Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

bunch-o-questions can you help???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:33 PM
vistastang

Default bunch-o-questions can you help???

1. will a underdrive pulley void warranty?
2. will stainless headers void warranty?
3. are either of these bolt-ons worth the time & trouble?
4. how does the v6 sound with different headers?
5. can the plastic cover in front of the headlights be removed?
6. would changing rear gears give more "fun" then the above mentioned items?
I think the car runs good for a v6 but if it can be even quicker that would be nice. I'm looking for quick 0-60 times.
THANK YOU!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:52 PM
cacimar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: bunch-o-questions can you help???

ORIGINAL: vistastang

THANK YOU!
if you modify your car in any way that part you removed will be voided period. Headers are a huge mod and expensive as well. I dont know about v6 but on v8 the headers get you huge gains, on big displacement engines long tubes headers is the way to go since the short tubes will show minimal hp gains but i dont know if this apply for sixers. The sound with headers will be nasty loud if combined with some good mufflers i say go with 40 flowmaster series. And for the love of god WHY IN THE WORLD WOOULD U WANT TO TAKE THE PLASTIC COVER FOR THE HEADLIGHTS [&:]
Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

have not done any of the mods that you have listed. I can tell you what I have seen in these forums and read in magazines.

It is my understanding that replacing any part voids the warrenty for that part. Also, if they can prove the after market part caused something else to fail, I suspect that will not be covered either. Like I said, this is information that I have read about.

I read an article in mustang 5.0 magazine about several mods. headers, tune, underdrive pully, and CAI. According to the article, the underdirve pulley gave the most gain in hp of the mods added.
while the headers gave almost no gain.

I have read that different gearscan give animpressive boost in hp, but dont expect to spend any time in first gear. I suspect that if you added 4.10 gears, you would probably be starting out in second gear.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:47 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

If it is noticed or if it causes any damage, this damage wont be covered.

Once again, any problems related to headers will void that part of the warranty.

There are many other mods that will produce better results. Like a CAI and tune.

I would expect it would but it would have to be connected to a true dual exhaust and X-pipe.

No, they are sealed and protect the bulb and reflector from water/enviromental damage. WHY?

Yes, going from 3.31s to 3.73s or 4.10s would really help your 0-60 times and fun factor.

I think the car runs good for a v6 but if it can be even quicker that would be nice. I'm looking for quick 0-60 times.
THANK YOU!
Old 10-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Only if Ford can prove it damaged something, but it would be hard to prove the headers did damage.
Underdrive pulleys give 6-10rwhp generally and r an ok bolt-on. But cai/tuneis a lotbetter bang for buck mod($600). Headers r mostly for sound w/a little performance.Shorty headersr legal and longtubes w/o cats r illegal.
I have shorty headers now, and I will tell u it is a lot louder and abitdeeper now.($470-cost for purchase and install and shipping)
Not sure. Probably since it only looks to be a protective cover.
Hell yes! Gears I believe were my best performance mod. I got 4.10's and theychangedmy low end feel alot. It feels like Igained 30-50Torque from the mod(felt I no no torque is added). 3.73's r also fun. I would suggest getting a t-lok with them so u don't just spin ur 1reartire everywhere u go.T-lok and gearscan be bought and installed for $600-$750.
For very quick 0-60 times u should do these mods:
-CAi/Tune from Bama chips for $550-$600 (20-25hp)
-hi-flow muffler-$100-$250 (10hp)
-Gears and t-lok (I said $600-$750 tomorrow)
With those mods u'll be pretty fast for a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder. If ur looking for more like 300-350hp, look into superchargers. They will run $3.4k-$4.2k. And more power making turbos-$4.5k-$5.5k. Need any more help, just post it! Good Luck on ur modding!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

If you go the gears and T-Lok, consider replacing the stock V6 non-T-Lok rear end
with a take-off GT rear end with 3.73s or 4.10s and the T-Loc set-up from the factory.
I have seen them for just under $1000.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:14 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

If you go the gears and T-Lok, consider replacing the stock V6 non-T-Lok rear end
with a take-off GT rear end with 3.73s or 4.10s and the T-Loc set-up from the factory.
I have seen them for just under $1000.
don't move up to an 8.8" unless you plan on

A. going forced induction
B. side stepping your clutch with some sticky *** tires.

All you will do with an 8.8" over a 7.5" with a locker/lsd is add more rotating mass and slow you down. if you just plan on bolt ons, keep the 7.5"
Old 10-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I would expect it would but it would have to be connected to a true dual exhaust and X-pipe.

I amalmost 100% sure u can run shorty headers on a single/stock exhaust. U don't need a duals system to run them. Correct me or second this so we know for sure.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

no you dont need duals for headers. Although the only real difference headers will make on a V6 is sound. So therefore I think it would be total waste of money for headers without a good dual system to move that extra exhaust