Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which supercharger is the best for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which supercharger is the best for me?

ORIGINAL: fazm

[rick hit 299rwhp on his procharger setup at only 7psi.
Brian Wellington also hit 299rwhp and change with an X-Charger at 7-8psi
Old 10-19-2007, 10:46 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Aside from all of this....
If you want to spend 5k total, you may want to look at the H/O Vortech. If you are not comfortable with the 10psi (which is absolutely not a problem because it is cooled) You can get a 3.40" in pulley instead, which made 8.6psi for me. You will for sure be able to make 300rwhp with that, and you would be looking at ~325rwhp with the 10psi pulley.

I am not trying to bash the X, but it is a fact that it is not cooled. Therefore it will run hotter and will run less power than the cooled system. Also, for the amount of power that you will make with the X, IMO it is not worth it. It basically costs as much as the other systems, and the only other system that is not cooled, the standard Vortech, is significantly cheaper, and takes the same time to install, and makes almost the exact same numbers. There is no getting away from that fact. Sure it is a great system because it makes good low end power, and the cooled version that EE is coming out is very kick ***.

Torch << it is not normal for X's to hit that. If they could consistently hit that, that would be a whole other situation. Also, if he was spraying meth, power spraying meth does not count. Anybody can spray meth and make more power, not just X chargers. It would be like if I sprayed nitrous along with my Vortech, made 400rwhp, then claimed that Vortech's make 400rwhp.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

Aside from all of this....
If you want to spend 5k total, you may want to look at the H/O Vortech. If you are not comfortable with the 10psi (which is absolutely not a problem because it is cooled) You can get a 3.40" in pulley instead, which made 8.6psi for me. You will for sure be able to make 300rwhp with that, and you would be looking at ~325rwhp with the 10psi pulley.

I am not trying to bash the X, but it is a fact that it is not cooled. Therefore it will run hotter and will run less power than the cooled system. Also, for the amount of power that you will make with the X, IMO it is not worth it. It basically costs as much as the other systems, and the only other system that is not cooled, the standard Vortech, is significantly cheaper, and takes the same time to install, and makes almost the exact same numbers. There is no getting away from that fact. Sure it is a great system because it makes good low end power, and the cooled version that EE is coming out is very kick ***.
How hard is the vortech install? Good install guide? Did you install yours yourself? Weighing my optionsstill.Thanx ahead!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

The non-IC vortech took 6 hours at a shop, and apparently the cooled one takes 8 hours on a GT...so I assume it is the same for our cars. The install guide is really good, but I dont play with my car...I am afraid to break anything lol. You can get a copy of the guide off their website under the "support" link
Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

The non-IC vortech took 6 hours at a shop, and apparently the cooled one takes 8 hours on a GT...so I assume it is the same for our cars. The install guide is really good, but I dont play with my car...I am afraid to break anything lol. You can get a copy of the guide off their website under the "support" link
I gotcha, I'm not that handy with the wrench and with no shop classes under my belt, I won't do anything more than a cold air intake or muffler swap.. I havea few ?'s about thevortech if you don't mind:
1. How is the low-end torque on the vortech?
2. What mph or rpm range do you feel the vortech pull the most?
3. What's the maintenence of the vortech charger's?
4.How much is the intercooled vortech? (I believe the non-ic is $3.5k)
If the Price is Right(bob barker) and power band on demand is nice for a dd, I will take the vortech into mind. Thanx Ahead!
Old 10-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I've heard the Vortech is one of the best and the X-charger puts unessesary strain on the engine while using lower quality technology, and having a very shakey power band.

The lack of an intercooler bothers me too, although I actually am not a fan of how intercoolers look, I would personally look into painting mine flat black.

On the plus side the X-Charger is supposed to sound amazing, while the Vortech sounds whiney. Sound is very important to me. I didn't know X-charger was comming out with an intercooler, will this be retrofittable?

Also because the X-charger is constantly boosting the engine, it makes comming off the power dangerous and daily driving risky too (by having all that low end boost). I hate the sound of waste gates so that's out of the question for the first issue.

With the group buy setting off an intercooler maybe the price won't be sky high.

------

As I see it here:

X-charger:

+Most Troque (after they put out intercooler)
+Best Sound

-Low RPM Wear
-Antequated
-Expensive
-Runs Odly

Votech:

+Properly Done
+Efficient

-Whiney

To be honest the fact they are releasing the intercooler and that I went and looked up videos of the X-charger versus the Procharger versus the Vortech has really changed my viewpoint here entierly, I'm very much about sound. I'm still much more for the technical aspects of the Vortech but the X-charger just sounds much better and this is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

When will the group buy be happening, hopefully it won't jump the gun before I can afford this thing?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I see where your coming from. I'm not sure the x-charger puts that much strain on the engine though cause it's just like adding another option to a car like power steering or a/c. And all they do is use up a little more gas and not hurt the engine in any way. I've never heard of the low-rpm where b/c the x-charger comes with a blow-off valve that keeps you out of boostas long as you tap the throttle and not hit it hard at all. The only time I think boost would enter the engine is if your passing someone and accelerate quick.So the onlymain problem I would see is the intercooler. It's supposed to boost the price up another $1-$1.5k but it's also supposed to increase yourhp by50rwhp(better than any other intercooler on the market so it's probably worth it)and allow you to run safer boosts like 10 or 11psi. With the intercooler on the hi-pox-charger you would probably be able to see close to330rwhp on 8psi or more like 350rwhp+ on 11psi.Group buy thread is here with all the info: https://mustangforums.com/m_3763563/tm.htm It ends November 20something, so if you choose the x-charger route you will have a month to decideso you can save money. I was taking into ? thevortech too because of it's price. I'm not sure yet, so I'lldecide after I get the answer to the ?'s from chrisc or someone else.Good Luck on your decision!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Can you explain the low rpm wear, antequatedand run odly? The x has a bypass so the enginedoesnt see boost unless you get in out of vacuum. It acts just like the vortech spins all thetime since its belt driven. If you want power and get the car out of vacuum state then the bypass closes and you get boost.Finally, the vortech is based on turbo technology that is just as old as the x technology I would guess. I have look it up. The newest technology is a twin screw blower. link below
http://www.turbochargedpower.com/History.htm

ORIGINAL: Legion5

I've heard the Vortech is one of the best and the X-charger puts unessesary strain on the engine while using lower quality technology, and having a very shakey power band.

The lack of an intercooler bothers me too, although I actually am not a fan of how intercoolers look, I would personally look into painting mine flat black.

On the plus side the X-Charger is supposed to sound amazing, while the Vortech sounds whiney. Sound is very important to me. I didn't know X-charger was comming out with an intercooler, will this be retrofittable?

Also because the X-charger is constantly boosting the engine, it makes comming off the power dangerous and daily driving risky too (by having all that low end boost). I hate the sound of waste gates so that's out of the question for the first issue.

With the group buy setting off an intercooler maybe the price won't be sky high.

------

As I see it here:

X-charger:

+Most Troque (after they put out intercooler)
+Best Sound

-Low RPM Wear
-Antequated
-Expensive
-Runs Odly

Votech:

+Properly Done
+Efficient

-Whiney

To be honest the fact they are releasing the intercooler and that I went and looked up videos of the X-charger versus the Procharger versus the Vortech has really changed my viewpoint here entierly, I'm very much about sound. I'm still much more for the technical aspects of the Vortech but the X-charger just sounds much better and this is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

When will the group buy be happening, hopefully it won't jump the gun before I can afford this thing?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

I gotcha, I'm not that handy with the wrench and with no shop classes under my belt, I won't do anything more than a cold air intake or muffler swap.. I havea few ?'s about thevortech if you don't mind:
If the Price is Right(bob barker) and power band on demand is nice for a dd, I will take the vortech into mind. Thanx Ahead!
1) low-end torque is amazing, it is almost a completely a flat line when it comes to the torque on the dyno. I think it varies10ft/lbs from one end of the dyno to another.
2)RPM range...seems like if you are stopped, then floor it, you will be at full boost at around 2.2kRPM. For MPH, you will pull hardest from a stop. From rolls, you will pull hardest from 0-40 (that is the non-cooled). If you arenot going from a roll, you will still pull hard at higher speeds.
3) none so far, but I tell this to everybody. get your supercharger checked at the same time you get your car checked. you need to make sure that it is still working properly, or else bad things could happen. it is not likely, but check her ever 10k miles or so
4) I think it is $4.2k last time I checked. The tuner kit is cheaper, and is what you will want to get if you already have a tuner and can pick up some injectors for cheap.

ORIGINAL: schapman

Can you explain the low rpm wear, antequatedand run odly? The x has a bypass so the enginedoesnt see boost unless you get in out of vacuum. It acts just like the vortech spins all thetime since its belt driven. If you want power and get the car out of vacuum state then the bypass closes and you get boost.Finally, the vortech is based on turbo technology that is just as old as the x technology I would guess. I have look it up. The newest technology is a twin screw blower.
The X builds up boost quickly at low RPMs, which means you are in boost more, so you will get more wear. When it comes down to it, boost is bad for an engine. Non-intercooled boost is even worse for an engine. I am not sure how it runs oddly though. Technically, the X is either outdated or going to be outdated soon, because Eaton is making a new series of chargers. I dont think that you should care about that lol
Old 10-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

1) low-end torque is amazing, it is almost a completely a flat line when it comes to the torque on the dyno. I think it varies10ft/lbs from one end of the dyno to another.
2)RPM range...seems like if you are stopped, then floor it, you will be at full boost at around 2.2kRPM. For MPH, you will pull hardest from a stop. From rolls, you will pull hardest from 0-40 (that is the non-cooled). If you arenot going from a roll, you will still pull hard at higher speeds.
3) none so far, but I tell this to everybody. get your supercharger checked at the same time you get your car checked. you need to make sure that it is still working properly, or else bad things could happen. it is not likely, but check her ever 10k miles or so
4) I think it is $4.2k last time I checked. The tuner kit is cheaper, and is what you will want to get if you already have a tuner and can pick up some injectors for cheap.

Thanks for the help! So how much different is the low-end power between the vortech and x-charger? That's what I'm really trying to find out. Also, one last ?. Is the vortech track proven like the x-charger. How do their numbers compare? Thanx for all the help. With the way this is looking, the intercooled vortech might be the better way to go(engine wear and power wise). Thanx Ahead!

Quick Reply: Which supercharger is the best for me?