Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what are the best gears.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:15 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

Default what are the best gears.....

I ordered my tuner last night and it will be here on saterday and ime going to this local mustang performance shop and getting it dynoed and ime putting new gears on her, but i dont really know that much about them, and how much they cost. the shop said that with the tune , the dyno, and the gears installed will be just under 1000 dollars. does that sound right and what gear raio should i go with?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:25 PM
JimC

Default RE: what are the best gears.....

Are you getting a Tlok done at the same time? If so then that is a very good price for everything. I have 3.73 Richmond gears - my advice is to go with Ford Racing Productgears, the specialty shop I went to for an adjustment said he always tries to use them because they are easiest to set up and avoid whine. Richmonds are racing gears and will have some whine - I know that some have said no whine with theirs, but even the specialty shop said it is a characteristic with the Richmond and that there may be a soft whine except at certain speeds you may get a "perfect harmony" that brings it out in full (for me, that happens at 65 mph).

The 3.73 seems to be a good move for added performance, especially if you will be doing a lot of highway driving or going forced induction down the road.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 PM
07Thorobrd
1st Gear Member

this will probably sound dumb but i hear alot of people on here talking about Tlok gears. is this a name brand of gears, or a type of gear or what. any help would be great. thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: 07Thorobrd

this will probably sound dumb but i hear alot of people on here talking about Tlok gears. is this a name brand of gears, or a type of gear or what. any help would be great. thanks in advance.
A t-lok is a type of Limited Slip Differential (LSD) or posi (I know, that's a GM term). It uses clutches to deliver power to both wheels. Other choices for a LSD are Auburn,Detroit Tru-Trak, & Eaton. The GT's come with a 8.8" rear with a t-lok differential, putting power to both wheels. The 4.0L V6 comes with a 7.5" open-end differential, where power only goes to one wheel.

Gear ratio refers to how the rotation of the driveshaft is reduced through the differential to the wheels. The rationale is that if you are gonna have your gears changed in your 7.5", you should have a LSD differential installed at the same time to save on the labor if you were to have it done later on.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

JimC, thanks for the advice, ok I just have a few more quistions. First off.
What are the gears the mustang come with stock?
Would it be smarter to go with the tlok at the same time?
And the guys at my shop said to go with 4:10?
And is there a certain brand like Richmond i should go with?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

ok well i just talked to my guy and there putting ford motor sports 4:10 gears, dyno tuning it with an xcal 2 tuner. The tlok isnt included, it would be another 350 on top of what ime paying already, soo, should i go ahead and do this and maybe later on down the line get the tloks?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: samv1368

ok well i just talked to my guy and there putting ford motor sports 4:10 gears, dyno tuning it with an xcal 2 tuner. The tlok isnt included, it would be another 350 on top of what ime paying already, soo, should i go ahead and do this and maybe later on down the line get the tloks?
I wish that I had specified the Ford gears when I had mine done, the Richmonds have whine issues and the specialty shop said they never use them for daily drivers and would have used the Ford for my car if I had them do it (I used the performance shop I usually go to, and then ended up paying the specialty shop to work on them due to the whine).

The time to get the Tlok is when you do the gears. The rear end is opened up and the ring and pinion removed anyway so you don't have to pay twice for the labor - and by waiting you have to go through the full adjustment of the existing gears to fit with your Tlok so your labor costs are easily double.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 PM
07Thorobrd
1st Gear Member

so for a daily driver the best route to go would either be the 3.75 or 4.10 gears w the tlok. is this correct????
Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 PM
07Thorobrd
1st Gear Member

i ment 3.73 gears in the above post
Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07Thorobrd

so for a daily driver the best route to go would either be the 3.75 or 4.10 gears w the tlok. is this correct????
i think for the daily driver that the 3.73s are what poeple have been recommending. 4.10s are for the hardcore daily drivers [8D]. at this point i'm planning on FRP 3.73s along with the FRP t-lok.

Quick Reply: what are the best gears.....