Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

? about lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

Default ? about lowering springs

I want to lower my car. is just getting lowering springs worth it with the stock everything else? ( as u can tell i dont a whole lot about suspension) Should i wait and do springs and more? thanks for your help guys
Old 10-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Big Lar

Default RE: ? about lowering springs

What size tires do you have on your car? I added the 17" take-off rims and tire from a GT. I then put the Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs and they made a huge difference in both handling and looks. The Pro-kit lowers the wheel around 1.2-1.5" which doesn't sound like much but you'll be surprised at how many times your undercarriage will bottom out on bumps and driveway entrances if you're not careful. If you go with the springs you might want to add either a GT rear sway bar take-off or a matched front and rear from Eibach like I did. You can do the sway bars yourself if you have basic mechanical skills but leave the springs to a pro
Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

yeah springs areworth it. idk about with stock wheels as far as looks. i did my lowering when i put my aftermarket wheels on. but they do improve performance. i got the sportline which drops your car 1.75-2.00". alot of bottoming out will happen if youre not careful. but its worth it. looks amazing.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:59 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

You should also install an adjustable panhard bar when you lower your rear end ... otherwise the rear axle will no longer be centered under the body ...
Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 AM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

depending on how low you go you will need more. i did the steeda springs that lowered the car 1in. not much but around my town any lower really sucks. i did the springs and panhard bar at work on a saturday, took two of us a hour and a half. we had a lift and spring compessor. i also did an alinement wile i was at it. i was able to put the camber in specs without a camber kit and the panhard bar needed to be ajusted because the thrust angle of the rear axle was off to the left. if you go lower than 1in, you will need a camber kit.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

The Pro-kit lowers the wheel around 1.2-1.5" which doesn't sound like much but you'll be surprised at how many times your undercarriage will bottom out on bumps and driveway entrances if you're not careful. If you go with the springs you might want to add either a GT rear sway bar take-off or a matched front and rear from Eibach like I did.
Sway bars have nothing to do with suspension travel. They help reinforce the handling of the car, hence "sway bar", they keep your car from wanting to twist around corners. The pan hard bar is a must if you go anything lower than 1" from stock. This will help the geometry of the rear end housing stay the same as it was stock, plus your mechanic will thank you when you go for re-alignment after you lower it.Camber plates is a good idea also but not "required", as they only help the adjustability of the alignment helping you adjust the caster/camber beyond stock adjustments.