Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How hard is it to install a t-lok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:20 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default How hard is it to install a t-lok?

How hard would it be to install a Ford Racing T-Lok? Something I can do in my garage? I know gears should be done by a professional.. but how about this?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:27 PM
JimC

Default RE: How hard is it to install a t-lok?

After watching the professional work on my gears this past Monday, I don't think it is something I want to try in my garage. To put the Tlok in you have to remove everything and then have to adjust your gears properly. He took a lot of time, made a lot of measurements and adjustments trying to get rid of the whine that the Richmonds gear upgrade gave me (by the way if you do gears, consider Ford Racing gears, the installer said I don't have to worry about the Richmonds for durability and they will take racing, but they tend to whine and he uses FRPP for daily drivers because of that).
Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

hard....you still have to take the gears out of the old diff and put it into the limited slip differnetial...so thats why you usually do gear changes when getting a t-lock or vice versa. IMO the last thing you want is to have your gears installed improperly where theyre gonna whine or not be lined up correctly
Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

When I was shopping for a place toinstall my gears, I was amazed to see how many places wouldn't touch it. They all said that it was something that they didn't want to get into. I finally took it to the dealership. They did a great job and kept my warranty intact.The only problem I encountered was that they couldn't reset my speedometer calibration. They said that since my car was never offered with 3:73 gears, they couldn't set the speedo for it. This was easily corrected by using a custom tune and setting the tuner for 3:73's. However, if I ever have to restore it to stock, the speedo willread fast.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:19 AM
proper
2nd Gear Member

hey 68rx7... u went to a ford dealership to install t-lok ? and they kept ur warranty ? cuz im trying to do mods on my car without affecting my warranty.. which is 1 reason why im waiting for the FRPP for the v6 mustangs to come out.. i got about 2 grand saved up for mods.. so far i just did the flowmaster exhaust cuz it wont affect any of the warranty on my car
Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: proper

hey 68rx7... u went to a ford dealership to install t-lok ? and they kept ur warranty ? cuz im trying to do mods on my car without affecting my warranty.. which is 1 reason why im waiting for the FRPP for the v6 mustangs to come out.. i got about 2 grand saved up for mods.. so far i just did the flowmaster exhaust cuz it wont affect any of the warranty on my car
That is how uwill save ur warranty. Buy all Ford/FRPP parts and have them install them. That way u can have a nice modded car and ur warranty!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Im sorry but that isnt true. The only parts made by FRPP that is covered under a warranty is Crate engines and performane pakages. It states this right on the FRPP web site. FRPP is not onsidered genuine Ford Parts, they are a aftermarket company the same as rousch, saleen, etc. I just ordered the dual exhaust from FRPP and there is a paper in the package explaining all about the Limited Warranty.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Good to know! I don't care cause I don't have the extended warranty and put so many mods in my car already but other people on this that r plaaning to keep their warranty need to know this! Thanx for the correction!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I dont care about it being considered aftermarket, and I can tell ya the quality of the exhaust kit is top shelf. Everything from the clamps to the 4" chrome tips. And if you plan on modding your vehicle any at all you better not need a warranty. Now if I could just get the time to install it, Im on lunch break of a 10 hr sunday shift right now!

To the OP : Definately find a shop to install that T-lok for ya and throw in some gears while your at it and you will be a step ahead. I also recommend buying with the T-lok the installation kit with new shims, crush collar, new bearings, and new seals for $80 its a bargain.