Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Head and cam dyno numbers....(not mine)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Default Head and cam dyno numbers....(not mine)

Hey Guys, on another site there is a guy who had Doug dyno his car with his head and cams done. I will print the post and link it although it will not go through due to site issues. But if you do a search for another 4.0 site you'll find it. It is from a guy who is running probably the most powerful X-charged car and took it off to get the head cam dyno. Doung was the guy dynoing the car. Well here you go.

well today Doug was out here on the west coast and I got to put my car on the dyno with him, many people have wondered what kind of numbers they might see with heads and cams, well today I found out what mine will do, the cam regrind was kept moderate when done back last winter but the heads were worked pretty good. my new numbers are 201rwhp/216rwtq. this is with the wiseco 8.8-1 pistons, cam regrind, head and valve work, headers, custom double "Y" exhaust with 12" glasspacks, stock injectors and airbox lid, Doug estimates probably another 20ish or so horsepower with some type of CAI, very interesting results to say the least, I am quite happy that I have these actual numbers, only wish I would have dynoed my car before I went crazy modding. LOL hope this helps clear up some questions for some, a more aggressive cam and higher compression ratio pistons would probably do more for a straight N/A car but mine was built for boost longevity.[/align]
[/align]
Old 10-24-2007, 07:01 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Head and cam dyno numbers....(not mine)

That's some interesting info. I honestly expected more, but at least someone tried it haha
Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banka87

That's some interesting info. I honestly expected more, but at least someone tried it haha
If yoy look at it thou, 170 to 201 is not a bad jump 30HP for heads and cam work is a nice gain, plus this is without a CAI or other mod bolt on gainers. His car wasn't running up to snuff either.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Good post Ron.

When I read your subject line, I figured it would only be a matter of time before a NA 4.0L car went with new cams and heads (either aftermarket or ported & polished). Then I realized it was a curious X-charger owner doing us all a favor by taking the time to dyno his motor in NA configuration.

No need commenting on the results - they are what they are (ie - not optimized for a NA set-up). I would love to go this route myself, but the cost per HP is relatively high, and I'm not sure that my car's daily driver status would be as enjoyable if the power band shifts up the rpm range. Conversely, I already have 4.10's, anda cammed 4.0L does sound mean. Where's my checkbook again???
Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

The cost will remain high for a while and probably ever if Ford goes a differnt engine route with the Mustang in 2010. No one makes a blank cam and heads are not the easiest to fine. We are limited. Its great that someone did this and as Doug said if the car was running right with would have been more.....how much ?????
For right now that ain't bad.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

That's about what my car did on a dynojet with my C&L and Doug's racing tune. It was 95 F that day too.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

i too expected more but like ron said 170 to 201 is not abad jump at all. i mean if you can pull out 225rwhp and 245rwtq like it probably would with a CAI thats not too bad. how muc hdid the cams, and heads run him ron?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

you guys are missing the major thing here. This guy put down over 200rwhp with 8.8:1 CR pistons. Doug thinks there is another 20 in there with intake work, so let's say 215rwhp conservateively with 8.8:1 cr. 8.8 is very boost friendly but significantly lower than you want for n/a. Our stock pistons have a 9.7:1 CR which is a considerable difference. You could probably put down a good 10+ rwhp more with the stock pistons over the 8.8's n/a. This makes this information very good. 200rwhp n/a with the stock airbox and lower compression pistons could be good for >235rwhp with the stock pistons and a better intake.

edit: i just went and checked out the original post and noticed it's bscottie. So keep in mind here guys that this was an automatic car with a lower CR than stock, and cams that are better for a blown car. These are GREAT numbers imo. think about it this way-

201rwhp on an auto = 210ish rwhp on a manual + a solid 15+ with an intake, and im sure there is more left if he were to use a more n/a style cam. 235-240rwhp is doable.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

you guys are missing the major thing here. This guy put down over 200rwhp with 8.8:1 CR pistons. Doug thinks there is another 20 in there with intake work, so let's say 215rwhp conservateively with 8.8:1 cr. 8.8 is very boost friendly but significantly lower than you want for n/a. Our stock pistons have a 9.7:1 CR which is a considerable difference. You could probably put down a good 10+ rwhp more with the stock pistons over the 8.8's n/a. This makes this information very good. 200rwhp n/a with the stock airbox and lower compression pistons could be good for >235rwhp with the stock pistons and a better intake.

edit: i just went and checked out the original post and noticed it's bscottie. So keep in mind here guys that this was an automatic car with a lower CR than stock, and cams that are better for a blown car. These are GREAT numbers imo. think about it this way-

201rwhp on an auto = 210ish rwhp on a manual + a solid 15+ with an intake, and im sure there is more left if he were to use a more n/a style cam. 235-240rwhp is doable.
Hmph...As I think about it more in perspective, it makes a lot more sense. May be worth the cash down the road...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Clay thanks, said much better than I could have. I truely believe that these are good if not great numbers. If tuned right and put togetherspecificly for an N/A car who know what you get and imagine the TQ numbers you could put down. Look past this HP number and see the potential here.

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

Quick Reply: Head and cam dyno numbers....(not mine)