Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

For those with a manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:32 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

Default RE: For those with a manual

Im not sure, but i think all the other v6s had a t-5 tranny as well, but for the 05s+, the shifter is not directly on top of the transmission and its a remote shifter, which could be cause for this
Old 09-17-2007, 01:45 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

granny shifting, not double clutching like you should!

sorry, couldn't resist. lol
Old 09-17-2007, 02:07 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

...quote "F&F"
Old 09-17-2007, 03:54 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

There are a couple questions I might be able to help out with...

First of all, I have also driven several manuals before this car. For starters, 1976 and 1978 Alfa Romeo (no power anything so I can't complain), 1990 Geo Storm, 1996 Saturn, 1997 Honda CRX, 1976 Blazer, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, 2002 SS Camaro, Audi TT, 2003 BMW M3 and the list goes on. You can see the diversity there though. The M3 had the shortest, smoothest shift I've ever driven. But that's also a $50K+ car, you get what you pay for. I like the shift of the Mustang though, the notchiness is a form of confidence for me. Reminds me of older muscle cars I've driven in the past. You just have to get used to it. Drive a 76 Alfa Romeo and then see if you complain

Also, about shifting without the clutch...that's for skilled drivers only IMO. Unless you're wealthy and can afford to replace your sychros and transmission more than regularly. My boyfriend does that in his 2006 Dodge Ram, not as easy to do in his Blazer but works nonetheless. He's a very confident driver and can fix anything though. I personally don't like to, on most cars, there is a clutch for a reason. If you're not very familiar with cars or driving, just stick with the normal ways.

As far as downshifting to 1st gear, I do it quite often. A lot of times in traffic and commuting. Usually, I'm going no faster than 15-20 when I do that. I prefer to slow down that way instead of slamming on the brakes. You just don't want to let off the clutch too fast...gotta be steady with it.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:09 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

yeh this really bothers me...sometimes the shifting is really nice though, other times its crappy beyond belief. Going into first and reverse (no synchros) is even more of a hell. one time i thought it was in reverse and I started going but then as i released the clutch there was a lot of grinding ick. Now also, my friend in his car, downshifts into first? wtf? If i even dared doing that on this car a....it would not go in, it never goes in when im moving, and b. it would just be really odd Do any of you guys downshift to 1?
My other Mustangs had a straight shot from 5th to reverse. I always park in 1st, and had problems going from parked 1st to reverse - it helped to slip it over to 5th first, and then into reverse - worked every time. I've never had many problems with rolling to a stop and then shifting from any forward gear to reverse.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

I think that Ford accually designed some "notchiness" into the tranny as well as other retro "feels" about the car. I always liked the 05+ mustang but it wasn't till I drove one that it really got me. I was expecting to drive a "new feeling" boreing car. But when I drove my car I was surprised that though it was evident that the car was a technoligicaly modern car, Ford somehow was able to design that 60's feel into the driving experience. I remember this "feel" with the first few cars I owned back in the 70's.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the great feedback on the clutchless shifting. I assumed there was a reason clutches were in the car...I'm going to stick with using it too. I've driven stick shifts all my life and just never heard of that before but I'm sure you're right that semi trucks have way different trannys in them.

I never downshift into first. I've tried it before and it sounds like it's way too hardon both the clutch and the engine. I figure breaks are better. When I have tried it, as a matter of fact,it not only was difficult to go into first but alsojust doesn't sound good when doing it. I'm way better off just coming to a complete stop and then shifting into first.

I also put my vote in with the ones who kind of like the notchiness becuase I know 100% that I'm in gear. I've driven some cars that are sloppy and you "hope" you're in gear.It gives a sturdiness feeling IMO.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Will a driveshaft make a difference in shifting? I haven't heard anyone make any knid of reference to that.
ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

Replace the driveshaft (pretty much required on the V6 anyways) and install a short shifter.

Problem solved....mostly.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

ive been meaning to ask this question for a little while.when i floor it from a stop, i go 1st to 2nd and then i hit the speed limit and try to go into 5th, but when i try to go into 5th, it sounds like my gears are grinding like no other. anyone know what this is?
thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 12:17 AM
angera

I brake a little downshift to 2nd, ease up on the clutch and let the engine stop the car. I only use first to start moving or on hills. I've always done that and my last manual never needed a new clutch or brakes after over 100k. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it's worked for me.

As for shifting without the clutch, you have to be really intuned to your car. I mean, you have to be its lovah.One of my friend's bf was able to do that when the clutch pedal decided to fall out and they had about 45 miles until they made it home. However, this is like an 80s beemer. Not a brand spanking new Mustang. I wouldn't do it myself unless I just really enjoyed destroying cars and wasting my money.

So I guess I don't have a lemon. I just have a normal notchyass mustang. I'll try to find the purple goop and see if it helps. I'm not buying a new drive shaft and all of that nonsense. I didn't pay $20k to sink another however much into it. <./old ppl grouching>

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: For those with a manual