Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Noisy Manual Transmission Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Noisy Manual Transmission Poll

mine also has the same noises
i have a 05 with 38000 miles on it
i bought it used said somethen about it then and they said it was normal that if i wanted to drive a brand new one i could and it would be the same
Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

yeah the noise that we ALL seem to have with the clutch disengaged has nothing to do with the T-5 tranny. That is something to do with the throwout bearing, whether its because the metal its made of, or a lack of lubrication from not having enough grease pre packed, or whatever it may be I dont think its a serious issue or we ALL would be having breakdowns because of it. As for the transmission itself mine is absolutely fine by me so far. I have had the car since last july and have 7k on it with no issues to complain about at all. Ofcourse the shifter could be a lil smoother and shorter but again that has nothing to do with the T-5.
Well actually Ford first told me the noise was the input shaft spinning, but I had assumed the noise was the throwout bearing. So either way it is transmission related, and for the gear rollover noise a lot of people are experiencing that is related to the transmission. So both of the problems may be T5 transmission related. You seem to think this noise is normal when no other manual transmission car I have ever owned has done it, not even my 02 mustang with the T5 transmission. I am merely trying to figure out if it is a problem or not.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:57 PM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

I have an 05 v6 with almos 11700 miles which i bought used a week ago. It has the sounds that have been told and also when I'm cruising at 5th at between 1500-2000 rpm I get a whistlin noise (like the one a diff makes when it is not aligned) but after getting up in the 2000+ rpms (which means 60+) it stops or at least i cant hear it anymore (car is completely stock)...

My other car also has a t-5...its just to damm loud theres no way to see if it sounds alike lol
Old 10-30-2007, 05:46 PM
blackstang14
2nd Gear Member

I agree, the transmission seems reliable but definitely quirky. After my tune my resting rpm's at neutral are around 1000 rpm which got rid of that whirring sound and now idles very smoothly. As for the rest I too have trouble getting into reverse, noisy/clunky shifts (2-3). I was wondering what options we have to upgrade our tranny or are we stuck with it unless we want to shell out big bucks?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Well actually Ford first told me the noise was the input shaft spinning, but I had assumed the noise was the throwout bearing. So either way it is transmission related, and for the gear rollover noise a lot of people are experiencing that is related to the transmission. So both of the problems may be T5 transmission related. You seem to think this noise is normal when no other manual transmission car I have ever owned has done it, not even my 02 mustang with the T5 transmission. I am merely trying to figure out if it is a problem or not.
Misinformation really bothers me and you have been given the wrong info from ford. First off the noise that stops when the clutch is pushed CANNOT be the input shaft. I have this same noise. The input shaft is constantly turning so if that were the sound it would not stop when you push in the clutch. I also thought about the pilot bearing but it also spins all the time. The ONLY item that doesnt spin when the clutch is engaged is the throw out bearing. You need to be armed with good info b4 you talk to a Ford Engineer so that you can help trace down your problem, so please dont take all this the wrong way because im not trying to start a debate just trying to help a fellow mustang friend. So when you talk to them about the noise that stops when you press the clutch know that it has absolutely nothing to do with the T-5, but rather the clutch assembly. Now, your second noise, the marble sound. Obviously I cannot hear it so I cant say if it is normal or not. The orientation of the transmission in our cars to the cabin makes the slightest sounds really noticeable.And you can have the same tranny(T5)in many different year vehicles and have the same parts internal made from different materials or even by different casting processes, and these different processes anddifferent metals can make for noises that arent there in other cars with the same tranny.I for one have no noises in my T-5 other than normal manual tranny sounds.When troubleshooting a manual trans you first drive the car to feel for any vibrations and then you drain to fluid to check for metal. If your tranny is failing because of this noise you will have one of 3 things happen.1.)Trans will shed metal shavings off the failed part 2.)The car will pick up a vibration that goes along with the ground speed of the car or 3.) it will be hard to get into gear, more so than our stock shifters already are!So when you take it in for the marble sound tell them to drain the trans fluid in something clean and check for metal. If there is no metal in the fluid and you cannot feel the tranny vibrating, just can hear something, there isnt too much to worry about, other than driving a car that costs $20k or less that will always have those pesky little noises. Good Luck!

Oh and sorry for such a long post I get a little long winded trying to express what I am thinking. Hope this helps you man.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

Misinformation really bothers me and you have been given the wrong info from ford. First off the noise that stops when the clutch is pushed CANNOT be the input shaft. I have this same noise. The input shaft is constantly turning so if that were the sound it would not stop when you push in the clutch. I also thought about the pilot bearing but it also spins all the time. The ONLY item that doesnt spin when the clutch is engaged is the throw out bearing. You need to be armed with good info b4 you talk to a Ford Engineer so that you can help trace down your problem, so please dont take all this the wrong way because im not trying to start a debate just trying to help a fellow mustang friend. So when you talk to them about the noise that stops when you press the clutch know that it has absolutely nothing to do with the T-5, but rather the clutch assembly. Now, your second noise, the marble sound. Obviously I cannot hear it so I cant say if it is normal or not. The orientation of the transmission in our cars to the cabin makes the slightest sounds really noticeable.And you can have the same tranny(T5)in many different year vehicles and have the same parts internal made from different materials or even by different casting processes, and these different processes anddifferent metals can make for noises that arent there in other cars with the same tranny.I for one have no noises in my T-5 other than normal manual tranny sounds.When troubleshooting a manual trans you first drive the car to feel for any vibrations and then you drain to fluid to check for metal. If your tranny is failing because of this noise you will have one of 3 things happen.1.)Trans will shed metal shavings off the failed part 2.)The car will pick up a vibration that goes along with the ground speed of the car or 3.) it will be hard to get into gear, more so than our stock shifters already are!So when you take it in for the marble sound tell them to drain the trans fluid in something clean and check for metal. If there is no metal in the fluid and you cannot feel the tranny vibrating, just can hear something, there isnt too much to worry about, other than driving a car that costs $20k or less that will always have those pesky little noises. Good Luck!

Oh and sorry for such a long post I get a little long winded trying to express what I am thinking. Hope this helps you man.
Well put, Sir.