Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo ?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo ?

Hows the engine swap coming along, Buckman?
Thanks for inquiring.
Slowly but surely is the pace we are on. No hurry as the race season is almost over, so we are shooting for late Feb/early March.
Still working out details such as what stall for the trans (probably something highly streetable like around 3000-3200).
We worked out the details on the turbo, going with a 70mm Garrett-based turbo unit.
Shooting for something mild like 650rwhp on 93 pump gas to get this next season started which should be good for low 10's until the driver mod gets improved, then shooting for high 9's.
After that will see where we stand and whether or not to dial it in for that or shoot for lower ET's. My gut feeling is I will try to dial it in for 10.0 to avoid the complications of running a 9.99 car consistently.
Kind of the best of both worlds as my wife and I want the car streetable at all costs.
We just bought my son an '87 Fox GT, so we can play around on that car for a while which makes the wait for mine a little easier!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

haha mild? 650rwhp mild? you are crazy lance
Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

I meant mild as in boost levels and pump gas!
It should be relatively stress free for the engine to produce this power fairly effortlessly.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:36 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

oohh haha ok. which 5.4 are you using? either way you should be able to make some insane power pretty easily. that ford gt tt from stage6 is making almost 1500rwhp now on the stock 5.4 shortblock[&:]. (of course this is the 4v one used in the gt, slightly different than the one in the gt500).
Old 10-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

oohh haha ok. which 5.4 are you using? either way you should be able to make some insane power pretty easily. that ford gt tt from stage6 is making almost 1500rwhp now on the stock 5.4 shortblock[&:]. (of course this is the 4v one used in the gt, slightly different than the one in the gt500).
I am using the 5.4 4V GT500 engine.
You probably already know that it uses the same alum. heads at the GT, the difference is mainly the iron block to alum. block and wet to dry sump. PH speaks very highly of the heads for these and Mike seems to think that the car can be made silly fast if I want to go that route.
I probably won't push it that hard. I want it to remain streetable, so mild stall, lower boost and 650rwhp sounds good to me while still being able to go out and grab Starbucks.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckman

I am using the 5.4 4V GT500 engine.
You probably already know that it uses the same alum. heads at the GT, the difference is mainly the iron block to alum. block and wet to dry sump. PH speaks very highly of the heads for these and Mike seems to think that the car can be made silly fast if I want to go that route.
I probably won't push it that hard. I want it to remain streetable, so mild stall, lower boost and 650rwhp sounds good to me while still being able to go out and grab Starbucks.
very nice choice. you could easily make even more power than that while still maintaining streetability. Look at evolution. They made almost 600rwhp with the stock eaton and your turbo setup is going to be much more efficient. You could probably make mid 700's on pump gas fairly safely. wow very exciting stuff, congrats and i hope to follow your build.

btw are you going to be using a built 5R55S or are you going to be swapping to something else like a built c4? damn im getting exctied just talking about YOUR car LOL!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

very nice choice. you could easily make even more power than that while still maintaining streetability. Look at evolution. They made almost 600rwhp with the stock eaton and your turbo setup is going to be much more efficient. You could probably make mid 700's on pump gas fairly safely. wow very exciting stuff, congrats and i hope to follow your build.

btw are you going to be using a built 5R55S or are you going to be swapping to something else like a built c4? damn im getting exctied just talking about YOUR car LOL!
Thanks. The scaleability of the engine/turbo combo appeals to me as well, which is why I got away from the 4.0
I almost hate saying that as you know I am a staunch supporter of the 4.0 V6. I think for 99% of the people running this it can provide plenty of power for their needs. I think the stock block can take 11-13 lbs of boost for a long time and run 11.9 range, that is pretty impressive. This setup will give me room to grow if I decide to run something into the 9's or whatever.
I am going to use a Lentech 4r70 trans w/ trans brake, probably manual valve body but maybe electronic, not sure yet.
Turbo will be 70mm Garrett based turbo, Tial Wastegate, Stainless Works 304 tubing.
PH custom roll cage w/ swingouts as well as removable rear for street so I can fit someone in the back if need be. Suspension upgrades by CHE, Moser 31 spline axles and currently am looking at upgrading some track wheels for it. Right now I have the 255/16 MT ET Streets which won't be big enough to plant the power. I am thinking either Bogarts eventually, or if money is tight (read: wife puts foot down!) then I will probably go with a set of 17"s and get 315's.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

wow you are gonna be having some fun. Should be an insane street car. You're gonna have some fun with the new camaros and hell...the next super vette LOL!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

@ 8cd

if you are referring to joe's 1453rwhp stage 6 twin turbo ford gt, he is NOT on the stock engine. he went just over 1000rwhp on the stock engine, and decided he wanted more and didnt feel like grenading the stock engine finding its limits.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

wow you are gonna be having some fun. Should be an insane street car. You're gonna have some fun with the new camaros and hell...the next super vette LOL!
You got that right, I can't wait to line up against the new Camaros and Challengers. That is good for the hobby seeing those come along. From what I understand the Challenger is utilizing the 300 drivetrain, so it will have IRS, which will make it more of a challenge as the rear will have to be addressed for serious track cars.
Speaking of Camaros, my wife recently fell in love with the '67-'69 versions and now is leaning towards it for her car. My son just got the '87 Mustang GT, so we need to find a way to talk her out of that! Can't have Pony Wars going on in my garage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo ?