Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default Clamps

I posted yesterday about my mid pipe slipping out. I took it to the shop this morning and they said the bolts were on tight, so they put a couple of tack welds on to secure it. They pointed out how cheaply made the clamp is from Pypes compared to the OEM part that was on the old exhaust. You could see how thin Pypes clamp is.
Anyone got the part number for a clamp?
Anyway, here's a picture of the Pypes clampand the Ford Clamp;

Old 10-01-2007, 11:14 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default RE: Clamps

I had the part number from Ford. They are about $30 bucks per clamp. I was going to order all Ford parts from the parts department for my exhaust, but it ended up being like $50 bucks more. Since you are having problems with the pypes clamp, I may just end up doing the all ford parts stuff.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

The only bad thing about the situation now is the tacks on the pypes clamp. IMO that style clamp is fine, I use that style in some extreme duty situations and theyhold up fine, and now that they are tacked you shouldnt have any problems at all. BUT if you try to remove the old clamps to replace with OEM there is a very good chance the mechanic could burn a hole in your pipe removing the tacked on pypes clamps. Looks to me you shouldnt have any worries with your setup now though!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I think the whole idea of a tack weld is to loosen it by knocking on it a little. Now if they had welded all the way around, yeah, that could burn a hole in the pipe.

The owner of the shop told me the clamp is not a good quality one and in time could break. I could see the difference in thickness in the two and must say Ford makes a better clamp. Not only that, but the way the pipes slip in that clamp doesn't seem as secure like they are on the OEM part.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

I had the part number from Ford. They are about $30 bucks per clamp. I was going to order all Ford parts from the parts department for my exhaust, but it ended up being like $50 bucks more. Since you are having problems with the pypes clamp, I may just end up doing the all ford parts stuff.
If you could get me that part # I would appreciate it.
Pypes do make good quality X-pipes and mid pipes.....it's just the clamp that I am having issues with.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I contacted Ford Direct Parts and got a part number as well as price;

The part number is 4R3Z-5A231-AA and cost is 20.29 plus 10.95 shipping.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 PM
06roushv6
2nd Gear Member

+1 thats what i paid when i got an extra clamp
Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Im sorry but the amount of weld they put on there will take more than just a hammer to get the clamp off. If he knows what he is doing they will take a die grinder to get the clamps off but just a hammer wont do it in this case.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:28 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

Im sorry but the amount of weld they put on there will take more than just a hammer to get the clamp off. If he knows what he is doing they will take a die grinder to get the clamps off but just a hammer wont do it in this case.
I'm sure they know what they are doing. He was just making sure it was gonna stay put and not cause any problems for me until I can get the clamp to them.
They build race cars from the bottom up.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:35 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

I contacted Ford Direct Parts and got a part number as well as price;

The part number is 4R3Z-5A231-AA and cost is 20.29 plus 10.95 shipping.
Try contacting your parts department at the local dealership. If you order parts from them, you don't have to pay for shipping.

Quick Reply: Clamps