Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

need expert help!!!!2005 v6 dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:58 AM
capitalautomall
1st Gear Member

Default need expert help!!!!2005 v6 dual exhaust

hi everyone. im having problems with my 2005 stang v6. with dual exhaust. i just bought the car and it already have dual on it.......
hope that some expert here and answr my question.

Everytime when the weather is cold or when i just start warming out my car. once the rpm drop to 600-800 i will get this bad shaking or rattle from the center dash where the radio and alsounder the gear box.
i send the car back to ford and they told me becuz someone change the exhust system to dual and they mess it up. and it will cost me $2400 to buy a new exhaust system to fix it.
So i also try couple shop near where i work. like meineke ect.
STILL wont fix the problem.
until i found some tsb here and i print it out and take it to the shop. but they said the part is already been taken out. so it wont change a thing.
NOW i just dunno what to do anymore. will the problem be fix if i go buy a new exhaust system? and which one is good for v6?
IF anyone have an answer or the same problem please let me know. thank you
Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 PM
proper
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need expert help!!!!2005 v6 dual exhaust

i have something similar to that with my mustang but i havent gotten duals installed yet... i got it when I got my flowmaster 40... and I guess the vibration from the muffler caused some rattling somehwere around my gearbox area... basically it just sounded like quarters in my cupholders shaking but there isnt any quarters in there.. i usually just pushed the sides of where my shifter was and the noise stopped I think it was cuz something is loose there
Old 11-05-2007, 12:06 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

It is most likely the exhaust rattling against something under there. Bring it to an exhaust shop, it shouldnt cost more than $400 to fix if it is as simple as that. If not, you can buy a new exhaust from Ford Racing for $600, and get it installed. That would fix everything.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Do you know what kind of set up it is.....H or X pipe?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM
capitalautomall
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Do you know what kind of set up it is.....H or X pipe?
they cut theY pipe from organd put the H pipe in. And they took one of the conver out.
and before i lift the car up and i saw the pipe on driver side was kinda hitting the gas tank. they fix that .but the car still have a really bad VIBRATION.
ANd it only happen when i start up my car and drive for the first 5 mins. driving on the highway has no problem everytime come to a stop the car will make the vibration orwhen i doa slow trun. if i put the gear to N or R it will stop the vibration for 2 sec. then i will come back. i aslofeel that everytime i step on the gas just very lil. when a rpm passing 700-800 will feel that vibration.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

yup, i have rattle also and i have a h-pipe setup. i tried to figure it out for a while but now i feel its my dual exhaust. driver side pipe must be hitting something just enough to cause the noise.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:31 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Vibration & rattle are 2 different things.

Vibration is more of a "feel" and rattle is more of a "sound".

Does it sound like a metalic noise or is it just the whole car shaking making loose items in your console jump around?

My cupholders rattle (and the loose change, pen etc.) with the duals.

It is not neccessarily something wrong.

Your car has a non-stock exhaust system, don't expect it to act like stock.

Unless something is actually loose or physically banging on something, vibration is NORMAL with very low backpressure exhaust systems.

Rattles however, can mean something is physically not connected tightly.

Around 2200-2500 RPM in my car, the vibration is so pronounced, everything in the rear-view mirror is just a BLUR.

Kinda cool, but normal.

Empty out your console completely. Some of your noise will go away.

SOHC
Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

I would try and put the dampers back on the exhaust and see if that would help the vibration. shouldnt cost more than $20 to have them welding on.try looking for takeoff v6 muffler on ebay they have the dampers
Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
JimC

Take a look at your muffler hangers at the back of the car. How close are they to the bumper support? I had a vibration similar to yours and it turned out that my driver side muffler was back just a little too far andthelast hangerwould touch the metal support. Adjusted the system so that the muffler was further forward (and the tips were evened out much better also) and no more rattle or vibration.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:24 PM
capitalautomall
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimC

Take a look at your muffler hangers at the back of the car. How close are they to the bumper support? I had a vibration similar to yours and it turned out that my driver side muffler was back just a little too far andthelast hangerwould touch the metal support. Adjusted the system so that the muffler was further forward (and the tips were evened out much better also) and no more rattle or vibration.
thx to your all post and i have some ideato tell my mech when they take a look again tomorrow. very helpfull tips
and one more thing is that my driver side muffler are lower then my passage side one. people at the other muffler shop said thats the highest they can go. because there is no room for the v6.
from what i think it might be the pipe that is connect to the engine. something might be installed worng or hitting the bottom of the car. i think i should take some photo and post it here tomorrow.
by the way what im dealing with right now is really bad vibration. i feel like the whole dash and seat are vibrating. but what i dont understand is why it happen when the car just warm up. when im on idle or slow trun. i can go up to 105 on highway with no vibration or any rattle.

Quick Reply: need expert help!!!!2005 v6 dual exhaust