Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

To dual or not to dual..

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:14 PM
petestang

Default To dual or not to dual..

....that is the question.

Hey guys, I have an 05 V6, and after much research by combing thread after thread, and listening to sound clips, I went ahead and bought some GT take off mufflers off of ebay. To me they sounded more realistic, and more real- like they should be on the car. They just sounded better than any aftermarket systems I heard (not to mention alot cheaper). So anyway, when they came in, I went ahead and installed the passenger side, just to see how it sounded it person. WOW it sounded nice. Not only that, the performance gained just from doing this was amazing. It is now quicker off the start, and does not hesitate when accelerating at higher speeds. I could never get my tires to even make a peep before, and now I can get some noise out of them.

So anyway, here is my concen...Like I said, my original intention was to go dual, but now I am scared. I am so happy with the little performace gains I got out of just swapping mufflers, I don't want to mess it up. So what I want to know is...did anyone have a take off GT muffler on one side for a while before puting in the drivers side and going dual? Did it make a difference in sound and performance? Did it make it better, worse or did it do nothing-performance wise. I just don't want to spend the money, and then lose what I have gained. If it makes it better, or even stays the same, I will go ahead and do it, just for the looks alone..if it makes it worse, than I don't know..any advice/suggestions would be appreciated..thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:49 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: To dual or not to dual..

Never fear, duals are here!

You do not lose performance by going duals.

Go with a true dual system that keeps your cats intact.

You will have enough back pressure and the gains you get on the highway outway any small loss in off-the-line torque you may have heard about.

Pypes True Duals w/ "X" pipe & Street Pro mufflers

Off-the-line STOCK tune (with T-LOK axle).
http://media.putfile.com/0-60-2006-M...t-Pro-Mufflers

Accelleration:
http://media.putfile.com/V6-with-Pyp...gh-Nice-Tunnel

Enjoy the look too.

SOHC
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I like my x-pype duals and wouldn't even think of going back to a single exhaust.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

dual is cool. very proud of my set-up.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I ran the single GT take-off muffler for 4 months before adding the driver's side muffler. The mufflers dobreak-in (mine were take-offs with little mileage on them versus buying them used already). The new muffler took a little time to break in too (the first one already had broken in), but the sound was fine the entire time. I still get a little popping from the driver side on cold start up, but it sounds great. I have an x-pipe as well.

My wife's 4.0L very has a single GT muffler, and it sounds great too. My duals only sound a little bit better in my opinion. I also don't think duals add or take away any performance when the car is naturally aspirated (NA). However I did add 50 lbs (+/-) to my curb weight by adding the duals, which will slow me down. If you are staying NA, then duals are mostly for looks (IMO).
Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

50 lbs. ? is that how much another muffler and extra piping weighs?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I doubt it, more like 40 lbs.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Yeah it's gotta be 40lbs or less extra. I picked the muffler up and it weighs about10lbs. Extra piping for the h and other over axel pipe, maybe 15-20lbs there. Definitly not 50lbs. And yes, go duals. I had a single for a few months and just couldn't stand my cai being louder than my muffler at times. I am going duals now w/an h-pipeand getting shorty headers too to make sure it sounds lound and mean. Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

I went with the y conversion kit from ninosport and the gt's. I did not want to lose any performance and don't plan to do any major mods so I decided this was probably my best bet . The installation can be done in the driveway and no welding
Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 AM
petestang

Thanks all. I should also mention that sometime in the future I will be adding a CAI, prefferebly with a tune. I just don't know when, as I am getting married in May..I would think that duals would be better for a CAI, yes?

Quick Reply: To dual or not to dual..