Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ColdAirIntake+Tune or Gears+T-Lock?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ColdAirIntake+Tune or Gears+T-Lock?

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

ORIGINAL: jrhykushi

errrrm. what exactly is a trutrac or an 8.8 take off?? [&:]
Rygen made this post about 8.8" GT take-off rear end assemblies.

The Ford T-Lok uses clutches to engage both wheels. The Detroit Tru-Trac is an Eaton style LSD, and itdoes not use clutches. As such, it is a stronger LSD than a T-Lok.

Here's the deal - you can rebuild your 7.5" rear with a LSD (T-Lok or Tru-Trac) and gears, which will run you a conservative $700 for parts and labor. Or you can spend a little more and get a take-off 8.8" rear end that is stronger.

I went the former route and lucked out to spend only $600 for parts and labor on my 7.5" rear. In hindsight, I REALLY wished that I went with a 8.8" on my 4.0L/5spd coupe. Right now I'm cutting consistent 60' times of 1.93's on DR's (stock clutch too), and I am now waiting for my 7.5" to give up the ghost. But once it goes I will have a great excuse to buy new parts to mod my car again
Little extra more? Bought my t-lok and gears for $350 and had them installed for $350. $700. 8.8" rears w/gears run $1k shipped from what I've seen. And then add labor for probably at least another $200-$300 that's a $500 difference! That's pretty expensive, and I've seen people running 7.5's witht-lok's and true-trac's onsuperchargers all the time with no problems except a couple that feel like trying to do 5k rpm clutch drops. [&:]I don't think it's worth it unless your going turbocharger or heads/cam and supercharger/turbocharger. Just my 2cents.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Nyjets_fan
1st Gear Member

im planning on the powerhouse turbo so i shjould go with the 8.8 rear end and 4.10 gears or i might go with the tourqe twister
Old 10-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nyjets_fan

im planning on the powerhouse turbo so i shjould go with the 8.8 rear end and 4.10 gears or i might go with the tourqe twister
Either way your gonna be a beast! Good Luck on that!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

sorry been working for the last few days

for centri blowers, 4.10s are fine unless you are trapping 120 mph or more, i cant really help you with roots and turbos i dont really have any experience with them

a few people have run detroit true tracs and girdls in 7.5 rears to 400 rwhp/ftlbs or more, matt neuheart is running something like 800 hp through his eaton on a 7.5

i know the new GTs have the 31 spline 8.8s but ive broken the older 8.8s with stock mach 1 power as well

it depends on weather you drive it like a grandma or dive it like it was ment to be driven

Search this Thread