Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SoCal Newbie with a question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default SoCal Newbie with a question!

Hello fellow mustang enthusiasts! I just got myself an 05 v6 Mustang about 3 weeks ago, and I've been on this site since... only stopping now to take time to contribute to these awesome forums! I do have a question though. I've seen a lot of clips of "true" dual set-ups, and many of the v6ers I see have some backfire/popping issues. Now, I plan on doing an true dual conversion and CAI intake/tuner kit somewhere down the road, and I was wondering if I might be running into the same issues... I don't want my car to pop louder than it rumbles! will doing these mods hand-in-hand help me avoid this situation?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SoCal Newbie with a question!

no need to worry......as long as you purchase some reputable muffs, you'll be happy. i get a little popping but only at very high rpms when i'm reving on my driveway.....hehe. still, its nothing to worry bout. where in socal are you?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

so does it make a difference? should I wait to do these mods at the same time anyway?

i'm in garden grove, OC
Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

It seems like the first step with exhaust is gettin a gt takeoff. That's what I did, and its easy.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

you can get ur exhaust whenever. it won't affect your tune. as an example: i got my duals first...then about 2 weeks later i got my tuner/intake.....the biggest difference you will feel will be from your tuner/intake. save some money and purchase your tuner/intake through a performance shop of your choice since it will come preloaded from the shop's custom tunes. these are much better than the tuner's default (canned) tunes straight from the manufacturer (SCT, DIABLO, etc.). if sound, looks and just a little extra kick is all you need at this time, go with the exhaust. thats what i did.

i got a place in LBC by the way so you kinda close by........welcome to the forums!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I know what you mean, that popping sounds nasty! I'm sure that there are other ways to go about it, but what I did was to use a Ford racing X-pipe along with a couple of GT take off mufflers. Sounds great, without the popping. No drone either!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: 68XR7

I know what you mean, that popping sounds nasty! I'm sure that there are other ways to go about it, but what I did was to use a Ford racing X-pipe along with a couple of GT take off mufflers. Sounds great, without the popping. No drone either!
I did the same thing!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i live in lakewood and will be done with the movie im on on november 16 you can meet up on the weekend if you like. i have duals with gt take offs and a magnaflow x-pipe
Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afixer

i live in lakewood and will be done with the movie im on on november 16 you can meet up on the weekend if you like. i have duals with gt take offs and a magnaflow x-pipe
i thought i saw your ride at the lakewood mall.....if not, it sure looked similar.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 PM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

most seem to have more popping when the catalytic converters are still cool,

Quick Reply: SoCal Newbie with a question!