Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what are the best gears.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what are the best gears.....

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

Because long highway trips at anything that's around 3k rpm or above is bad for the engine.
I will have to disagree with this one my friend.It is not bad to travel long periods at 3 grand. It is actually easier on a engine to run 1 steady rpm. It is harder on your engine to run rpms up to near redline when "getting on it" than it is to run highway at one rpm say at 3000 for a extended amount of time. And to the OP definately go with 4.10's if your going to get gears. Its more of a jump to go from factory 3.31 to 3.73 than it is 3.73 to 4.10. And besides as soon as you run the 3.73's a while you will wonder what the 4.10's would have felt like and eventually buy those two. If you are like me you will neways!
I know, but he says he doesn't take long highway trips, which means no cruise control engaged. That's why it's bad. And still 3k rpm or moreat overdrive is not good. You can hear it in the exhaust and in the engine working harder. It wasrecommended by mymechanic that I shouldn't run3k rpm or more on the highway fora period of 10mins+ because the engine is working hard.And yeah, everyone should get 4.10's permitting they don't do long highway trips at 65mph+.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:09 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

http://www.newtakeoff.com/index.asp?...p;Category=424

Diversified Marketing has the whole rear stock take-off rear end
with whatever gear you want (3.73s or 4.10s) with T-Loc factory
set up for under $1000. Your rear end thats under there now will
have a sticker with the ratio on it. A 3.31 or 3.55 is probably what
you have. Have 3.31s, go to 3.73s. Have 3.55s, go to 4.10s.
Richmonds are whinny. Motives have been proven here as superior.

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/0C02F47EE0DE4B59BD14E01BE9EC6920.jpg[/IMG]

New Take-Off Parts are acquired from secondary automotive manufacturers worldwide. In most cases these secondary manufacturers modify vehicles to execute a specific purpose outside the original manufacturer’s
specifications. These processes result in an abundance of quality OEM parts that are in like-new condition. The majority of the New Take-Off parts newtakeoff.com distributes feature fewer than five miles of operation.
These components are supplied in “like-new” condition. Many New Take-Off parts come with complementary apparatus not usually supplied by new parts suppliers and other surplus suppliers.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:47 AM
JimC

With what I have spent on my gears and Tlok, and then extra trying to get the Richmonds adjusted to reduce the whine, I wish I would have just gone ahead with the 8.8 full replacement - especially since I plan to F/I at some point, and will upgrade the rear end to the 8.8 at that time.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimC

With what I have spent on my gears and Tlok, and then extra trying to get the Richmonds adjusted to reduce the whine, I wish I would have just gone ahead with the 8.8 full replacement - especially since I plan to F/I at some point, and will upgrade the rear end to the 8.8 at that time.
How much rwhp do you want with f/i? T-lok will be fine with if you don't run the track a lot and want 350rwhp or less through f/i. Than you could upgrade to a detroit true trac which is a lot stronger and not need the 8.8 if you need more than that.Fazm, Buckman, or Rygen should help youwith this though because they've experimented with this before. I think Rygen had a few runs with a t-lok on 350rwhp+ and was fine.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

And still 3k rpm or moreat overdrive is not good.
Man im not trying to argue here, or get a cyber fight going. Im just here to give good people good advice on the theory that sometime I could get advice on something im not sure about. But nothing urks me more than people giving advice on things they know nothing about, because someone out there with little experience and good intentions could get screwed. SteelStang, I realize you are the Master of Bad Tech advice but Ive got to know why you say running 3k in overdrive is not good. I know for a fact thats the easiest your engine can run, and that running low rpm like 1500 in overdrive is harder on the engine. SO, please explain the reasoning behind these facts you are alwayshere to give.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:38 AM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

Ok, thanks steelstang ime taking the car in on tuesday night to get this all done, should have it back late wednesday or thursday afternoon, i let you guys know how it went and ill post the dyno sheet!
thanks for all the advice!
Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Man im not trying to argue here, or get a cyber fight going. Im just here to give good people good advice on the theory that sometime I could get advice on something im not sure about. But nothing urks me more than people giving advice on things they know nothing about, because someone out there with little experience and good intentions could get screwed. SteelStang, I realize you are the Master of Bad Tech advice but Ive got to know why you say running 3k in overdrive is not good. I know for a fact thats the easiest your engine can run, and that running low rpm like 1500 in overdrive is harder on the engine. SO, please explain the reasoning behind these facts you are alwayshere to give.
I'm a little confused by your message. I don't understand it completely. And what I posted before was what my mechanic recommended with the reasoning, that's all. I'm not saying you should run your engine below 2k in OD though. I'm just saying that I was told 3k rpm and up on these cars is bad over long usewith no traction control engaged(for 3k rpm).
And Good Luck on the install and Dyno samv!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:57 PM
rjb
1st Gear Member

I am with you. I have never heard that the OD above 3000 RPM is no good, or bad on the engine? The purpose of the Overdrive is to reduce the RPMs for fuel economy.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:05 PM
rjb
1st Gear Member

IMHO the best way to do gears is to buy a complete "new take off" in the gear ratio you want. You then get a pre set up and stronger ford rear end. The price will come out to about the same if you can do the install yourself.

[IMG]local://upfiles/68856/A3A284A179C84762AC60245EEB9A2948.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-20-2007, 02:07 PM
vistastang

would just "any" used 7.5 or 8.8 fit in these cars? Would it be a fairlyeasy conversion?

Quick Reply: what are the best gears.....