Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Noisy Manual Transmission Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:30 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Default Noisy Manual Transmission Poll

Hi all, I have a noisy T5 transmission, and from some other threads I've noticed many of you do too. I am still not convinced all the noise is normal and would to see how many of you have had this noise and what your experience with the dealership has been.

1st noise - Clutch not depressed, car idling and you can hear a whirring noise, sounds like throwout bearing, depress clutch and the noise goes away.

2nd noise - Lots of gear noise at lower RPM, described as marbles or something rolling around in transmission at lower RPM and positive torque.

Please also post what Ford has said, your year, and mileage. I would appreciate a lot of replies since I am going to Ford to speak with an engineer about this issue.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:30 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Noisy Manual Transmission Poll

I really havent noticed any noises that are worth worrying about....other than the crunchiness of the shifts, I really havent had a problem with it
Old 10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

what year is your car? so when the clutch is not depressed you can't hear a "whirring" sound, which could be either the throwout bearing or the input shaft spinning, and no low RPM gear noise? thanks for your reply.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM
v65speed

2007 V6 5-speed.

My car exhibits all of the issues you have stated.

- whirring from clutch when in neutral and clutch released
- notchy shifter
- often very difficult to engage reverse - have to pull the shifter into fourth a couple of times then it will allow shift to reverse
- grinding noise at low speed especially in 4th gear
- "clunk" from drivetrain on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts

The local Ford dealer claims all noises are normal and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 PM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

I get the whiring noise when the clutch is not pressed in. It does not bother me much as long as it is not really causing a problem with the transmission.

I do not get the grinding noise at low RPM that I hear some people talk about.

I certain RPMs depending on which gear I am in, I hear a whine from the transmission.
It is not loud and does not bother me.

What bothers me the most is the clunk from the drive train on lower gear shifts. I would really like to know what causes that clunk. I have heard people say its the drive shaft, the rear end, or the transmission.
No one seems to really know where the clunk is really coming from.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:19 PM
acrbill

My TOB makes some racket. The shifter was notchy until I cut 1.5" off of the rod in order to make changing radio stations easier. Now its downright hard to shift sometimes.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:19 PM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

I'mone with a quiet transmission. I do sometimes hear some kind of rhythmic rattle when I sit at idle with the cluchdepressedbut I don't think it's a tranny noise. The rattle 'goes away' if I turn up the radio(ha ha)and it's been there since day onebut it's not something that's so loud or annoying that I've investigated it further.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

someone checked that Ford fixed it, would you mind saying what Ford did?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Mines noisy. I haven't taken it to the Dealer because everyone on here says they'll tell me to shove it haha.

I have both noises described.

2006 V6 5speed.

12.5k miles on it, it's done it since day one.

I figured it would go away after it broke in for awhile *sigh*
Old 10-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

yeah the noise that we ALL seem to have with the clutch disengaged has nothing to do with the T-5 tranny. That is something to do with the throwout bearing, whether its because the metal its made of, or a lack of lubrication from not having enough grease pre packed, or whatever it may be I dont think its a serious issue or we ALL would be having breakdowns because of it. As for the transmission itself mine is absolutely fine by me so far. I have had the car since last july and have 7k on it with no issues to complain about at all. Ofcourse the shifter could be a lil smoother and shorter but again that has nothing to do with the T-5.

Quick Reply: Noisy Manual Transmission Poll