Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anybody else detail their under carriage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Default Anybody else detail their under carriage?

This evening I pulled the Pony up on the Rhino stands and started detailing the under carriage. I know, It sounds crazy. I mostly use Mobile 1 5W-30 on paper towels and wipe off anything that has surface rust. It wasn't to bad, as I've only been caught in the rain once and my mileage is so low after 10 months I'm to embarrassed to post it (Sandy knows how little I drive it).

Everything cleaned up well except over in the brake area of the rear wheels. FWIW, the rotors are spotless (I took delivery straight off the car carrier, see my avatar). It's hard getting in to those nooks and crannies. I just can't figure what Ford had in mind. Non of our Hondas or Acuras look anything like this, even after 8 years of both being a daily driver.

So is anyone else this obsessive / insane?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Brumby

Default RE: Anybody else detail their under carriage?

Nice looking "Pony"

You are very luck to get that license plate.

My next try will be for something like GITIYUP.....
Old 11-13-2007, 04:59 PM
05AV6
1st Gear Member

Yes, I quess I fall into the obsessive catagory as well. My 05 bought in Nov 04 has about 19,000 on it now. You could eat off of the car, bottom side also, interior as well. No grit or grime on the bottom of my Stang, looks assembly line fresh.Of course it's not a daily driver and it never goes out in the rain.So it really doesn't take a whole lot of effort to keep it clean.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

05 with 32k. yea im a cleaning fool. drives my wife nuts. permatex makes a rust neutralizer you brush on and it works well. best to paint over it after it cures. i live in upstate ny or the rust belt of america as we call it. dont drive it in the salt to keep it rust free. mine gets stored inside from november to march. its a longgggggggggggg winter though but spring time rocks!!!!!!!! but twenty years from now my stang will still look brand new!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

POR 15 my rear axle last time I changed my oil...
Hated that rusty thing[:@].

[IMG]local://upfiles/78700/A58ED6FFCB66446FB013C8393EC4E1B5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/78700/D8EDA1E632F9407693B55FE12AB0219A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry

This evening I pulled the Pony up on the Rhino stands and started detailing the under carriage. I know, It sounds crazy. I mostly use Mobile 1 5W-30 on paper towels and wipe off anything that has surface rust. It wasn't to bad, as I've only been caught in the rain once and my mileage is so low after 10 months I'm to embarrassed to post it (Sandy knows how little I drive it).

Everything cleaned up well except over in the brake area of the rear wheels. FWIW, the rotors are spotless (I took delivery straight off the car carrier, see my avatar). It's hard getting in to those nooks and crannies. I just can't figure what Ford had in mind. Non of our Hondas or Acuras look anything like this, even after 8 years of both being a daily driver.

So is anyone else this obsessive / insane?
Hey Barry, how many miles do you have on it now? I bet you have the least amount of miles for an '07.

I'm telling ya, get out and enjoy it.....we ain't getting any younger.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I have questioned the surface rust problem many times and concluded, it is supposed to be that way. Ugly as it may be, read this.....it's from the Ford website;

409 stainless has excellent forming characteristics and is rust through resistant.
A surface rust will form in most instances. This rust retards further corrosion.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I restored a lot of classic cars and POR 15 is the way to go for me.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang
Hey Barry, how many miles do you have on it now? I bet you have the least amount of miles for an '07.

I'm telling ya, get out and enjoy it.....we ain't getting any younger.
469 miles

She will be 10 months old next week.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 PM
optras
2nd Gear Member

mother's mag and aluminum polish eats rust off of almost anything. I use it in metalworking all the time and you can find it anywhere. I think it's about $2.50 a tin. I've used it on my sister's rims and you wouldn't know there was rust on them.

Quick Reply: Anybody else detail their under carriage?