Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Important Turbo ?'s:

Old 11-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Important Turbo ?'s:

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

4.10s would be too much, stay with 3.55's or 3.73's. Some even get by with the turbo fine on stock gears and just go to a smaller tire. Any shop can do the shimmed valve springs, the shims themselves is like 10 bucks worth of parts, its more labor at around 300-350. Call Powerhouse, they have the info. www.powerhouse411.com.
Thanks for the help! Do you think 29" tall tires will fix my problems b/c I already have 4.10's?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:09 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

4.10s would be too much, stay with 3.55's or 3.73's. Some even get by with the turbo fine on stock gears and just go to a smaller tire. Any shop can do the shimmed valve springs, the shims themselves is like 10 bucks worth of parts, its more labor at around 300-350. Call Powerhouse, they have the info. www.powerhouse411.com.
Thanks for the help! Do you think 29" tall tires will fix my problems b/c I already have 4.10's?
A 28in tire will put you at around a 3.90ish effective ratio. 29" tires, I think when i looked for a tire that big it was an SuV tire. Not sure what you can find out there. But a 3.90ish may be too much gear for a turbo, but you got what you got, give it a go and then go from there. You could run M&H or Nitto's to get your effective gear ratio up.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanks for all the info! I guess if I go the turbo way, I will run 28" or 29" tall tires and see how they run traction wise. Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

So now my ? is, where could I get shimmed valve springs and an estimate of what they would cost?(install hard?)
I thought I might elaborate this for ya steelstang so you could get a better understanding of what these guys are telling ya. When talking of shimming the valve springs theyre not talking about replacing them. You buy shims, which look like brass washers, that go between the valve springs you currently have, and the top deck of the head. You buy these shims in different thicknesses, like .010", .020", .030" and so on. They tighten the valve springs making them stronger. The stronger and tighter that your valve springs are, the tighter the valves close against the valve seats. The valve seats are what is being talked about when you have the machine shop do a 3 angle valve job, that means you have 3 different angles on the valve that makes contact with the 3 different angles on the valve seats. Factory we just have 1 angle that makes contact when the valves close So the more surface you have on the valves sealing, and the tighter those valves come up against the seat the better off you are. Doing this will make your top end of the engine stronger and will also let the engine rev to a higher rpm more safely. You have to pull the heads though to put the shims under the valve springs, so not only do you have to pay labor for this, that means you have to have new gasket kits to assemble everything back together, cannot reuse head gaskets. So those $10 shims can get into a pretty expensive job, I agree 100% with these other guys, you will need to do this upgrade.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the help wickerbill! This may be a costly project, but I think it will be a fun and desirable one. I now know what I need if I decide to do this in the future. Thanks again!