Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exterior trim cleaning tip!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Default Exterior trim cleaning tip!

I bought my car used with about 8k miles on it. My first weekend I owned it, I wanted to was/wax/detail it.......as good Mustang owners will. The paint/finish was clean, but my pony had a few blemishes. The previous owner got a little carried away with a paste car wax near the "ridged moldings" surrounding some of the doors/hood/tailight trim. Not GLARINGLY ugly....but if I know you guys,(and judjing by a few posts I have read, you are ALL fanatical car detailers) you would lose sleep over the slightest blemish on your car. I went to work experimenting. This was my solution to paste wax deposits on some of the "ridged molding" issues...(rocker panel, and hood vent molding)
My first thought led me to traditional car cleaning products......wax removers.....etc.....none of them removed the dried wax from my molding. I finally had to get all medieval! I went to my local grocery store and bought a cheap electric toothbrush..........you read it right....one of those cheap electric tooth brushes we buy for our kids. Kids love them, and so do our cars! I used my new electric toothbrush ......with some cheap toothpaste, held it on the waxed molding and rinsed any area with a spray bottle of water until plastic molding dried to it's original finish. Electric toothbrush is maneuverable enough to be precise, and strong enough to get the job done. (without messing up paint job) I know it is stupid......but I no longer have old paste wax deposits on any of my molding on my car. I'm happy!

BTW.......when used on the front grille.......with warm soapy water......the toothbrush also removes a great deal of moth/bug splatters!....
ALSO.....Vinnegar......on a lint free cloth........will remove water spots on windows.....AVOID paint /interior cloth contact.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exterior trim cleaning tip!

ill try anything once. i bought my 40 used also last spring on a lease return from a less than detail oriented woman. any luck removing water marks from vinyl stripes? ive tried armor all, alcohol, vinegar, a variety of soaps, bathroom cleaners. the best ive been is to wax heavily and buff with a damp lint free cloth. but you can still see the worst of i up really close. ill paint them back on when i get my KR hood and that will be the end of that mess.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:12 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I use Zaino Perfect tire gloss on anything black and it worked great as well. One coat for a satin finish and two coats for a higher gloss. It wont cause fading of anything rubber, vinyl, or black plastic. I use it on the moldings all around the outside of the car and the black plastic at the bottom of the windsheild. I also use it on anything black under the hood. It doesn't attract dust and dries without being oily. Lasts for weeks!Great stuff should give it a try! Great suggestion below as well. J
ORIGINAL: musicheadt

I bought my car used with about 8k miles on it. My first weekend I owned it, I wanted to was/wax/detail it.......as good Mustang owners will. The paint/finish was clean, but my pony had a few blemishes. The previous owner got a little carried away with a paste car wax near the "ridged moldings" surrounding some of the doors/hood/tailight trim. Not GLARINGLY ugly....but if I know you guys,(and judjing by a few posts I have read, you are ALL fanatical car detailers) you would lose sleep over the slightest blemish on your car. I went to work experimenting. This was my solution to paste wax deposits on some of the "ridged molding" issues...(rocker panel, and hood vent molding)
My first thought led me to traditional car cleaning products......wax removers.....etc.....none of them removed the dried wax from my molding. I finally had to get all medieval! I went to my local grocery store and bought a cheap electric toothbrush..........you read it right....one of those cheap electric tooth brushes we buy for our kids. Kids love them, and so do our cars! I used my new electric toothbrush ......with some cheap toothpaste, held it on the waxed molding and rinsed any area with a spray bottle of water until plastic molding dried to it's original finish. Electric toothbrush is maneuverable enough to be precise, and strong enough to get the job done. (without messing up paint job) I know it is stupid......but I no longer have old paste wax deposits on any of my molding on my car. I'm happy!

BTW.......when used on the front grille.......with warm soapy water......the toothbrush also removes a great deal of moth/bug splatters!....
ALSO.....Vinnegar......on a lint free cloth........will remove water spots on windows.....AVOID paint /interior cloth contact.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:19 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

I use a product called Back to Black on the black plastic trim on the car if any wax turned white on it. That's the only thing that will take it off without messing up the plastic's satin finish. Also I'd be using meguiar's carnauba wax (or was it mother's, I always get those two confused) if I hadn't bought two cans of wax from ebay already of the brand I normally use. well I figure wax is wax, I'll use this stuff up then switch.

I wonder if anyone has used Zaino's leather care products.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 PM
DemonLlama

+1 to Zaino Tire Gloss

also +1 to Back to Black (made by Mothers, btw).

I've used Zaino's leather care on the interior (and love it), but never tried it on the exterior trim. It's not cheap, and there's no reason to make the outside of my car smell like leather. The tire dressing works well, though.