Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Make sure your airbox is secure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:36 AM
PonyUp
1st Gear Member

Default Make sure your airbox is secure!

Ok, so file this one under, DUH! I was on a highway yesterday, and when I gave the car some gas, all of the sudden, it "sputtered" and refused to move past 1 mph! So, I had to crawl to the breakdown lane and get the car towed. So, what was the cause? Well, according to the Ford service guys..Apperently, the last time the quicklane guys chnaged my oil, they must have inspected my air filler. Whoever did that, failed to secure the airbox together properly, So, in the last month or so since the oil change, the engine has been sucking "dirty" air. Well, yesterday I guess the ol' engine had enough of it, and the final diagnosis was that I need a new MAS and a new throttle body! Yikes, looking at like 800 bucks! SO, whats your thaughts, do you think I should go after the dealer that changed the oil last???
Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Make sure your airbox is secure!

Dude...you better not be paying for that.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Why new ones... they can just be cleaned.

Either way... you should not pay for it.

ORIGINAL: PonyUp

Ok, so file this one under, DUH! I was on a highway yesterday, and when I gave the car some gas, all of the sudden, it "sputtered" and refused to move past 1 mph! So, I had to crawl to the breakdown lane and get the car towed. So, what was the cause? Well, according to the Ford service guys..Apperently, the last time the quicklane guys chnaged my oil, they must have inspected my air filler. Whoever did that, failed to secure the airbox together properly, So, in the last month or so since the oil change, the engine has been sucking "dirty" air. Well, yesterday I guess the ol' engine had enough of it, and the final diagnosis was that I need a new MAS and a new throttle body! Yikes, looking at like 800 bucks! SO, whats your thaughts, do you think I should go after the dealer that changed the oil last???
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 AM
theresa
4th Gear Member

Good luck trying to get the dealer to pay for it though !

Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 AM
PonyUp
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I have tough battle ahead of me. But, Iwas wondering too, if the engine was sucking on insufficiant air, wouldn't the computer give me a code of some sort long ago??
Old 10-31-2007, 10:21 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Was it running hard at all?

Something different should have happened.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
PonyUp
1st Gear Member

No, not really, I had no indication that anything was wrong until I hit the gas to get the HW..

Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Do you still have your reciept from the dealer? I would definately approach the dealer about it. If they give you the run around, report them to the BBB.

Years ago, I had a Buick Electra that was given to us by my grandmother. I took it to Jiffy Lube for them to change the oil and filter. Well, I didn't inspect under the hood until a few days later......the butts forgot to put my oil cap back on! Oil was spattered all over my hood! I went back and they denied that they left the cap off.....what turds! I reported them and advised folks from doing business with them.
I take my vehicles to the dealer now.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

yeah, i take my fords to the dealership for regular maintenence now......so ford didnt change ur oil last? if not, i would get the diagnosis report and take it to the oil shop. stand your ground and be firm.....dont let em get away with half-*** work....GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 PM
theresa
4th Gear Member

Years ago I took a car to one of those quicky lube places for an oil change before
we were leaving to go camping. They also top the fluids off.Well...they ended up
topping my master cylinder off with something other then brake fluid. On the drive
home I hit the brakes and they went to the floor. We had to drain everything from the
brake line and refilled it. It was some sort of slimmy stuff floating on the top in the master
cylinder. We saved it and when we returned from camping took some of it to them and they
analyzed it and said they didn't find anything in it !!!! We never persued it. Skanks !
Haven't been back to one of those "quicky" places.

Quick Reply: Make sure your airbox is secure!