Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

mufflers

Old 10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: mufflers

I live in Loveland as a matter of fact.
Collins or B&J will do the drivers side and H.
I had Collins do mine. Collins isE of 287 on 34.
B&J is S of 34 on 287.

edit: They fabbed the mid pipe and the H.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

well, i put a flowmaster at on my car, and it felt exactly the same..at any speed you choose..i dont need a dyno to tell me that it didnt mean squat...

also, many, and i mean many folks have documented that the best gains from just adding a single muff with no mods will at best net you 2 hp. I bet if i you drove two stock mustangs, one with a single exhaust muff of your choice, the other with a bumper sticker, you could not tell the difference.

this isnt talk about theory, its from bona fide experience..you want horses?? get a tune/cai
Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdphillips73

well, i put a flowmaster at on my car, and it felt exactly the same..at any speed you choose..i dont need a dyno to tell me that it didnt mean squat...

also, many, and i mean many folks have documented that the best gains from just adding a single muff with no mods will at best net you 2 hp. I bet if i you drove two stock mustangs, one with a single exhaust muff of your choice, the other with a bumper sticker, you could not tell the difference.

this isnt talk about theory, its from bona fide experience..you want horses?? get a tune/cai
your right about not feeling anything significant. i had exhaust upgrade before tuner/cai and didnt notice anything major but enough to feel a difference. 8hp on a 200+ hp car will only feel like 2 horsies but it doesnt mean nothing has changed. like i said earlier, i'm basing this off dyno results from other members and perf. shops. their results could be bogus and you could be right but forum feedback points towards at least 8hp rather than just 2 hp. i'm just saying......
Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 AM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfEFETgvIA

I like the FRPP M5230 GTA: nice deep sound, no drone, present but not obtrusive at cruise, hollers appropriately at WOT.

If you don't have multiple dyno sheets proving or disproving gains of two or ten or losses from duals, what you are doing is reporting your impressions and opinions. Impressions and opinions are fun and diverting, but they are not science. Any one is as good as any other.

My impression is that my car is much more enjoyable than before the muffler replacement. It was worth the money and the struggle. Another impression is that it's a little more lively, aside from the sound. My seat-of-the-pants meter isn't very precise - OK, it's not at all precise - so if I can notice any difference at all, it has to be due to a significant change. I opine replacement of the notoriously restrictive original V6 muffler was good for 5 or ten HP.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

If you don't have multiple dyno sheets proving or disproving gains of two or ten or losses from duals, what you are doing is reporting your impressions and opinions. Impressions and opinions are fun and diverting, but they are not science. Any one is as good as any other.
true.....but its already been accepted over and over again that approx 8hp is realistic for most hi-flow exhaust setups on a N/A car. i think the other guy should provide numbers of only a 2hp gain as he has stated. his is the oddball number. if he is right, i sure would like to know for fact. anything newly learned is a good thing.......but then again, whatever .
Old 10-31-2007, 08:42 PM
tdaddy
2nd Gear Member

5.0 mustang didn't find any gains with the MAC axle-back exhaust....
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ir_intake.html
Old 11-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tdaddy

5.0 mustang didn't find any gains with the MAC axle-back exhaust....
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ir_intake.html
thanks for the link....i read it and will take the info for what its worth even though magazines have been known to be pretty inconsistent at times. i guess i should email some perf. shops and ask them myself from their tests what they got from a single hi-flow muff alone. i'll post back if i get any replies. i sure wouldnt want to be passing around false info. jdphillips73 must have read this same article also.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rls82959

I live in Loveland as a matter of fact.
Collins or B&J will do the drivers side and H.
I had Collins do mine. Collins isE of 287 on 34.
B&J is S of 34 on 287.

edit: They fabbed the mid pipe and the H.
Thanks RLS,

Did Collins cut the bumper for you too ? It looks good.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:08 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

um....no way a gt muff gets you +10 horses... if it does, a bumper sticker will get you +5 horses..
I agree, to a degree. In the VMP forum, Justin has dyno results. I'd be really skeptical of double-digit hp gains from just a muffler - no matter how shiny it is or how loud it sounds.

That's not to say there isn't a hpbenefit - at the very least, it's as much as any aftermarket muffler. If there's a true 6-8hp gain from one of the big-name aftermarket mufflers, then the GT-takeoff will be in the same ballpark. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need to put down the GT-takeoff - it's as good as any other axel-back replacement and at a fraction of the price.

However, there doesn't seem to be ANY performance benefit from going to duals in any configuration with a normally-aspirated V6. In my opinion, duals on a 4.0 V6 is just for looks and sound, unless you've got some serious manifold pressure going on under the hood.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: p51mstg

um....no way a gt muff gets you +10 horses... if it does, a bumper sticker will get you +5 horses..
I agree, to a degree. In the VMP forum, Justin has dyno results. I'd be really skeptical of double-digit hp gains from just a muffler - no matter how shiny it is or how loud it sounds.

That's not to say there isn't a hpbenefit - at the very least, it's as much as any aftermarket muffler. If there's a true 6-8hp gain from one of the big-name aftermarket mufflers, then the GT-takeoff will be in the same ballpark. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need to put down the GT-takeoff - it's as good as any other axel-back replacement and at a fraction of the price.

However, there doesn't seem to be ANY performance benefit from going to duals in any configuration with a normally-aspirated V6. In my opinion, duals on a 4.0 V6 is just for looks and sound, unless you've got some serious manifold pressure going on under the hood.
yeah, i never really expected a noticeable difference between my duals and a hi-flow single. i purely love the look and sound and i think it adds to the retro look. compared to stock however, it felt "lighter" when accelerating on the highway at high rpm's with a little stronger pull.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mufflers