Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

For those with a manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:07 PM
angera

Default For those with a manual

I couldn't find this anywhere else...

I am not a car person. I do not know jack about cars. So I am asking this as someone completely and utterly ignorant of cars.

What the hell is up with the manual shifter on the v6? Ok, I've owned two other stick shifts. One, a '94 tercel which shifted smoothly but was a bit like pulling the crank at the slots (long wayto each gear.) My second was an '04 civic. Smooth, bee boo bop short distance to the next gear. Mustang? The first few days I had to search around for the gears. Ok, normal getting used to a new car. But damn, the thing is notchy, as in I have to push through one or two notches to get it in...and I have to really push it into position. Yes, the cluth is in when I shift. Will the thing loosen up over time or s this normal or do I have a lemon?

Old 09-16-2007, 11:20 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Default RE: For those with a manual

Replace the driveshaft (pretty much required on the V6 anyways) and install a short shifter.

Problem solved....mostly.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:24 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: angera

I couldn't find this anywhere else...

I am not a car person. I do not know jack about cars. So I am asking this as someone completely and utterly ignorant of cars.

What the hell is up with the manual shifter on the v6? Ok, I've owned two other stick shifts. One, a '94 tercel which shifted smoothly but was a bit like pulling the crank at the slots (long wayto each gear.) My second was an '04 civic. Smooth, bee boo bop short distance to the next gear. Mustang? The first few days I had to search around for the gears. Ok, normal getting used to a new car. But damn, the thing is notchy, as in I have to push through one or two notches to get it in...and I have to really push it into position. Yes, the cluth is in when I shift. Will the thing loosen up over time or s this normal or do I have a lemon?

the T5 is notchy, a short throw shifter will help, but it's a notchy transmission. it is not a smooth shift...sorry.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Honestly, no. Short shifter will help but the tranny is just not very good. I've heard replacing the tranny fluid with royal purple can help but have yet to try this.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Fyrewalker
1st Gear Member

The transmission/shifting is very notchy, I put in a Hurst short shifter, while I love the shorter shifts, I think it actually feels "more" notchy. I think the stock shifter was pretty smooth, just too long between throws. I have come to expect the notchiness, I might even miss it if it were all gone. Outside of spending a lot of money you may just have to learn to love it.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:18 AM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Good topic, I thought the exact same thing when I got my stang but it has loosened up a little bit over time.I've got about 4000 miles on it so far.

Although, here is my question.... talking to a friend who is a truck driver, he said he never uses his clutch to shift between gears. The only time he uses to clutch is for reverse or when he stops/starts. He said he used to drive his old pickup truck that way too. He said you don't need to use the clutch to shift between the gears and this would make the clutch last a long time. Is this true??????? I've always been taught that whenever you move that shifter that the clutch should be used. Anybody out there know anything on this topic?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
sleeper07

it is true, you CAN shift a manual without using the clutch; however, you have to be really good at doing 'power shifts' and its really easy to screw up. you have to make your shift at the exact rpm required for whatever gear you're wanting to shift into, and that rpm is whatever you believe to be correct based on your experience with the car. but, assuming that you are correct in determining the exact time to make the shift, you must also be able to rip the shifter into the desired gear as fast and as hard as possible. any slight hesitation or lag or weakness in your shift will result in a lot of painful gear grinding. i personally dont recomend 'power shifting' because knowing that exact rpm range for each gear isnt usually consistant with every car due to driving conditions and situations and it may fluctuate accordingly. also, like i said before, any hesitation in the shift itself and you're screwed lol. not to mention that shifting normally is already clunky enough for us. genreally speaking, shifting without a clutch is something that a lot of truckers/semis do, but, if you can do it, it may save you some time in 0 to ? time. im curious to know if anyone on here has ever tried this in their car and if it is how they normally drive
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: red07Pony

Good topic, I thought the exact same thing when I got my stang but it has loosened up a little bit over time.I've got about 4000 miles on it so far.

Although, here is my question.... talking to a friend who is a truck driver, he said he never uses his clutch to shift between gears. The only time he uses to clutch is for reverse or when he stops/starts. He said he used to drive his old pickup truck that way too. He said you don't need to use the clutch to shift between the gears and this would make the clutch last a long time. Is this true??????? I've always been taught that whenever you move that shifter that the clutch should be used. Anybody out there know anything on this topic?
That may be true with upshifting from 2nd to 5th but I doubt he can downshift without grinding gears and if he is messing up gears then a clutch is cheap by comparison.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red07Pony

yes you can do this, however the money you save on clutch life may go to new synchros, and stripped gears if you aren't really good at it. I don't recommend it, but to each his own.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Fyrewalker
1st Gear Member

"When your foot is off the pedal, the springs push the pressure plate against the clutch disc, which in turn presses against the flywheel. This locks the engine to the transmission input shaft, causing them to spin at the same speed."
Therefore by shifting without the clutch you would be performing the manual action at the expense of metal on metal until the synchros align and the engine and transmission again lock and continue to spin. There are some that like to match the RPMs correctly then the clutch is not needed. Many truck drivers do drive like this often, after driving a truck for awhile I hated shifting all the time, especially the lower gears, which depending on the truck, barely got you moving. My car however, is not as arduous to shift. There is a reason the engineers put clutches in cars and it isn't just so you can stop without stalling~!

Bottom line, it is your car, match the RPMs and shift clutchless if you dare, but if your off it could certainly cause costly and premature wear and tear on your transmission. I had a friend (key word "had") who used to do this in my old car, funny, he never did it in his...)

Quick Reply: For those with a manual