Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Heads and Cam final debate!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Heads and Cam final debate!

and if the guy you know only put the heads on and didnthave his engine retuned, its no wonder he didnt have hardly any gains, and hes probably gonna have engine problems too. you can have all the HP potential in the world, but if your engine isnt properly tuned, youre never gonna see any of it.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:07 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07lane40

and if the guy you know only put the heads on and didnthave his engine retuned, its no wonder he didnt have hardly any gains, and hes probably gonna have engine problems too. you can have all the HP potential in the world, but if your engine isnt properly tuned, youre never gonna see any of it.
He had it retuned. And it was stage 2 heads, no replacment valve springs. After doing the heads and cams, his car went 9.220@77.72 and that was on a peg leg I believe. Just the heads, exhaust, CAI and tune on streets. Thats an exceptional 1/8th time and he could potentially break into 13.8's with more bolt ons, tires and some weight savings. He races with his spare tire, subwoofers and all that jazz in his car.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:38 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

so Rygen, did he really only dyno a 15hp crank gain? or at the wheels? and if he got new valvesprings he would see better gains, correct? because if thats all you really get it seems kinda pointless, unless you go f/i. i personally want to stay NA, but im not sure i want to drop that kind of cash into it if all im gonna net is 15 crank hp, but if new valvesprings and a higher compression piston and such will net me 60+ rwhp, I'd be all for it.

and does anyone know of any good speed shops in the Columbus, Ohio area? im lookin for one for my stang, and my dad needs someone for his Vette, im just wondering if theres anyone reputable near by that someone could recommend me to.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Just looking around and notice that engine and other body shops will only charge $450-$750 to port and polish heads. What gains do u think someone would see from dynoing these heads? U would save around a $1k doing it this way, so I was wondering. Also, I read shops charge $200-$350 to regrind cams. What gains would u expect to see from that? And what gains on them together? Either way, this seems to be the best path for anyone wanting to do heads and cam. All u would need is a dyno tune after this.They should just search for a shop by them and (as long as they can live w/o their car for a few days) have it done. This would save $1k+ and shipping costs. Also, I don't know how restrictive our intake manifolds are, but I believe shops charge around $500-$700 for upper and lower. U got an idea for gains on that or is it not worth it?And just to tell people, if ur going heads and cam, buy alarger tb so u can max more gains(10-15hp more)out ofur car!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Bumping for answers, Any Ideas?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

you need to keep in mind those are very generic port and polish jobs and regrinds. You either have to give them the specs you want or changes will be very mild. there is almost no r&d involved in that process.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:57 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

if u wnat to get a good idea about porting the heads, just take a look at the old 2 valve gt's. granted they have 2 more cylinders, but the over head cam design is the same. start learning to do the math in the head work, or talk to someone who knows a great deal about it. more air and fuel = more power. heck try and open up the intake maifold a bit. let more air into the runners where they flow into the heads themselves. yea we have V6's but the great thing about the internal combustion engine is... they all work on the same concept.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

im not very familiar with cam specs, can anyone give me good agressive cam specs?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

keep in mind that a cam tht is too aggresive will kill the daliy driveablity. i wish my dad was still alive, cuz he knew his shyt when it came to heads and cams. i never got the math the way he did.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

if u wnat to get a good idea about porting the heads, just take a look at the old 2 valve gt's. granted they have 2 more cylinders, but the over head cam design is the same. start learning to do the math in the head work, or talk to someone who knows a great deal about it. more air and fuel = more power. heck try and open up the intake maifold a bit. let more air into the runners where they flow into the heads themselves. yea we have V6's but the great thing about the internal combustion engine is... they all work on the same concept.
Which 2V 5.0L GT engines are you talking about?? I never knew of ANY being overhead cam. And any ideas on opening up that manifold?? Kinda hard to do any machine work on a composite intake manifold. And what is too aggressive of a cam duration in your opinion? More cam duration means that the valves stay open longer, meaning you have more intake air pulling in on downstroke and after compression the exhaust valves stay open longer so exhaust gases can escape more effeciently. Also with more duration comes the need to retard or advance the timing so that on split overlap your piston doesnt hit the valves.

Quick Reply: Heads and Cam final debate!