Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

new cai/tune owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:38 PM
sopenco1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: new cai/tune owner

jajaja oh well i guess ill do some research on it when i have time and ill make a post about it.. too busy right now writing alot of research papers for mi college classes...... college sucks:-(!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Ok guys here I am again to save the day with my mechanical knowledge j/k

The exhaust does sound louder when the ambient temp is cooler than when the temp is warmer. And Sancho is partly right it has to do with the cooler, which means more dense, air. But it has nothing to do with the mufflers reacting to the colder air, its all about the intake folks. When it is cold outside your car's engine works more effeciently and if you havent noticed it will actually have more power as well. The colder more dense air charge into the engine creates more air leaving the engine to the muffs. The more air through the exhaust the louder and deeper it is, thats why V8's sound so damn good all the time! And this is the same reason that when you buy a CAI that it changes the exhaust sound, especially if your intake has a larger MAF. The more air that goes through the more air that has to come out, kinda like SteelStang.....haha....lmfao.

Dont fret SteelStang its all in good fun
Old 11-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

The responsiveness the tune and cai adds is worth it alone, no more of the computer feeling like it gets "confused". Occasionally while stock,I would gas it, and it wouldtake a couple of secondsto respond...Acouple of secondsIS the differencebetween life or death when you need to get out of a dangerous situation.

Another positive addition to getting the CAI + tuner is the fact that gas mileage will increase.
Stock my average mpg was 17.4, with the tune and intake, I'm averaging about 19.2
Not a whole hell of a lot of mpg increase, but with the responsiveness and aggresiveness it opens up, mpg increase is likefringe benefit.

Hell, it's a Mustang, open them ponies up!
And the sucking sound it makes is pretty dang cool.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Thats it exactly. The lag on automatic equipped carsis terrible if not downright DANGEROUS. The car is so much more fun to drive with the 93 tune and on trips the87 mileage tuneis fantastic with 24.4 mpg before and 29.1 mpg!!! after. I drove 406 miles on 13.956 gals. on a trip back toLong Islandfrom Montgomery,Al. My around town mileage stayed the same with either tune at around 19 -20 mpg. This is the BEST bang for the buck mod you can do to automatic equipped V-6 Mustangs. Justin at VMPtuning is great!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

Ok guys here I am again to save the day with my mechanical knowledge j/k

The exhaust does sound louder when the ambient temp is cooler than when the temp is warmer. And Sancho is partly right it has to do with the cooler, which means more dense, air. But it has nothing to do with the mufflers reacting to the colder air, its all about the intake folks. When it is cold outside your car's engine works more effeciently and if you havent noticed it will actually have more power as well. The colder more dense air charge into the engine creates more air leaving the engine to the muffs. The more air through the exhaust the louder and deeper it is, thats why V8's sound so damn good all the time! And this is the same reason that when you buy a CAI that it changes the exhaust sound, especially if your intake has a larger MAF. The more air that goes through the more air that has to come out, kinda like SteelStang.....haha....lmfao.

Dont fret SteelStang its all in good fun
no wonder my 4banger ranger feels like my stang in the cold mornings!!!!....hehe, jk.......but yeah, thanks for the info wick. that definately makes sense.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:28 PM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

so when you guys say cai/tune...what are you talking about...i mean what brands sct/diablosport etc?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 AM
backinblack68

Cold air intake and tuner are definitely better, but if you can't afford these, try turning off your overdrive and traction control (tcs)-makes a big difference!
Old 11-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

other than needing to race people, I dont see why any faster than our cars is necessary without killing yourselves.......it just means you get over the speed limit quicker. I'm really getting used to my car and could care less about spending 600 bux on a tuner.
Then don't. It's your choice.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

so can anyone tell me what CIA's use a new/bigger MAF sensor? also what size MAFS our cars have? i was gonna buy a C&L, but then i saw that it reused the stock MAF sensor, so i was just gonna wait until i found one with a larger MAFS.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:36 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

everyone will use the stock airsensor, it is the housing size that will change. The k&n, airraid, S&B, ones like that dont have a bigger one, and therefore dont require a tune (although it is much better with one) and ones like the C&L, JLT, deMolet and the mac/steeda all have bigger housings and therefore require a tune

Quick Reply: new cai/tune owner