Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

the illusion of easy installations of clear tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:28 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Default the illusion of easy installations of clear tail lights

So far the installation seriesof "clear light lenses"has gone pretty good, until I came to the tail light replacementphase. I'm not gonna use the forum to bad mouth the website I bought the tail lights from but will say that what I received from the vendordid not work, and that made all the efforts of installing the lights a big waste of my time. Ain't nothin' like spending hours trying to install something that won't work. This installation is a pain in the *** to start with and takes a lot of time with teadious work putting the wiring harness connections together, and when I got to thepoint of testing the units,the f****** things didn't work, I was major pissed! I took everything back apart and reinstalled my stock lights with the sequential light wiring harnesses. Of course everything works fine now but after spending well over $200 for the light units and only having to look forward to trying to return the damn things, I wasn't real happy. So I boxed everything up and called the vendor about trying to make arrangements to return the units, but was only able to leave a voice message. That was only two days ago, but today, to my major astonishment, totally unannounced and unexpected, a box from the vendor was waiting at my door with two brand new clear lens tail lightfixtures in it. That's fine, but is that really a good way to do business. I wasn't even contacted to advise me of what was being done. I sure to hell hope these new ones work! Has anybody else out there had these kind of problems with clear lens tail lights? Item of note, I kept the sequential wiring harness in the setup, hooking it up to the new clear lens units. Could this have been a source of problems? I'm going to keep the new set of lights, but am going to go to my Ford dealer here in Sarasota and buy a new stock set of wiring harnesses to use in the installation of the new replacement units. It the new units are going to work, it should be with new harnesses. Stay tuned for future installation details. Take care, Jack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/039D0D464800491E9301223919E01730.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: the illusion of easy installations of clear tail lights

Are you talking about the Alteza type of Euro clear tail lights? If so return them both and stay stock.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Yes, thetail lights are the alteza clear lens type. Are these things just not any good? [:@]

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/2741EF625E264E8C8D2D3CD8680D6C27.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-26-2007, 05:55 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

many people (myself included) have the OPINION that they don't look too great on cars, especially mustangs
Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmschlatt

many people (myself included) have the OPINION that they don't look too great on cars, especially mustangs
I agree, they shout HONDA or ACURA in my opinion.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:57 AM
urnamethere
2nd Gear Member

im going to have to agree, i dont think they would go good on a mustang, i think that they actually make it look worse, but its your car man if thats what you like then go for it, remember you are modding this car out to your likings not anyone elses
Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwilhelm

Yes, thetail lights are the alteza clear lens type. Are these things just not any good? [:@]

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/2741EF625E264E8C8D2D3CD8680D6C27.jpg[/IMG]
what happened to the pony badge on your trunk lid?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Thank guys for helping me understand that the clear lenses I've installed so far on the front turn signals, rear bumper marker lights, and 3rd brake light are enough. They all look good, and blend in very nicely with the silver satin paint. But after last Saturday's nightmare installation session with those damn clear brake lights, I'm sticking with the stock red units and sequential wiring harnesses now on the car. Anyway, I really like the operation of the sequentials. Sancho085 asked me what happened to my pony badge on the trunk lid. I never liked this feature from the moment I saw it on the Mustangs, so I took it off. Actually, when I bought the car last November it came with the exterior appearance package which included the trunk spoiler and lower side tape stripe. The tape stripe was a piece of cake to just peal off, but taking off the spoiler was a bitch. Because of cost to weld up the bolt holes where the spoiler attached and the two holes where the pony badge went, I ended buying a new trunk lid to install on the car. I had the holes in it welded up and painted, and installed the new lid myself. I really like the clean look without emblems.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 PM
07Thorobrd
1st Gear Member

i wouldnt put them on my mustang i dont think that they look good but its your car do what you like.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:20 AM
DriWashSolutions
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwilhelm

Sancho085 asked me what happened to my pony badge on the trunk lid. I never liked this feature from the moment I saw it on the Mustangs, so I took it off.
It's part of the retro-look of the S197's - just take a look at the 1st gen mustangs (1965-66), and you'll see a resemblance.It's just that back then, itIS the gas cap, not just a faux medalian.

IMO, it looks naked without something back there, but as stated earlier, it's your car, do with it what you want.

Quick Reply: the illusion of easy installations of clear tail lights