Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

bucking....FIXED!

Old 10-14-2007, 12:27 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default bucking....FIXED!

well i know alot of you and myself with the manual trannies (and i've heard of a few autos having it too) have the "bucking" issue in first gear where you just can't get a smooth speed when going slow. Well, i think i've found a fix. I had it pretty bad today and started thinking about what it could be. I decided to pull over and try something, and so far it has worked really well.

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO PEOPLE WITH TUNERS

-plug in your x-cal or predator (i am assuming the predator has this same function)
-start to load your tune, but when it asks if you want to change operation parameters, click select (yes).
-keep scrolling until you get to "idle speed in drive" (dont change idle speed in neutral)
-it should be about 750 stock, but you start to bog around 850 if you are just cruising in first.
-bump it up to about 900. then go back and load the tune as you normally would.

See, when you are sitting at the light, you will not have a higher idle because you will usually be in neutral unless you are only at a stop sign or a very short stop, so this wont waste any gas, but it basically keeps you from bogging, or getting that "bucking" when in first gear and just putting along.

so far it has completely gone away and i see no possible negative issues, but if there could be some someone shine some light on it for us. This isn't necessarily a definite fix, but it has been working for me and it seems to make sense, so try it out if you have the issue!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: bucking....FIXED!

Wouldn't "Idle speed in drive" apply only to automatics though? The computer doesn't really have a way to know what gear a manual is in.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Torch_Vert

Wouldn't "Idle speed in drive" apply only to automatics though? The computer doesn't really have a way to know what gear a manual is in.
yes it does. I thought the same thing at first, but then i noticed you still have a neutral rev limit in a manual transmission. There has to be a way the computer knows that the car is in gear.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

He probably knows what he's talking about. He knows a **** load for his age about cars and everything about them. He is the 4.0 guru!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:54 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

He probably knows what he's talking about. He knows a **** load for his age about cars and everything about them. He is the 4.0 guru!
i wouldnt say that. there are quite a few people that know an assload more than me but thanks.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I no people no more than u, but I don't think anyone's close for the amount of info u no for only being 17yrs old. U r a very smartperson for ur age. Keep up the good work and u'll probably be able to engineer/make some monster sports cars in the future. Making or Buying and modding!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

I no people no more than u, but I don't think anyone's close for the amount of info u no for only being 17yrs old. U r a very smartperson for ur age. Keep up the good work and u'll probably be able to engineer/make some monster sports cars in the future. Making or Buying and modding!
thanks alot man i appreciate that.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

hahah thats damn true. somethin goes wrong with my car, and i cant figure it out, clay gets a call from me hahah.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

so you change to nuetral at a stop most the time? you dont just keep the clutch in while in first gear? i guess if your stopped for awhile, like you said, it makes sense but what about if you just have the clutch depressed for short stops? how does that affect everything?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

many ways a manual car knows its in gear or not in gear.
for one, engine load value. its a lot harder to put engine load on your car in nuetral.
second, if you push the clutch in, the safety switch will tell your computer its not in gear.

also, if you notice in the manual trans, the neutral rev limiter only works at lower speedssometimes. if you are cruising at 60mph, put the car in nuetral, do not have the clutch in, you can rev it to redline. i found this out when my car was stock, and on the freeway i could rev to redline in neutral, but at the track, i could not (at the tree).

Search this Thread