Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dual Exhaust Problem!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:55 PM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

Default Dual Exhaust Problem!!!

Seems like Im never going to get my Flowmaster AT's on. So I take my car 05 mustang V6 to the shop, which said they were going to custom make my H pipe to put duals on. So they get my car up and ask me where I want my H pipe. Im like what??? He said to tell him where to put the H pipe and he'll put it there. I have no idea. He said an inch off here or there, where the H pipe starts can lose power and performance. Im like you dont know where to start the H pipe. Is this guy blowing smoke up my *** and dont know what he's doing or is he kind of right? If hes right does anyone know where to start the H pipe or know a link for information. Im so frustrated with just trying to put duals on!!! Please Help!! By the way the place is Midas.
Also he gave me an option to go without a H pipe or X pipe and just go straight back. Is that a good option or should I definitely use one of the pipes?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dual Exhaust Problem!!!

LMAO, "Where should I put the H-pipe?".U should of said, I don't know that's ur job!LOL! I just dropped off my car to get my exhaust done. I gave them my car w/thedualJBA axelback, overaxel pipes, gt take-offh-pipe, and jba shorty headers. Told em that and all theyasked was ifI wanted any of my exhaust partsthat r on the car now back. I'm getting the car back Monday b/c they have a lot of work and r'nt open on the weekends. I don't know about that shop then. BTW, H-pipe more muscle sound and X pipe more raspy sound. Performance will not be affected by either unless u go f/i. Then the x will give u a little more hp. Good Luck on figuring where to put that H-pipe! If I were u would bring them a picture of a gt's stock exhaust under the car,ROFL!!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silstang23

Seems like Im never going to get my Flowmaster AT's on. So I take my car 05 mustang V6 to the shop, which said they were going to custom make my H pipe to put duals on. So they get my car up and ask me where I want my H pipe. Im like what??? He said to tell him where to put the H pipe and he'll put it there. I have no idea. He said an inch off here or there, where the H pipe starts can lose power and performance. Im like you dont know where to start the H pipe. Is this guy blowing smoke up my *** and dont know what he's doing or is he kind of right? If hes right does anyone know where to start the H pipe or know a link for information. Im so frustrated with just trying to put duals on!!! Please Help!! By the way the place is Midas.
Also he gave me an option to go without a H pipe or X pipe and just go straight back. Is that a good option or should I definitely use one of the pipes?

print out an image of the JBA h-pipe setup or the Pypes h-pipe setup and show that to them. product pics from the online vendors should do fine. that should give them some reference on how where to make the h-pipe. for the future, you should always try to take your car to a performance shop where they specialize and have lots of experience in this kind of stuff or at least an independent shop with a lot of knowledge.

midas is more like jiffy lube. they're fine for basic stuff.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:14 PM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

I know I should have gone to a performance shop and I have some in town here. Only thing is that he already has the mufflers and tips and my GT left side mide pipe. You think it would be rude to just take it back and say im getting it done somewhere else?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

just say you changed your mind about going dual. its your money and car, not Midas'. they are a huge franchise anyways. i doubt they would get butt hurt over it.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

"You think it would be rude to just take it back and say im getting it done somewhere else? "

who the fukk cares if you sound rude!! would you rather loose power/sound and have a crappy job done that would have to be redone in a couple months and the guys say "he was pretty nice about this jerk job" or would you rather have the sound/performance dead on, and have a perfect job done by professionals?

just go in, ask for the parts and tell them you are taking it to a performance shop who specializes in exhaust systems. Then dont give in to midas when they say "oh dont worry I have it figured out, and know exactly where to begin" or "we have another guy in here who knows how its made" because its probably a BS story and hes just going to make it wherever he wants just to get your money!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:44 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

+1 on that I'd be picking my stuff up ASAP
Old 09-28-2007, 10:06 PM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. Ya'll are right. I will pick my stuff up and take it to another shop.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:51 AM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

So is it good to run the pipes straight back without any H pipe or X pipe? If so wouldn't it be easier to just do that, then again everyone would run straight back without any H or X pipe if it was better right? Anyone know the advantages or disdvantages?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

There is a greater loss of back pressure w/o an x or h pipe. U will lose some low end power doing that, and the sound will be different(I think less deep).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust Problem!!!