Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who has better P&P heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Who has better P&P heads?

I was using the search function on here and 4.0 collective and read that Powerhouse411 heads are supposed to flow better(make more HP) than SSM heads. If this is true, how much does the powerhouse411 heads cost compared to ssm heads? I read that people with just ssm heads Stage 2+ have dyno'd only gains of 10-15rwhp. Anyone ever dyno'dPH411 heads alone? Thanks ahead for any info!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:45 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Who has better P&P heads?

Is the flavor of today NA power?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Is the flavor of today NA power?
You gotta read all my posts. . It was a consesus that if I wanted reliability, don't need 400hp and maybe not even 300hp, cheapest insurance possible,and have already put $4k~ into my mustang,a full bolt-on and suspension 4.0 seems like a good idea. Got any ideas on the heads?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:35 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

PH stopped doing heads and cams it seems
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Really? Damn. So now SSM is the only P&P heads distributor for our cars? Was my 10-15rwhp correct on everyone's updated dyno #'s? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:45 AM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

ur better off going to a machine shop and have them do the work for u. just ask around in ur area, i'm more than certain that someone knows a place that can port ur heads and do a good valve job for u, and probably even regrind ur cams to match for a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a set of heads and cams from SSM. and u might help urself with the labor costs, if u can do some of the work with them.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

That's an idea, but I hear engine shops won't P&P Heads as much as SSM will, so my gains could be even less than what looks low already if I don't get a cam. And does anyone know if a SSM cam destroys street drivability by moving up your powerband too high? Thanks ahead!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:26 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

They will do them if you are willing to take your car to thier shop. A lot of this has to do with QA on the cam install, specifically degreeing them. You can get cams for these cars, but if they are not degreed right they will not show a gain and would also most likely experience drivability issues.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:22 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

ORIGINAL: chrisc

They will do them if you are willing to take your car to thier shop. A lot of this has to do with QA on the cam install, specifically degreeing them. You can get cams for these cars, but if they are not degreed right they will not show a gain and would also most likely experience drivability issues.
it is weird, because it seems that PH and SSM make a big deal about having to get the cams degreed, but when I talked to my local shop, they said that degreeing is a normal thing to do with a cam install.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Good Info! So would a cam/head combo be a good mod for DD fun? I know heads I will see/feel the power, but the whole cam rpm thing is a little confusing. And does SSM make their cam for high hp instead of more lower end torque? Thanks ahead!

Quick Reply: Who has better P&P heads?