Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT rear bumper problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 AM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

Default GT rear bumper problem

So I installed my GT rear bumper on yesterday and everything worked out fine. Wasn't hard at all. Only thing is that I noticed that the GT bumper is missing one of the clips on the bottom left (drivers) side. The right side was there so I clipped it reusing the original fastener. There is also the extra middle clip on the GT bumper but nowhere to fasten it unless I drill a whole. I know alot of people say there really isn't any need for the middle clip anyways. My question is will my bumper be okay without the left side clip. I think it will but im paranoid. I can always break off the clip from my V6 bumper and mold it on to the GT bumper and then fasten it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I was able to install my GT side skirts without having to buy any new fasteners or clips and reused original parts and everything.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:39 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default RE: GT bumper problem

front or rear bumper?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Stang Girl13
1st Gear Member

Where did you get the GT bumper?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 AM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

oops Im sorry. I edited it to GT rear bumper ODDYSEY. Thanks!! As far as the GT rear bumper Stang Girl13, I got it from a guy selling it on the forums. Its screaming yellow too, which is very hard to find. It took me forever to find my color.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:16 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I am trying to remember which clip you are refering to. From what I remember when I had my rear bumper off, both sides were attached via screws in the tire well. Do you have a picture ?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:23 PM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

No picture yet. But its not the area in the tire well. I put the two screws on each side back into the GT bumper and tire well. If your directly behind my car looking at it, and squat down there are suppose to be three flimsy brackets that go along the bottom of the bumper. One on each side near exhaust and one in the middle. Im missing the one on the left drivers side and dont see a hole on the car for the middle bracket but I attached the right side.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Look HEREand tell me if (4) are the 3 clips/retainers you are refering to. From the description it sounds like an optional item (probably some sort of rear valance i am unfamiliar with)
Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 PM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

yes that is it. Its just the bottom of the GT bumper which is a little lower than the V6 and ofcourse the dual cutouts.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I haven't had to deal with the GT rear bumper yet, but I am pretty sure it is not needed to secure the bumper.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:46 PM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

I dont think it is needed either. I mean after the bumper is popped into tight grooves on the body I got two screws in both sides of the wheel well and four heavy duty bolts attaching the back of the bumper. I was just worried about wind at high speeds wobbling the bottom of the bumper.

Quick Reply: GT rear bumper problem