Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CATS or NO CATS?

Old 10-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CATS or NO CATS?

Personally, I like cats. Those little furry things r fun to play with. I got one but when I play with him too much he claws my hand bad. He's fun though and meows a lot. I think u should get some cats. Cats over no cats ftw!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: basketballord

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...t/0505phr_exh/
Scroll down to "Headers -- Primary Pipe Diameters"
"Big pipes flow more, so is bigger better? Answer: absolutely not." Same goes for the cats/no cats argument I would think - there is an optimal level of exhaust flow...too much flow = no scavenging, too little = too much back pressure and decreased performance. Taking the cats off would be too much flow for a non - f/i V6, at least that's how I see it.
exactly.....thats been basically my whole point.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:15 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

ORIGINAL: basketballord

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...t/0505phr_exh/
Scroll down to "Headers -- Primary Pipe Diameters"
"Big pipes flow more, so is bigger better? Answer: absolutely not." Same goes for the cats/no cats argument I would think - there is an optimal level of exhaust flow...too much flow = no scavenging, too little = too much back pressure and decreased performance. Taking the cats off would be too much flow for a non - f/i V6, at least that's how I see it.
exactly.....thats been basically my whole point.
I'm confused then Sancho. I thought you were saying backpressure was all bad, but I was saying that you need some backpressure for exhaust scavenging.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

thats right.....backpressure is bad but some will exist nonetheless. i'm agreeeing about the point that there is an optimal level of exhaust flow: close to zero backpressure and maximum exit exhaust velocity. how does backpressure create scavenging when its bringing exhaust gas back to the cylinder? only good thing that could do is bring fresh air/fuel back into the cylinder during the valve overalap but that would also bring exhuast gases back in and contaminate. i'm sure all these negative things will happen at some degree but keeping them to a minimum will result in better effeciency.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:01 PM
FlameDog

Did you do the interior yourself? It looks beautiful!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:28 PM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FlameDog

Did you do the interior yourself? It looks beautiful!
Yea, seats were 900 and dash kit off ebay for 100. tv was a hook up.

As far as this debate....I think I will just go with some universal high flow cats and the slp.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:47 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Good plan ezell.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

haha....yeah, i'm done with it. anybody can research it and figure it out like i have. makes sense one you understand the whole backpressure concept. i see that pypes sells some high flow cats. anybody have em?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Stang_Heritage07
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilmor

Sorry, but if you have a V6, you'll never get the "growl"...at least, I've never heard a V6 growl...
watch these vids
http://youtube.com/user/Chente2004
Old 10-07-2007, 12:35 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Caladius

Yea my friend got pulled over a month back and the cop was a complete jerk.. gave him a speeding ticket... bent over and looked under the car (no cats). wrote him a huge ticket. not worth it IMO.
Am I the only one on here that questions this police officers qualifications to look under the car for the converters? The converters are best seen from looking under the hood. They are not located in the conventional location, as a single,big, flat muffler looking part located somewhere between the duals coming from the engine and the pipes coming out the back. Not everyone knows what they are looking at. I'm throwing the BS flag on that one!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CATS or NO CATS?