Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to gain MPGs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 AM
angera

Default How to gain MPGs?

Coz I'm not getting any.

I must drive like crap. I do not think I take off or do the fast start/stop thing. I drive under the 3, which I have been told is good. Perhaps I am driving in too high of a gear.

In any case, any recs on gaining MPGs? Driving style? Duals? Gas?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How to gain MPGs?

there is no use to buy mods that will get you more MPGs, the mods will cost more than the saved gas would have cost you. it is all about driving style. basically, keep your foot off the floor
Old 10-03-2007, 01:20 AM
optras
2nd Gear Member

Theoretically running a higher octane will burn more efficiently so you COULD get extra mileage, but there's no point without a tuner and even then, it's debatable on the increase. Cruise control is always good to use (conditions permitting) and I've heard it can be up to 5% more efficient (it adds up). I've gotten about 28.93 mpg in my auto using cruise at about 65 mph with AC on. The tach is a good place to start, the higher that dial is, the more gas you're burning. Other than that, keep the weight out of the car and check your tire pressure as often as you can.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: angera

Coz I'm not getting any.

I must drive like crap. I do not think I take off or do the fast start/stop thing. I drive under the 3, which I have been told is good. Perhaps I am driving in too high of a gear.

In any case, any recs on gaining MPGs? Driving style? Duals? Gas?
Just leave the car in drive, use all 5 gears. Make sure you tire pressure is correct, check to see if your air filter is clean and replace if necessary, if you have enough miles on your car you might want to replace the fuel filter.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

do this test: on your computer/dash display, choose the fuel economy meter that looks like cell phone bars. do your normal driving and see how those meter bars react. that should be a good indicator whether or not its your driving style thats bringing you down. my bars are usually around the middle or a bit higher when cruising normal. but then again my car is tuned and if driven conservatively, it can yield better mpg.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM
optras
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

do this test: on your computer/dash display, choose the fuel economy meter that looks like cell phone bars. do your normal driving and see how those meter bars react. that should be a good indicator whether or not its your driving style thats bringing you down. my bars are usually around the middle or a bit higher when cruising normal. but then again my car is tuned and if driven conservatively, it can yield better mpg.
is that with the IUP?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 PM
tdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Try not to brake so much and just slowly roll up to a stop sighn/ red light. Accelerate b4 hills then let off going up them and coast down. Learn to concentrate harder when you drive. Good Luck!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:23 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

Leave earlier to any given destination, and drive slower. take in the landscape and just enjoy being alive...
Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Drive like grandma and anticipate all stops and starts and try and avoid them.
Put a wooden block under the gas pedal so you can only open her up about
35%.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:59 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Get a part-time gig to buy more gas, what's the point of driving a Mustang if you're always concerned about mileage? Besides if you can average better than 20mpg overall, you're driving like a grandma already[8D].
I rarely get better than 18mpg overall between fill-ups, but I mostly drive in the city, but compared to my V-6 powered Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, my GT is an economy car that runs the 1/4 in the high 13s, that truck never averaged better than 17mpg in mostly freeway driving, if I drove it like my GT it was a 14mpg pig(with 0-60 in 10+ seconds[:'(]).
+1 to all the comments posted on how to save/increase gas mileage, I usually pull the car out of gear(5 speed manual) and into neutral when descending down a hill or approaching an intersection where the light is red/or has a stop sign. Although I do these things to conserve the car, if I improve gas mileage, that's a bonus[&:]