Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gears and T-lok...question or two

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Silver_sixxer05
1st Gear Member

Default Gears and T-lok...question or two

I'm thinking about getting 3.73's and a T-lok for my birthday, but I have a question or two.

How much did it cost for everyone total, parts, install all that?

Should I take it to my ford dealer (never actually delt with their service dpt. before... not sure if they are worth a darn or not.) or find someone else who will do it?

Any input is much appreciated

edit: I speel gud.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gears and T-lok...question or two

yea im headed in the same direction of u, i was told if i had ford do it, they'll warranty the work, so thats the direction im headed, i rather hold ford responsible for damages or breaks than some local shop who wont cough up the money to fix it ;-)
Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Silver_sixxer05
1st Gear Member

Ah, well thats good news. My dad won't be as leery if he knows ford will do it and warrenty it as well.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

yea i told my parents, i wanted two wheel power to the floor, but didnt tell one of them about the better gears lol shhhhh on the other hand, my dad was like: "why stop there, go for the 4.10s" lol but thats just too much, i do alot of highway driving and i think 3.73 would be good enough
Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: Silver_sixxer05

I'm thinking about getting 3.73's and a T-lok for my birthday, but I have a question or two.

How much did it cost for everyone total, parts, install all that?

Should I take it to my ford dealer (never actually delt with their service dpt. before... not sure if they are worth a darn or not.) or find someone else who will do it?

Any input is much appreciated

edit: I speel gud.
I have to check for sure, but I think my 3.73 and Tlok was about $800 installed. I asked the Ford dealer, but they didn't sound too sure about what to do so I went with my performance shop. You want someone who knows gears and what they are doing or you will have issues - and I don't believe that they will be warrantied just because the dealer does the install. My peformance shop is very good with many things, but I think that gears require someone else.

First, I wish that I hadspecified Ford Racing gears; I have the Richmonds and while they are good gears they seem to have a problem with whine - but the specialty shop said I should never have a problem crushing them with hard launches at the strip because the Richmonds are designed for racing. I would go with a ring and pinion shop, someone who specializes in gears, to get set up. I ended up taking mine to a specialty shop to be adjusted - so spent another $290 to get them adjusted properly and get rid of most of the whine. The Richmond 3.73 on my car though sets up a perfect condition at 65 mph so that the whine is there and noticeable even after the adjustment.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

oh wow yea thats good, i know someone on here posted about doing it with ford on another thread and they got it warranty
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_3930195/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm that thread, second page, "any gears wont affect your warranty"

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6fordgear.htm#1 get ur gears and tlok there
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Sublimey
1st Gear Member

I had my TC, 3:73's, and T-Lok done @ the same time. It ran about $900 in labor. But well worth it. Love to have 2 tires spinning. First day on the track after the gears and everything, we slid halfway down the track and posted 14.8. Just got some new Fatter Meat for the rear and can't wait to break them in and find out what kind of numbers we'll be posting then. But I am pretty proud of the 14.8...not bad for a Auto V-6 who couldn't hold traction!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

how much did u spend in total? so i can have an ideal, that sounds alot for labor but i bet the job was well done :-)
Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: edgespeeder06

https://mustangforums.com/m_3930195/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm that thread, second page, "any gears wont affect your warranty"

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6fordgear.htm#1 get ur gears and tlok there
The gears may not affect your warranty, but the new gears in your rear end will not be covered - not installed by the factory so no factory warranty on those parts. As far as mods go, unless the mod caused the problem or is the problem then probably no affect on your warranty (example, put a new muffler on and your driveshaft breaks, then you have warranty on the driveshaft - but if your muffler comes apart that isn't Ford's problem since they didn't install it even if your dealer did).

You also may want to check out the thread about RPM Outlet and customer service.

Quick Reply: Gears and T-lok...question or two