MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   Supercharger!!! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/363636-supercharger.html)

2007MustangV6 10-29-2007 06:13 PM

Supercharger!!!

Hey all, I've finally saved up enough money to buy a supercharger for my car!But now my dad is warning me that if I put one in it will probably be too much for my engine to handle and cause the parts to break down much quicker. Is this true and is there only certain parts I should replace if it is true? Also, which supercharger would you reccomend and about how much does it cost?

The Potato 10-29-2007 06:25 PM

RE: Supercharger!!!

I have read many times from different sources that a supercharger will not destroy or harm your engine in any way. If you keep your engine in good condition, there should be no problems with your engine if you supercharge it.

Sancho805 10-29-2007 06:45 PM

yeah, i believe that it also depends on how much psi you are running. i'm not very knowledgeable on F/I but i know that if you run low/mid boost, you should be A-OK with your stock parts.

2007MustangV6 10-29-2007 06:50 PM

Haha, JUST WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR! Thanks for the input guys. I think my dad was worried about my 6-banger Mustang beating his '69 Camaro lol. Hopefully my pony will give his camaro a run for his mone after all my mods!

Rhino77 10-29-2007 06:55 PM

If you keep it at 8 or 9 psi, you'll be fine with the internals, as the 6'rs have strong forged internals.
I'd wait a few more months until they release the xcharger with the intercooler, that's my plan.

2007MustangV6 10-29-2007 06:57 PM

What's the benefit of the "xcharger" compared to the others?

Buckman 10-29-2007 08:48 PM

as the 6'rs have strong forged internals.
Wrong. They have good rods from the factory, but the pistons are still iffy.
Still, that being said, running 9 lbs of boost is very safe. Key is in the tune. Get a good tune at 9 psi and you are golden.

What's the benefit of the "xcharger" compared to the others?
The X has a good street feel to it. Power is down low in the band, making for fun streetlight to streetlight action.
I've driven Nav's car (fastest 4.0 Xcharger I think) and it was a very spirited, fun ride. Responsive and gives a good grunt off the line.
I don't think anyone can go wrong with the kit, especially with the intercooler looming in the near future for it.

07lane40 10-29-2007 09:10 PM

so buckman, are the pistons the only "iffy" part to the engine? what parts are forged? if i plan on running around 15psi or so when i go f/i what should i replace? im looking to build up my enging very sturdy before i do any major power adders, so i wont have any major problems in the future. im just wondering what you think as far as seting up an engine thats not gonna be prone to breaking or having any weak links.

Buckman 10-29-2007 09:39 PM

I would at the minimum replace the pistons with Diamonds, Wiseco or another reputable company. You can determine what CR to go with them as well. Forced Induction probably low 9's to high 8's, depending on how much boost you want to run. I think Rygen is running 8.8:1 CR.
One thing to keep in mind is the lower the CR the more issues you will have launching, so will need to stall up higher to rectify it. Def. gives you more potential to run higher boost though.
I am pretty sure the rods are decent, they are forged from the factory.
To be honest though, if I were looking to run 15 psi long term I would investigate the cost of doing pistons, wrist pins, ring landings, arp bolts, bearings,the works and price it out.
Talk to local engine builders and get their input, they will be valuable and I would take their word over mine.

vxtonkaboy 10-30-2007 05:43 AM

So i am looking to get the x-charger when i have saved enough money. I live in high altitude (SP?) and i am told i will lose 1.5-2 PSI right off the bat. What PSI should i be runnning to get close to 300 rwhp? And now the question related to this topic, is the 6 strong enough to run that psi without switching out anything else?