargers (it's a centri), and he was pushing over 300 to the wheels; quietly. Of course he couldn't hook up anymore, but you could barely hear the s/c. They make an amazing amount of hp, are offered for a huge variety of cars (the w2w site caters mostly to GM, which alot of companies such as Vortech tend to do), are quiet, has good adiabatic efficiency, and is compact (they are much smaller than a typical centri). I just don't think we should trash a kit that hasn't made it onto the market yet. It has alot of potential, and I'm contacting the company that sells the kit and finding us more details.

DelStang86 09-17-2007 01:55 PM

Our kits certainly are not cheap. They are engineered to be the most
refined product in the market, not necessarily the fastest. The
standard package for $4,000 is a C30-94 charger with controls and all.
The bracket was designed to be capable of handling a C38 supercharger
housing for anyone looking to make fairly high power. It sounds like
just a mounting and drive system with C38 charger would be more in line
with what you are looking to do. The price on that will be $3000 or
less.
-Mr. Hayes from w2w

DelStang86 09-17-2007 01:57 PM

so... c30-94 according to rotrex themselves is capable of producing between 200 and 400whp.. I want to run a c38.

Trmachuno 09-17-2007 02:06 PM

I understand ur point, but when u push over 10psi on any non-intercooled charger-turbo or super, gains level off and the engine has a large possibility of over heating and dying. U can't possibly make more than 300rwhp(even with full exhaust)on any non-intercooled supercharger w/o it damaging the engine or overheating the charger. people have seen more than 300rwhp easily w/11psi IC-vortech's. People can't get over 290rwhp w/non-ic vortech's-even at 11psi. It's just not-possible or safeto push that big of #'s on a non-ic supercharger. Turbo's cando that, but they work different. And by looking at their site, they sell no chargers ic under $5k and around that price it won't even come with the fuel system upgrade or tune/tuner($600-$900). If it were $4k ic system than maybe it's worth it if it dyno's gains at least 5rwhp more per psi than the vortech-ic system, but that's just not gonna happen. If u like it then go for it, but I would suggest otherwise.

DelStang86 09-17-2007 02:09 PM

like i said, that was 300whp on a 1.8L vw.. You can get an air to fluid heat exchanger for about 300. I've got some friends that know how to weld, so we can fab something up.
The head unit itself is quality, and about 2500$.. all you need is some pipes, a new maf, injectors, and the head unit and an intercooler and you're good to go. of course, I'd be looking into a new set of studs as well.

DelStang86 09-17-2007 02:12 PM

http://www.jacksonracing.com/production.htm

you don't always need to go through one company to get the products you're lookin for either;)

DelStang86 09-17-2007 02:15 PM

scratch jackson racing. But if you look at active autowerke, they sell rotrex kits for bmw

DelStang86 09-17-2007 02:16 PM

Our turn key set-up is currently slated for Diablo Sport controls with
our custom tune. It does not come with an intercooler or need one at
moderate boost levels. In order to run a C38 and run high boost, an
intercooler would be required.

-Mr. Hayes

Trmachuno 09-17-2007 02:17 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. Show me it when the site comes out with it. And if it does come out at those prices and those power #'s than they will sell more of those than the X-Charger. I highly doubt those #'s. Unless u got dyno sheets, no dice mr.hayes:eek:. 400rwhp is hard enough to have on a stable built engine with a supercharger that has an intercooler let alone a turbo, and r u serious about reliability w/those #'s? Show me sheets and then I'll believe u. And tell Mr.Hayes to dyno one himself w/it and run it at the track if he wants sales!

DelStang86 09-17-2007 02:28 PM

it's not w2w that's making HP claims! they're basing everything off of testing they've already done with their kit, and the experience of rotrex, who has been in business for a while![:@].. if you're not interested, fine. Just quit trying to discredit a company that's already developed multiple systems for high performance motors. It's not even on the market yet, and with you bashing people like that, start-up companies are gonna lose a lot of business.

Trmachuno 09-17-2007 02:39 PM

I'm just saying, we already no non-ic superchargers limits on the 4.0, no one can get above 290rwhp on non-ic superchargers even at high(not moderate) boost. I'm not discrediting their #'s on OTHER motors. I'm just saying it'simpossible to push 300rwhp or moreon any non-ic supercharger for the 4.0. It's not possible w/oan intercooleror a turbo to see 300rwhp on moderate boost. It's just proven facts. Nothing u can do about it. Stop saying they say this hp and that hp when it hasn't even been put on our engines yet. When it comes out we'll no, but based onproven FACTS, it's impossible to do what ur saying. It'd be nice to see but won't happen.Good Luck if that's gonna be ur project though!