Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vortech info and help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:06 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech info and help!

The fuel pump will max out at the same PSI on a turbo and a supercharger. With a turbo and supercharger, they have truly the same HP at the crank, but s/c's get significantly less to the ground because the s/c itself is an accessory which sucks power. The fuel pump does not care how much power is going to the ground at all. There is a really easy way to calculate crank hp...

((n/a hp)/14.7)*(14.7+(boost psi))
Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Ok, than I guess all I wanna know is how much psi the stock fuel pump goes bat at? Fazm, what psi did yours go bad at, and anyone else who knows about superchargers post an answer.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:03 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

actually a s/c will run out of fuel before a turbo car does. it takes less fuel for a turbo to reach XXpsi than it does a supercharger. not sure as to why, i just remember VMP saying it.

i believe with the wiring upgrade the stock pump is good for 14/15psi on the s/c and about 16psi on a turbo.

without minus about 2psi for each.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fazm

actually a s/c will run out of fuel before a turbo car does. it takes less fuel for a turbo to reach XXpsi than it does a supercharger. not sure as to why, i just remember VMP saying it.

i believe with the wiring upgrade the stock pump is good for 14/15psi on the s/c and about 16psi on a turbo.

without minus about 2psi for each.
What's the wiring upgrade?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

I would assume he is talking about running a heavier gauge wire in place of the factory wires. If im correct the factory wires are 14 ga.(could be 16?)and people are running 12 ga. in place of that. It will help your fuel pump run a little cooler and more effeciently, probably even extending the life of the pump in the process.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Oh and I beleive the reason the s/c will use a lil more fuel than the turbo is because of the design in the way they are driven. Everyone knows that s/c are driven either by belt and pulley, or in some cases gear driven but not on mustangs, so its like adding another accessory on the engine like a A/C compressor. Turbos run off exhaust gases already leaving the engine so it doesnt take any power to drive the turbo's.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

I would assume he is talking about running a heavier gauge wire in place of the factory wires. If im correct the factory wires are 14 ga.(could be 16?)and people are running 12 ga. in place of that. It will help your fuel pump run a little cooler and more effeciently, probably even extending the life of the pump in the process.
Anyideas where to get them?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Anyideas where to get them?

Any auto parts store. But you arent going to be able to go to the guy at the counter and say " I need the wiring upgrade". You got to actually buy the heavier gauge wire by the spool, and get the electrical connetors and the eletrical pliars and get under there cut out the existing wiring from the pump in the tank and replace it with the wiring you bought. Its a custom mod that you would probably have to hire someone to do.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, he was talking to me. I said it was high(340-355rwhp). I'm going to expect somewhere around 330-340rwhp. Here's the math to help you. Screaming 12psi 313rwhp=me +duals(+5rwhp) +aluminum driveshaft(+8rwhp)+shorty headers(+5-7rwhp) and maybe a throttle body(10rwhp) but that wasn't included in my original guess so I'll negate that. That's easily 330rwhp! Why not say 330rwhp-340rwhp then for a guess. It's reasonable and if I add the throttle body, I can expect 340-350rwhp.
Good luck with that.
Seriously, I recall vividly that you were already advised that you can't do the math like that. Parts just don't "stack" hp like that, otherwise people who did straight bolt-ons would be seeing incredible hp #'s.
Alum. driveshaft I have never seen dyno 8 rwhp gain. They are not a dyno mod, they are a real world driving mod that smooths out the acceleration/driving while reducing rotational weight. Good for et's, but not sure for the dyno queens.
Throttle body 10rwhp? Keep us posted.
And getting all these to stack with each other? Hahaha, just doesn't work out like that.
Usually if I don't have anything good to say I just keep my nose out of it, but you've already been down this road regarding mods and just aren't seeming to understand.
Unfortunately, others read these threads that are new to modding and start thinking the same thing.
Best advice I can give is to use a search function on this and other forums and take notes if you think you will forget. Call performance shops and ask their advice about what direction you plan on going.
By the way, Fazm and Wickerbill are both correct. The wiring upgrade will decrease your duty cycle by about 8% or morefrom what I understand. PowerHouse has been doing this for quite some time for their customers, and I am sure most performance shops are aware of it.
Do your homework, search button is your friend.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckman

Yeah, he was talking to me. I said it was high(340-355rwhp). I'm going to expect somewhere around 330-340rwhp. Here's the math to help you. Screaming 12psi 313rwhp=me +duals(+5rwhp) +aluminum driveshaft(+8rwhp)+shorty headers(+5-7rwhp) and maybe a throttle body(10rwhp) but that wasn't included in my original guess so I'll negate that. That's easily 330rwhp! Why not say 330rwhp-340rwhp then for a guess. It's reasonable and if I add the throttle body, I can expect 340-350rwhp.
Good luck with that.
Seriously, I recall vividly that you were already advised that you can't do the math like that. Parts just don't "stack" hp like that, otherwise people who did straight bolt-ons would be seeing incredible hp #'s.
Alum. driveshaft I have never seen dyno 8 rwhp gain. They are not a dyno mod, they are a real world driving mod that smooths out the acceleration/driving while reducing rotational weight. Good for et's, but not sure for the dyno queens.
Throttle body 10rwhp? Keep us posted.
And getting all these to stack with each other? Hahaha, just doesn't work out like that.
Usually if I don't have anything good to say I just keep my nose out of it, but you've already been down this road regarding mods and just aren't seeming to understand.
Unfortunately, others read these threads that are new to modding and start thinking the same thing.
Best advice I can give is to use a search function on this and other forums and take notes if you think you will forget. Call performance shops and ask their advice about what direction you plan on going.
By the way, Fazm and Wickerbill are both correct. The wiring upgrade will decrease your duty cycle by about 8% or morefrom what I understand. PowerHouse has been doing this for quite some time for their customers, and I am sure most performance shops are aware of it.
Do your homework, search button is your friend.
Yeah, thanks for the help guys! Yeah, those were my very very generous guess's because I'm a vey optimistic person. Anyone reading this, those are best case scenario #'s which almost never come out like that. Expect less like buckman said. Thanks for the help again! Any idea how much that would cost to fo the wiring upgrade?

Quick Reply: Vortech info and help!