Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Buying Tunes online ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Buying Tunes online ?

For anyone who has bought tunes online and already has a tuner, I have a ?. I am going to be getting a TI cai and a BAMA tune. I know I tell bama my mods and what tune I want and they make it. But how exactly does this work? They send the tune by e-mail? I need a USB port I'm pretty sure, and then I download it through liveload? What other features does liveload/the disk that comes with the X-cal 2 have? Thanx for any info u have.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying Tunes online ?

i am curious bout this too. was thinking of trying some other tunes to see if there is any different. any help anyone?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:36 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I have ordered from Bama before. It is really simple, you tell him the mods, and he emails you a tune. Then you connect your tuner to your computer (just a usb), and load the tune one. Really simple to do
Old 10-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the help, how long does it usually take for BAMA to make the tune after u order it?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Thanx for the help, how long does it usually take for BAMA to make the tune after u order it?
I'm wondering the same thing. I orderedONE tune on Wednesday, and I have yet to recieve jack in my email...It's not like he has to pack and ship anything, just create the damn tune and send it to me!

I ordered an SCT, 3 tunes, and an intakefrom VMP tunes, andJustin shipped my order the next business day.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

doug a busy guy.....i got mine a week or so after purchase. the wait will be worth it so hang in there.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

doug a busy guy.....i got mine a week or so after purchase. the wait will be worth it so hang in there.
Good to know. Now I know to order the TI intake the same time I order the BAMA tune. I want to get the race tune so bad now. I wonder how much of a difference it will be over my set-up now. Probably very noticable. Can't Wait! Might have to order it sooner and get some advance in my pay!
Old 10-07-2007, 12:13 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

From my understanding of how it works, when you do load a new tune, you lose the tunes that you had on the tuner. I read about the process, and the process is one way. There is no back up of the tunes that you have, it clears the tuner or overwrites, and uploads the new tune.Also, you would have to return your car to stock before you did anything, so you don't lose your stock tune. Now this is just my interpretation of what I have read. I was disappointed because I thought I could swap tunes from my pc to the xcal as much as I wanted. I would like to order a race tune to try, but I paid for these others and don't want to throw them away. I think you can make archive copy of the live load files, if you received them in an email, and upload as many times as you want, but then the xcal2 has a set number of times you can "reset" it before it locks up and you have to send it back to get unlocked. It's too complicated for me to get a firm grasp on the ends and outs. Maybe newer versions have more capabilities, or allow more user friendly tinkering. I would call the tuner directly and find out exactly what I had to do to maintain all of my tunes, they would probably have to emailme copies beforeI started. These things were designedto protect the tunes as "property" of the tuner, much like any program, or we would be sharing these things freely, and no one would buy a tune anymore. I hope someone that knows how to do all of this chimes in, I have no practical experience doing anyupload from pc, just the infoI've read, andwhat I got out of it. If someone knows different, PLEASE let us all know.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

well i can't be sure on how the SCT works since i have a predator but from what i've read, its the same process. for example, my predator holds up to 5 additional tunes besides the canned tunes that are always on the tuner and the stock backup. once you load all the custom tunes you can fit on your unit, you go through the loading process on your car where your factory tune is first backed up then your custom tune of choice is loaded. from this point forward, you can at any time load whichever performance tune you please and still have all your tunes stored in the unit. the only time your custom tunes get erased from the tuner is when you restore the factory tune back in and all that is available on your tuner are the canned performance tunes. if you want your customs back, you'll have to upload them back onto your tuner from your PC. like a said, this is how the diablo works and from what other have told me, this is how the SCT works also. good luck and always save backups of your custom tunes. i burned copies onto a CDR just to make sure i still have them in case my PC takes a sh*t.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:12 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

That's pretty much the jist of what I said. In my opening sentence I was referring to uploading the tuner. On a xcal "customed" tuned like mine, there are no canned tunes. It came preloaded with the 3 types I ordered and that was it. I have no back ups on the pc and when you hook up the xcal to the pc, there is no extraction feature. It clears it, then loads the live load tune(s) you have received through email or other media that it may be installed. I couldn't "pull" my tunes out and drop them in a file first. That's what I read from the info I have with mine, and the info I've gathered online. I just don't mess withthat aspect of it. As far as changing tunes,I can change betweenstock, 87perf, 93perf, 93torq all day long, they stay saved toxcal, and it doesn't counttowards anything. The first timeI used it,it displayed"5changes left" after I downloaded my stock tune and uploaded the first tune. That number is still thesame, andI've changed all of the tunes several times and even back to stock and back to custom. I think it refers to the number of times it can be totally erased and reused again. But I only can talk about the one I've got and what it displays.

Quick Reply: Buying Tunes online ?